Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How to hook up new LED HDTV to older Receiver

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   lester12345

lester12345

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted April 07 2012 - 10:09 AM

I have an 8 yr old home theater system and I would like to purchase a new LED HDTV now. The receiver does NOT have HMDI capability. How would I hook up the wires between the Cable box (has HMDI), the TV and the Receiver? Can I hook up a HMDI cable between the cable box and TV and also use component cables (audio) between the cable box and the Receiver? Any other suggestions? How would you hook up the wiring to maximize audio and video of the system?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,535 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 07 2012 - 10:35 AM

Hi, Les, welcome to HTF! The HDMI between the cable box and the TV is separate from the audio from the cable box to the receiver. You can use analog stereo from the cable box (the red and white outputs). It is also possible that your cable box will have optical or coaxial digital that you can hook into your receiver via optical or coaxial cable. This would preserve 5.1 sound. It might also be possible to run sound from your TV to your receiver, although it might only be stereo. The advantage there would be that anything you hook up to the TV would play through the receiver...that's the way I have my downstairs TV set up. The upstairs TV, I have routed everything through the older receiver, but I have the TV hooked up to the receiver as well using coaxial digital (the only thing I get out of that is TV sound).

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,917 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted April 07 2012 - 07:16 PM

Steve had some good suggestions, but for better or worse plan on picking up an HDMI receiver at some point during the next year if you can find a good deal.  Wiring around it is just a PItA and not a good long term solution.  Denon has a refurbished entry level HDMI receiver for $150, and my dad picked up a mid-line Pioneer on Woot a few months ago for just over $250, so there are deals to be had.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   lester12345

lester12345

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted April 16 2012 - 11:06 AM

Hi, Les, welcome to HTF! The HDMI between the cable box and the TV is separate from the audio from the cable box to the receiver. You can use analog stereo from the cable box (the red and white outputs). It is also possible that your cable box will have optical or coaxial digital that you can hook into your receiver via optical or coaxial cable. This would preserve 5.1 sound. .

My receiver is 6.2 channel and I have 3 rear speakers, in addition to the 3 up front. Is there a way to use all 6 channels? Also, if I buy a blu ray 3d DVD player, I assume I can use another optical cable (receiver can receive 2) from dvd to receiver. How can I get full use of the 6.2 channel receiver?

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,535 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 16 2012 - 03:25 PM

My receiver is 6.2 channel and I have 3 rear speakers, in addition to the 3 up front. Is there a way to use all 6 channels?

Your receiver should have a setting that engages all speakers, like Dolby Prologic Iix. Your receiver should also have settings that indicate if you are using 1 or 2 back surround channels. I presume you have it set to 1.

Also, if I buy a blu ray 3d DVD player, I assume I can use another optical cable (receiver can receive 2) from dvd to receiver. How can I get full use of the 6.2 channel receiver?

Yes, but you will not get high-resolution audio. That is something you would get with an HDMI receiver, or a receiver that has 7.1 inputs paired to a blu-ray player that has 7.1 outputs.