What's new

Bruce Willis wants to donate his ski resort at Soldier Mt. to a non-profit (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Bruce Willis and his former wife once owned much of Hailey, Idaho, and also were the main owners of the nearby Soldier Mountain ski resort. I guess times aren't so great on the Willis front: he's selling much of his holdings and now has offered to donate the Soldier Mountain ski resort to a non-profit group that will step up to keep the place operating.
http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2005141448
I guess operating at a loss for several years isn't helping his cash flow any.
I don't ski anymore but I would guess that Soldier Mountain is in a tough spot. Boise has the local Bogus Basin resort 15 miles from downtown, and it's a non-profit that fits family budgets. If you drive 2 hours from Boise you can be in well-known Sun Valley. From Boise it's about 2/3 of the way to Sun Valley to get to Soldier Mountain.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Don't mean to sound so cynical, and he will hopefully donate it to a good cause, but I'm sure he'll get a big charity tax write off so it's not the wonderful altruistic thing everyone thinks it may be.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't think it is ever claimed that he is being altruistic. I'm pretty sure most people suspect he is doing it for tax purposes; however, even with a tax write off he probably isn't going to come out ahead if the business has been losing money steadily. At least the non-profit route gives the employees there a chance at preserving their jobs if the business can be saved. At the same time Willis cuts some of his losses. It looks like the best chance at creating a win-win situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks