Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

PHE Press Release: Barbarella (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,158 posts

Posted April 03 2012 - 04:07 AM

JANE FONDA STARS IN THE AUDACIOUS CULT CLASSIC 
BLASTING OFF ON BLU-RAY FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER

Posted Image

BARBARELLA

Experience the Daring Sci-Fi Fantasy in High Definition July 3, 2012

http://www.amazon.co...33567216&sr=8-1

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. – Who can perform a zero-gravity striptease, seduce an angel and still have time to save the universe?  Sexy, sultry, space adventurer BARBARELLA, that’s who!  Coming in for a landing on Blu-ray for the first time ever on July 3, 2012, the terrifically titillating sci-fi romp BARBARELLA continues to entertain with its outrageous, out-of-this-world story and brazen sexuality.  
Jane Fonda stars as the titular heroine who lands on the planet Lythion in the year 40,000.  Faced with robots, monsters and evil of varying stripes, she must vanquish her enemies, all while attempting—and failing—to keep her skin-tight spacesuit on.  Along the way she receives assistance from a variety of handsome men, each of whom receives her uninhibited appreciation.  Directed by Roger Vadim (Fonda’s ex-husband), BARBARELLA is a kind of sexual Alice in Wonderland of the future and the film is replete with psychedelic set designs, far-out characters and an outrageously entertaining story set amongst the stars.

The BARBARELLA Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English Mono Dolby TrueHD, French Mono Dolby Digital and Spanish Mono Dolby Digital and English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.  The Blu-ray includes the theatrical trailer in high definition.

About Paramount Home Media Distribution

Paramount Home Media Distribution (PHMD) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment.  PPC is a unit of Viacom (NASDAQ: VIA, VIAB), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands.  The PHMD division oversees PPC’s home entertainment, digital and television distribution activities worldwide. The division is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment content on behalf of Paramount Pictures, Paramount Animation, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Insurge Pictures, MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, CBS and PBS and for providing home entertainment fulfillment services for DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment.  PHMD additionally manages global licensing of studio content and distribution across worldwide digital and television distribution platforms including online, mobile and portable devices and emerging technologies.

#  #  #

BARBARELLA Blu-ray

Street Date:                          July 3, 2012

Suggested retail price:            $24.99 U.S./$26.99 Canada

Runtime:                                98 minutes

U.S. Rating:                            PG

Canadian Rating:                   14A

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted April 03 2012 - 03:34 PM

Well, the extras listed are an enormous let down. Exactly the same synopsis as the old DVD, as far as I see and most worrying of all a PG rating. Will this mean the 1977 Star Wars cash-in edit - in which case no sale. Will it even have any restoration? In the words of the Bard - I have a bad feeling about this...
J Mark Oates
Do Not Be Afraid. That sound is simply my mind boggling.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux

Supporting Actor

• 788 posts

Posted April 03 2012 - 05:48 PM

Barbarella was originally rated "M" (suggested for mature audiences) not "R" (Restricted, no one under 16 admitted). How this didn't pass for an "R" with the amount of brazen nudity and sexual situations on display is beyond me.

In late 1968 the "M" rating was rechristened "GP" (for General Patronage). The "GP" rating of course became "PG" (Parental Guidance) shortly thereafter. Barbarella's PG rating baffled me as a kid (shhhh!) watching this boob-drenched spectacle late night on Cinemax. I was definitely "Fonda" Jane. Hello, pretty pretty...

Posted Image
My DVDs

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,024 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 04 2012 - 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Perregaux /t/319778/barbarella-blu-ray-available-for-preorder#post_3913225 Barbarella was originally rated "M" (suggested for mature audiences) not "R" (Restricted, no one under 16 admitted). How this didn't pass for an "R" with the amount of brazen nudity and sexual situations on display is beyond me. In late 1968 the "M" rating was rechristened "GP" (for General Patronage). The "GP" rating of course became "PG" (Parental Guidance) shortly thereafter. Barbarella's PG rating baffled me as a kid (shhhh!) watching this boob-drenched spectacle late night on Cinemax. I was definitely "Fonda" Jane. Hello, pretty pretty...  
Actually the MPAA rating system did not start rating films until November 1, 1968 and Barbarella was released in the US on October 10, 1968.  The MPAA and studios would use the "Suggested For Mature Audiences" as a bridge for films that were considered risque at the time before the rating system went into effect.  Virgina Woolf was the first in 1966 to use a type of  "Suggested For Mature Audiences" as did several films before the rating system came into effect. Paramount could have submitted the film for a rating, but may have declined to do so in fear of an R rating.  In 1977 they eventually submitted it for a rating and received a PG but with very minor cuts.  The only actual rating Barbarella has ever received was the PG in 1977.   The M rating went to GP in January of 1970 and in February 1972 it changed again to PG.   
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,158 posts

Posted April 04 2012 - 11:25 AM

Updated thread with official press release and cover art

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,728 posts

Posted April 04 2012 - 07:36 PM

What a surprise. I thought Paramount didn't care much about putting out it's back catalog on Blu Ray? Diabolik would be great too.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Mauro Colella

Mauro Colella

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted April 05 2012 - 09:23 AM

"Diabolik would be great too."   Absolutely! Have the DVD and I'm sure the BD would look great.    

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted April 05 2012 - 04:59 PM

I would prefer Diabolik on Blu-ray, actually. It's a much better film. Infinitely.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jane Fonda said on a talk show that Barbarella was a disappointment at the box-office. She said that the sexy image of her did not become "iconic" until much later. She thinks it could have been a better film, and thinks it could do better at the box-office today. She says she might produce a remake with Angelina Jolie as Barbarella.

Glad to see Paramount is sticking with the 1977 re-release poster art. It can't be improved on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users