What's new

Fox, classic TV, and their licensees (1 Viewer)

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
People like MatthewA and TVonDVDJunkie05 are claiming that Shout's relationship with Fox has gone south and both parties hate each others guts. Yet across the pond, Fox's relationship with Revelation Films is just fine. No disputes whatsoever. They're up to season 5 of L.A. Law, they put out Chicago Hope, Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place, and even Doogie Howser, M.D. (which Anchor Bay already did over 5 years ago).
So what's going on here? Does anyone have any logical explanation for this? Is the economy supposedly better across the pond than it is here?

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
I have no official info, its just speculation on my part but based on what I see it appears as though there is something going on between the two companies. If the relationship between the two has not soured then why have we not see any further releases of the shows that Shout! had the rights to like Mr. Belvedere?! If we assume that those shows suffered from low sales and thus that is why no more seasons were released then what about other Fox shows that Shout! could possibly license?! I think they would have taken a chance on other series like Hill Street Blues, L.A. Law, St. Elsewhere, Newhart & The Bob Newhart Show (final 2 seasons).

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
TVonDVDJunkie05 said:
I have no official info, its just speculation on my part but based on what I see it appears as though there is something going on between the two companies.  If the relationship between the two has not soured then why have we not see any further releases of the shows that Shout! had the rights to like Mr. Belvedere?!  If we assume that those shows suffered from low sales and thus that is why no more seasons were released then what about other Fox shows that Shout! could possibly license?!  I think they would have taken a chance on other series like Hill Street Blues, L.A. Law, St. Elsewhere, Newhart & The Bob Newhart Show (final 2 seasons).
It's been mentioned several times on these boards that the issue is FOX wants increased licence fees for their shows - including ones with previous seasons-volumes out.
This is why there hasn't been a PEYTON PLACE set 3, or what VCI hasn't released any more BURKE'S LAWS and ZANE GRAY THEATER shows.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
The stats on the Fox shows, according to the details on the "What's the Hold-up?" FAQ on tvshowsondvd:
Mr. Belvedere: Rights to remaining episodes held by the licensor. If Shout had them, they would have released them tomorrow.
Rhoda: Ditto.
Small Wonder: Proved to be a novelty title as most people were comfortable owning just one season of. Second season performed even worse than expected.
Peyton Place: Low sales. (I don't think the supposed soured relationship has anything to do with it, Denny).
Room 222: Low sales.
The Paper Chase: Low sales.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I can't reveal my source but I know of a company that tried to do a deal with Fox on several of the MGM titles, which they are handling for MGM. The shows being inquired about were not major shows by any stretch of the imagination - some single season 60s failed sitcoms and a couple of Ziv titles. The licensing fees they wanted would make it impossible for any company to not lose a lot of money. They just have an overinflated idea as to how much these shows would actually sell. If they would sell in the amounts Fox thinks they would, Fox would put them out themselves. What hurts matters even worse is that Fox has neglected their own back catalog for so long that even the shows that they own that might have had some value have been so long out of syndication that they are now too obscure. That, plus the fact that they've never remastered the majority of their shows. So they want high fees for substandard elements, a deadly combination. Give us big money and we'll give you lovely 35 year old dirty 16mm tape transfers from faded prints. Gee, can't imagine why companies aren't jumping at that.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
I don't care if they're from dirty 16mm transfers or not.
Sometimes, they may make disturbing changes in remastering, that you'd never think they would.
I hope Fox doesn't plan on releasing the rest of the seasons of the shows I mentioned. After they got away with butchering WKRP (as if it hadn't been butchered enough already) and The Fall Guy (music edits galore in that one), they do not deserve to releasing ANYTHING classic TV themselves. Ever again.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
So how come there are no problems with Fox in the U.K. for the reasons I state in my original post? Anyone know why?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Brock /t/319773/fox-classic-tv-and-their-licensees#post_3912926
I can't reveal my source but I know of a company that tried to do a deal with Fox on several of the MGM titles, which they are handling for MGM.
I heard the same thing, Neil. It really is a shame.

Gary "just about any ZIV show would be on my purchasing radar" O.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
So, no one wants to answer my question as to why there's doesn't seem to be any problem with Fox licensing in the U.K. compared to here?

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
It's been mentioned several times on these boards that the issue is FOX wants increased licence fees for their shows - including ones with previous seasons-volumes out.

Sorry but this is the first I have heard about that on here, even though I suspected as much- was this issue mentioned in threads about specific shows because I don't recall it being mentioned in any Fox related thread?! The people running things at Fox must be out of their minds- do they seriously think that there is someone out there who is going to pay them the ludicrous fees they are demanding?! Good move on Shout! Factory's part not to give in to Fox's ridiculous demands, although realistically I think the only shows Shout! would have probably continued with (if they were able to come to an agreement with Fox) were Mr. Belvedere and Rhoda as the others did not do well from what has been mentioned. Does anyone know if Shout! still has the rights to the seasons of the shows they released or are these out of print now?!

Originally Posted by vnisanian2001 /t/319773/fox-classic-tv-and-their-licensees#post_3912994
So, no one wants to answer my question as to why there's doesn't seem to be any problem with Fox licensing in the U.K. compared to here?
I was going to ask the same thing, are there different rules for the UK?! I noticed that not only has Fabulous Films acquired the rights to several FOX shows but they are also going to be releasing a season of each show every few months. Doogie Howser, M.D. and Two Guys and a Girl will probably be finished up by the end of the year at the rate they are going to be releasing these shows- that is amazing! It appears they have committed to releasing all the series they have acquired the rights to, in their entirety without even knowing how they will perform- sales wise?! Damn, I wish studios would take this approach here in Region 1 with their releases. The only company I can think of that did this was Alliance Films here in Canada who were pumping out releases one after the other when they first started putting out some TV shows a few years ago.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am Sorry I just read this and of course cannot keep my mouth shut.
PEYTON PLACE sales were good enough to have a 3rd set released!!! Your thread is a very good one because it zeros in on the problem. You have to independent problems over at Fox. Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea was held by Fox Home Entertainment and Peyton Place came under the title of this thread. I do not know if there is one person in charge of both. I know they are separate. Business Affairs and Home Entertainment . I suppose they both could report to James Finn I do not know.
The bad blood reported no! Hey this is business not I am going to keep a show from you because I hate you! Yes I am sure Fox would like more money or the same money from Shout for unrestored prints of Peyton Place. I cannot comment on the other programs. I also refuse to state this is inside info on my part. I do not know how Shout feels or pretend to know how they feel. I just know to keep Peyton Place in a vault when it could be out making money for both sides is insane.
What I have stated here is just what I know from pushing Peyton Place. I do know that Fox will not deal with one company who has requested some of their series. Why Business Affairs takes this position I have no idea.
The only explanation is they will develope in the future some MOD program. The fact they have given Twiilight Time one movie a month may be good indication they will do the same withe their classic series.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know who is currently the CEO of Fox's home entertainment division, how long has he been the CEO of it, and which other companies has he worked with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks