Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sooo... I bought a wifi enabled fridge... :)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,045 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 02 2012 - 02:05 AM

How can you tell how big a geek I am? I don't have a bed here yet but my new fridge has twitter :P http://t.co/X4DeKZqZ Pretty slick so far, gonna try out pandora next. It was actually cheaper than the same model without wifi. And you guys thought i'd never really embrace android :P More to follow.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,645 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 02 2012 - 09:33 AM

Just wait until your fridge gets a virus and all your food spoils! :D

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,535 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 02 2012 - 09:40 AM

I actually wired my kitchen for Ethernet 12 years ago when I had my house built. I have not used it, and wifi is a much more practical solution.

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,045 posts

Posted April 02 2012 - 11:32 AM

Yeah, as far as I can tell there is no physical ethernet port1

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,460 posts

Posted April 05 2012 - 12:15 PM

Do they make a 3g or 4g enabled version? But I don't want to be tied to a 2 year contract.

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,045 posts

Posted April 06 2012 - 01:42 AM

Wifi only =p And there was an update on it when I used it this AM. Hit cancel, will have to let the early adopters test it out and see what went in. I am LOVING pandora on it. Sam

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,045 posts

Posted April 06 2012 - 01:47 AM

More info for you guys: http://www.samsung.c...-on-your-fridge http://www.engadget....mb-3-499-price/ http://mashable.com/...g-refrigerator/ http://www.engadget....d-tweets-we-go/ http://www.samsung.c.../RF4289HARS/XAA http://www.samsung.c.../RF4289HARS/XAA According to the apps page, the list price is now over $3600, I paid $2450!

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,257 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted April 11 2012 - 11:11 AM

It's cool in a ridiculous technology way. But what do you actually do with it? Why would you stream Pandora on a fridge except as a technology demo?

Does the wifi enable any refrigeratory functions that improve the storage of foods and foodstuffs? :)

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,045 posts

Posted April 12 2012 - 02:11 PM

I guess it does but I am not using it thatway. What I AM using it for: Pandora until my real HT is set up. Weather and news as I reach for the milk. That's the killer apps for me.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,257 posts

Posted April 12 2012 - 02:24 PM

Weather would be cool and very useful for me in the morning. I never think to check My-Cast or the Notification Center for the forecast before heading out.

I'm not sure I'd admit to listening to music on my fridge ;)

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,250 posts

Posted April 13 2012 - 06:49 AM

I guess it does but I am not using it thatway. What I AM using it for: Pandora until my real HT is set up. Weather and news as I reach for the milk. That's the killer apps for me.

Sam, don't mean to sound rude, but why? If this were something from the Jetson's era and always stayed filled with your favorite foods delivered automatically by little robots and cleaned itself, that's understandable. But what refrigerator is worth $2450, they all have a freezer and refrigerator section, probably an icemaker and running water, but what else is really necessary? And isn't Pandora just a fancy radio? Once again, I apologize and don't mean to be rude or snarky, but what can a wifi refrigerator do that makes it worth that price?
Stan

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,045 posts

Posted April 13 2012 - 07:16 AM

Size. Styling. Finger print minimizing stainless. Hard to get 28cubic foot fridges for much cheaper than that to begin with and the Sammys caught my eye and minimum requirements long before i fould the deal on the one with the toy. Not rude at all!

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,257 posts

Posted April 13 2012 - 02:23 PM

When I was in grad school, I had a friend who was studying in RIT's Human Factors (or whatever it was called) major. One course's final project was...of course...the design of the computerized, networked fridge. He showed me their design and interaction concept. I don't recall what it was now, but I'm pretty sure it didn't have an internet music streaming service. :)

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,379 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted April 15 2012 - 05:41 AM

Once again, I apologize and don't mean to be rude or snarky, but what can a wifi refrigerator do that makes it worth that price?

Judging by the Best Buy adds, a frig priced in the $2K range is not that unusual. They tend to be bigger ones, but still, that's a chunk of change. Wifi aside, what does make a frig worth that much? Wifi doesn't cost that much, and short of robots replenishing the food supply, I don't have a need for it. Why should anyone pay $2K plus for a frig. I'm asking in the same tone as Stan, I want to understand.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,047 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted April 15 2012 - 06:07 AM

And here I am using an icebox.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,257 posts

Posted April 15 2012 - 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Stan 

Sam, don't mean to sound rude, but why? If this were something from the Jetson's era and always stayed filled with your favorite foods delivered automatically by little robots and cleaned itself, that's understandable. But what refrigerator is worth $2450, they all have a freezer and refrigerator section, probably an icemaker and running water, but what else is really necessary? And isn't Pandora just a fancy radio?
Once again, I apologize and don't mean to be rude or snarky, but what can a wifi refrigerator do that makes it worth that price?

To me, that's a decent price for a French Door fridge with in-door water and ice maker, freezer below, and a veggie drawer.  think I'd end up getting this, but I may be fridge shopping this year and that fridge is basically what I want (though I'd skip the integrated computer, for my tastes :)

As to why anyone would pay $2000 for a fridge...people here on the forum regularly pay $500-$1000 for tablet computers that are replaced every two years. Double that for an appliance that's replaced every decade doesn't seem so crazy Posted Image

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,250 posts

Posted April 15 2012 - 02:57 PM

To me, that's a decent price for a French Door fridge with in-door water and ice maker, freezer below, and a veggie drawer.  think I'd end up getting this, but I may be fridge shopping this year and that fridge is basically what I want (though I'd skip the integrated computer, for my tastes :) As to why anyone would pay $2000 for a fridge...people here on the forum regularly pay $500-$1000 for tablet computers that are replaced every two years. Double that for an appliance that's replaced every decade doesn't seem so crazy :)

Compared to a French Door fridge I can see your point. My mother has one and it was a similar price. If I remember correctly, at the time, about five years ago, she told me the in-door water/ice maker was almost $1000 more, so she passed on that option. As for the tablet computers, I'd bet they're less than $200 in a year or so. The way prices drop on electronics can be pretty shocking. Not necessarily electronic, but I'll bet I spent thousands on DVDs that I could now get for a few hundred dollars.
Stan

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,045 posts

Posted April 16 2012 - 01:10 AM

Right, i wanted a stainless steel (to match my other appliances, im not a fan of the look itself) french door fridge in the biggest size available to ensure I have enough room for the stuff for me and two roomates will bring individually. Try doing that for under $2k, its tough. For $2450 i got all that and more. Im not saying i couldnt have gone cheaper, but to get all of what I wanted in addition to what I really needed this is simply the price of entry. Take a look at the Weekly ads, you'll see the non wifi ones can be over $2800

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted April 17 2012 - 06:16 AM

Looks neat.

Did a quick search and I see that Belkin makes an iPad refrigerator mount as well.

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,045 posts

Posted April 18 2012 - 02:23 AM

Neat!