What's new

THE KEEP (1983) Might Be Coming To DVD (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Someone made a post on AV Maniacs yesterday that said this: "It seems that Paramount is currently working on an HD master of this film..." I discounted this since it was April Fool's Day, but on the off chance it was true, I emailed the guy to ask him if he was being serious, or pulling a prank.

Here's what he told me: [FONT= 'lucida grande']"No it isn't a joke, a FaceBook friend of mine who is working for dvd companies posted last week on his FB wall the news that Paramount has a new HD master for the film, so i guess that this year a dvd or Blu Ray will be released."[/FONT]

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
so i guess that this year a dvd or Blu Ray will be released."
Or next year...to coincide with its 30th Anniversary. Paramount is big on anniversaries. I'm sre thats when the Terms of Endearment Blu will be released.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
...or Paramount may let someone else handle it. What if this is one of Shout!'s Halloween titles? Having an HD master doesn't necessarily mean there's a DVD forthcoming but this film was actually announced, or was being prepared for release some time ago. Maybe the time is now.
At this point I only want a fully-loaded SE with director Michael Mann involvement. A barebones release just won't cut it - this film hasn't been treated well on video and it deserves the proper attention.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Hmmm, interesting theory, Luis. Hard to say which it is, whether Paramount would hold onto to it to release themselves next year, or give it to someone, like Shout to release THIS Halloween. Let me ask Cliff. If it's not, he'll shoot it down pronto.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
elDomenechHTF said:
...or Paramount may let someone else handle it. What if this is one of Shout!'s Halloween titles? Having an HD master doesn't necessarily mean there's a DVD forthcoming but this film was actually announced, or was being prepared for release some time ago. Maybe the time is now.
I think Paramount proper will release this themselves as they intended to a few years back (also announced about the same time as 2 MIA titles-Bugsy Malone and Little Darlings.
Paramount has been agressive about getting catalog titles seen Many never been on video titles are on Netflix and Amazon streaming; their prestige films go out through Criterion ; Legend got out at least 2 dozen titles and Olive has been cranking them out. Paramount proper has been doing great catalog Blu 's and soon we may have a Paramount channel (it seems alot of their older movies are getting play on Sony Channel now).
They've been doing an outstanding job except for allowing a gangster name Bugsy Malone Keep away all those Little Darlings we call our holy grails.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
What a dream come true this would be. I am so tired of searching for a decent transfer of this movie. I streamed the Netflix version and it had the best visuals I had ever seen. A bluray, directors cut with 5.1 channel of the outstanding Tangerine Dream soundtrack would be a Godsend. I'd be in line day one for an order.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Just read over at Digital Bits that Paramount plans to release CLUE and BARBARELLA on Blu-ray (it's probably old news but this is the first I hear about it) so it makes sense that they might do THE KEEP themselves as opposed to sourcing it out. I got a chance to see the film via a bootleg I obtained online. I wasn't terribly impressed by it but after reading about the cuts made and the alternate soundtrack I think I may feel differently after viewing a completely restored version in hi-def. I don't know if I'll be interested in buying a regular theatrical version if this hits BD, though.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
elDomenechHTF said:
Just read over at Digital Bits that Paramount plans to release CLUE and BARBARELLA on Blu-ray (it's probably old news but this is the first I hear about it) so it makes sense that they might do THE KEEP themselves as opposed to sourcing it out. I got a chance to see the film via a bootleg I obtained online. I wasn't terribly impressed by it but after reading about the cuts made and the alternate soundtrack I think I may feel differently after viewing a completely restored version in hi-def. I don't know if I'll be interested in buying a regular theatrical version if this hits BD, though.
there is a rumored 3 hr version of the film that is supposedly Michael Mann's true vision of what he wanted The Keep to be. As is, the edited version is reportedly shunned by both Mann and F. Paul Wilson as well. I really enjoy the film, even as is, would be very curious as to what the "Director's Cut" would be like, esp with a Michael Mann commentary. Since it has only been released on VHS and Laser Disc, I would even be happy with a remastered DVD release.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
I think Paramount is holding on to this, Little Darlings, Bugsy Malone, 1492 and Looking for Mr. Goodbar sensing that they will sell very well.
Mr.Mann's disdain of the studio cut of The Keep is warranting him restoring this to his vision. I see this as a Criterion release , much as they did with other genre films such as Robinson Crusoe on Mars. Its being announced and than retracted shows second thoughts on Paramounts part. Very little of their 80s library deserves Crterion treatment-Terms of Endearment, An Officer and a Gentleman will go the Par Blu ray way-so the slim pickins bodes well for The Keep. Its fans will want nothing less than at least a Blu ray, and Criterions relationship with Paramount has zoomed in on their quirkier titles -Crusoe, White Dog, Ace in the Hole, If....-all nonexistent boxoffice performers yet their discs make them seem like long time classics. The Keep fits the criteria.
Like Manns film, I think Ridley Scott's sought after 1492-will also get the Criterion treatment. Both films are too good not to deseve some attention and the labls niche library of uderperforming boxoffice failures will make both acclaimed directors feel villified that their films will receive special treatment. It is the films 20th Anni as well.
Looking For Mr. Goodbar, on its 35th anniversary -screams out for a deluxe treatment as well. The
Oscar nominated cinematography has never been seen to any advantage on the muddy looking vhs. This is too good to be delegated to Olive's bare bones discs. At the very least a Paramount deluxe Blu -but they seem to be relegating them to their classics

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks