Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

If at first you don't succeed "Out of Africa" done right - List of discs in need of correction

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts

Posted April 07 2012 - 11:09 AM

Universal did the right thing: They remastered "Out of Africa" for the 100th Anniversary release - after the original blu-ray was meet with negative reviews regarding quality. Universal is even offering an exchange if you bought the first disc!!   Though Universal did not do the same with "Spartacus"  wonder why?   Maybe? If these titles keep appearing on these types of lists - something will be done to fix them and buyers will know which titles to avoid   Discs in need of an upgrade (along the lines of "Out of Africa") and buyer beware:   Patton The Longest Day (Rumor has it Fox has been working of new masters of these two films)   Spartacus My Fair Lady The Greatest Story Ever Told     others?    

#2 of 20 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 07 2012 - 01:14 PM

West Side Story Lord of the Rings (TE, first movie especially)  

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,137 posts

Posted April 07 2012 - 02:25 PM

Pandora And The Flying Dutchman

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,169 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 07 2012 - 06:26 PM

Gulliver's Travels (1939).

One-Eyed Jacks.

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,411 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted April 07 2012 - 06:28 PM

The Big Lebowski   How is the Bullitt BD?

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,428 posts

Posted April 07 2012 - 08:21 PM

Practical Magic--yikes! What a mess!

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,169 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 08 2012 - 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas in CT /t/319866/if-at-first-you-dont-succeed-out-of-africa-done-right-list-of-discs-in-need-of-correction#post_3914297 The Big Lebowski   How is the Bullitt BD?
I thought Bullitt looked very good, but I admit I haven't watched it in some time, so it may not stack up to the best recent Blu-ray releases.  

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   fxrh

fxrh

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted April 08 2012 - 01:35 PM

The Blu-ray of Bullitt is decent, but there's a dreadful editing mistake during the chase scene that was inadvertently introduced in this latest transfer. The original film contains a shot where the bad guys' vehicle rounds a San Francisco street corner too quickly and careens into a parked car. There are several very quick cuts at the moment of impact where black frames have been inserted. These create an unexpected strobe-like effect that increases the sense of impact. I had often pointed out this shot to friends, praising its cleverness. The black frames have now been removed and replaced with the very beginning of the shot (before the bad guys' car comes into frame) and the damaged car is magically restored! I suppose that somebody working on the transfer thought that the strobing effect was a mistake and proceeded to "correct" it. Oops. The previous versions of Bullitt on tape and DVD leave this shot unmolested, preserving the strobing effect.

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Nick Laslett

Nick Laslett

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted April 09 2012 - 11:58 PM

You could also add Gangs of New York, that had a disappointing initial release and was then remastered. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl had a framing issue during the blacksmith duel, that was addressed with a re-issue. Saving Private Ryan had a sound glitch that was corrected with a re-issue. I know the initial release of Traffic had some issues, but have not really followed that one closely. Again with The Fifith Element, problems with initial release that I believe were addressed. So, thank you HTF and AVS communitites for remaining vigilant for sub-standard discs. Thank you Film Studios for addressing the issue with: Gangs of New York, Pirates of the Caribbean, Saving Private Ryan and Out of Africa I caved and brought West Side Story, as I don't see a fix coming for a long time if ever. I will happily buy Patton and Spartacus when they are fixed. Off the top of my head, the following disc purchases are on hold awaiting fixed versions: Animal House, American Werewolf in London, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, The Thing.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted April 11 2012 - 12:54 PM

Scrooge - missing overture.

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted April 11 2012 - 07:00 PM

There's a ton of movies that look like crap on BD and could benefit from a remaster. Unfortunately, most of them just don't get the attention that these higher profile debacles get. Here are the sorriest looking titles in my collection: The 40-Year-Old Virgin Dark City The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (and A Fistful of Dollars while we're at it) A History of Violence Mission: Impossible 2 The Mummy The Mummy Returns Patriot Games (I don't own the other Jack Ryan movies so I can't judge) Patton Spartacus But I own a ton of stuff that could use a new master/encode. Pretty much every early catalog release from Warners, MGM, Fox, Universal, and Paramount has that soft DVD-master look to it. Early Paramount titles look like straight DVD upconversions.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,500 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted April 11 2012 - 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray H /t/319866/if-at-first-you-dont-succeed-out-of-africa-done-right-list-of-discs-in-need-of-correction#post_3915669 But I own a ton of stuff that could use a new master/encode. Pretty much every early catalog release from Warners, MGM, Fox, Universal, and Paramount has that soft DVD-master look to it. Early Paramount titles look like straight DVD upconversions.
The early Paramount Blu-Rays looked like they were soaked in DNR, particularly Coming to AmericaFatal Attraction and The Untouchables. They seem to have learned their lesson.   West Side Story was supposed to get a correction. I broke down and bought it with the anticipation of a correction. I even sent in the disc and got back the new one, but I'm still waiting for a real correction.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#13 of 20 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 11 2012 - 09:56 PM

I'd like to see a remaster of  Grease with the original Paramount logo and the original soundtrack mix.

#14 of 20 ONLINE   moovtune

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator

• 130 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 12 2012 - 07:04 AM

I'd like a new "Fiddler on the Roof" with that one song number having fixed sync. It's dreadfully out as it is.

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,500 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted April 12 2012 - 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric scott richard /t/319866/if-at-first-you-dont-succeed-out-of-africa-done-right-list-of-discs-in-need-of-correction#post_3915704 I'd like to see a remaster of  Grease with the original Paramount logo and the original soundtrack mix.
Seconded. I don't know what Randal Kleiser was thinking approving that mix. The male back-up singers on the second verse of "You're the One that I Want" are so badly out of sync it's not funny.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#16 of 20 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 12 2012 - 08:17 AM

He also added background singers to "Hopelessly Devoted to You" (also drowning out sound effects at the end of the song.)

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   AL KUENSTER

AL KUENSTER

Second Unit

• 359 posts

Posted April 12 2012 - 09:15 AM

The Fugitive needs work also
Al Kuenster

#18 of 20 ONLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted April 12 2012 - 03:21 PM

RE: Grease IMDB's alternate versions section claims that early Home Video/TV versions deleted all Doris Day references from the Sandra Dee number. Was the very first home video release from the late 1970s (with the static PHV logo, that was primarily seen on Paramount Betamax releases) one of them?
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 708 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 12 2012 - 03:36 PM

Hate to nitpick on something that is so good..almost, but IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD should put back in the Entr'acte Music, and separate a bit the Overture to Main Title. Of course, getting the roadshow original would be best. And although Robert Harris disagrees, I would have liked the police calls added to the intermission as a seamless branching option. I will not live long enough to see the roadshow version, I fear.

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,428 posts

Posted April 12 2012 - 08:59 PM

Add Purple Rain to the list. I just watched it. It looked upscaled from a dvd; you can see lots of digital scaling. It really just looks like you're watching a dvd. All that sharpness and sparkle is just gone; it looks foggy and digital. I don't know how authentic the soundtrack is to the original film, but it needs more BASS and badly!!! I can't believe they'd put out this film with an Oscar-winning score and let it sound so weak. Maybe that's the way it sounded in the theaters back in 1984, but the songs sound very very flat compared to the soundtrack CD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users