Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I've got a new dog!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

#161 of 294 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,020 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 06 2013 - 05:50 PM

No to be a downer to a happy thread...I've had at least 3 dogs for 20+ years, currently have 6.Our bull terrier/lab came down with heartworms last fall. Heartgard her entire life(like the rest). Anyway, did the arsenic at the vet(partially paid by Heartgard). At the 6mo check...positive for worms.Re-check next month. If positive again(vet said "could be false positive"), Heartgard isn't paying anything(already checked, would be a "improper dosing problem").Not sure(me or vet) if arsenic on a second round is a good idea. Young dog(5) and shows no signs of heartworm(no coughing, labored breathing, choking when eating).Anybody tried the 18mo remedy? There are two drugs(lyme and what Heartgard essentially is) you can get at Tractor Supply and do it yourself...Anybody been through this?

#162 of 294 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 32,414 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 06 2013 - 06:28 PM

Never been through anything like that, Sam...involving heartworms.

But I think I'd stick with the vet's recommendations...assuming you are confident in and happy with your vet. 

Doesn't sound like something I'd try to take on myself. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#163 of 294 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,020 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 06 2013 - 06:47 PM

I'm not sold on this vet. We've been handed to the "fresh from Purdue" greenhorn. And yes, Purdue is one of the best vet schools in the country...One other dog(by the way, both full time outdoor) had "some other worm" that causes, uhm, messes...nothing real serious...But, all my dogs get "outdoor dog shots" appropriate to Indiana. They even get flea/tick pills/shots (depending on size of dog if shot or pill).The one dog that had "the other worm" has a habit of bringing presents(birds, raccoons, rabbits...one time brought a skunk). And not uncommon for him to "miss breakfast" for 2-3 days. Dogs around here roam openly to keep fox/wolf at bay.This vet(company) is known for "helping their bottom dollar"...Anyway, odd the sheltered dog(if I'm not there, she hides in the barn) has the worms.

#164 of 294 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 32,414 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 06 2013 - 07:22 PM

Sam:

My wife passed on this link to me (she's my "dog expert"). You might find some good information HERE. 

Who knew there was an American Heartwork Society?!?  And you even get to pay dues!  :biggrin:

Good luck!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#165 of 294 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,287 posts

Posted July 06 2013 - 08:59 PM

I'm not sold on this vet. We've been handed to the "fresh from Purdue" greenhorn. And yes, Purdue is one of the best vet schools in the country... 

The "greenhorns" have to get experience somewhere. My vet was freshly hired from Washington State University when I started taking my pets to her (another man had started the practice 20+ years ago, so he was always there to assist if needed).

When one of my cats needed to be put sleep about ten years ago from kidney failure, she was literally more upset than I was, both of us in tears as she completed the process.

She's been wonderful for years and I'd never switch doctors. She did the spaying on my black lab and also a major operation on her front feet about 4 1/2 years ago (dog had six toes, and one of her dew claws stuck out at a ninety degree angle, so knew it had to be taken care of). It was much more involved than I expected, not just a quickie declaw like they do on a cat. She had to go 2-2/12 inches up into my dog's paws to remove the digits, but a few days of rest, some pain meds and my dog did fantastic.

We all want long time, experienced doctors, but new ones have to start somewhere. This woman I trusted and she's done wonderful work.

Stan

#166 of 294 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,408 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted July 07 2013 - 04:43 PM

The rescue people I got my Landseer/newfy from recommended a cure for her heartworms.  I can't remember what it was (some email search might find it).  I was nervous about it.  Went with regular treatment at my vet instead.  Honey's worms were so bad she needed 2 treatments back to back.  Cost over $800.  But she's great now.  Doing fine.  I have mine on the prev, but I haven't had them checked lately. I do keep all mine indoor since South GA is notorious for HW.  Still,  I know I need to take them.  I just got a minipin (mentioned earlier in the thread) and I'll be having her checked within the next 2 weeks.  . 

Good luck on yours. 

Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#167 of 294 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 32,414 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 31 2013 - 08:28 PM

[font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"]I've Got a New Dog!!![/font]

Posted Image

Four months after Brooks left us, our local rescue group--through diligent effort--finally found us another Golden Retriever in need of rescue.

His name is Ike!  It is derived from the old Albany, NY dutch family name of Ten Eyck.  All of my dogs have featured names based on names from Albany's past, Brooks (Ten Broeck), Hudson (Henryck Hudson), and Schuyler (Pieter Schuyler).

Ike is handsome - small.jpg

Now, we are on a two week trial period, but Day #1 (today) went really well.  Ike's future in our family depends on how well he gets along with our resident spaniel, Kelly.  Today was a major victory.  She expressed her natural dominance and he acquiesced at every turn.

Ike and Kelly - small.jpg

He spent most of the day today doing his best impersonation of my shadow.  He likes his tennis ball (like any retriever worth his salt). and is currently sleeping at my feet. If this keeps up, I've got a new dog!  :biggrin:

Ike with Tennis Ball - small.jpg Ike and his tongue - small.jpg

#168 of 294 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,550 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted July 31 2013 - 08:39 PM

That's terrific.
facebook.com/whotony

#169 of 294 OFFLINE   Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,650 posts

Posted July 31 2013 - 11:07 PM

Awesome! He looks like a winner!

#170 of 294 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,408 posts

Posted August 01 2013 - 03:09 AM

Yeah, he looks awesome.  Bottom left picture, that expression...  he's just waiting for fun.  :D  I'll bet he'd love him some water somewhere.  

btw, all mine are heartworm free.  And for the first time, I took them all somewhere together (to the vet) at the same time, by myself.  Sounds like the start of a 1980s family comedy movie.  But they were all excellent. 

Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#171 of 294 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,897 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted August 01 2013 - 09:34 AM

Congrats! I've never considered myself a dog person, but I think I'd have a hard time resisting this face. :P

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#172 of 294 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted August 01 2013 - 09:52 AM

Just remember these words of wisdom from George Lucas:

"If once you start down the dog path, forever will it dominate your destiny"

#173 of 294 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 32,414 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 01 2013 - 11:03 AM

Thanks, everybody! 

I forgot to mention that Ike is six years old...so he is not quite the senior citizen that Brooks was when he came into our life.  :thumbsup:

#174 of 294 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 02 2013 - 01:32 PM

I like Ike!  Good luck, Mike!

#175 of 294 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 32,414 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 02 2013 - 05:21 PM

The good vibes continue on the homefront today.

No major problems to speak of!

Kelly and Ike on front porch.JPG Ike and Kelly in Living Room.JPG

And here's Ike's impression of Dug (from Pixar's Up)

Ike - CloseUp.JPG   Posted Image

#176 of 294 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,670 posts

Posted August 03 2013 - 02:53 PM

Mike,Ike is awesome!! I can't help but smile at each picture you post! Here's hoping this the beginning of a great and long friendship!Chris
It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#177 of 294 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted August 03 2013 - 04:38 PM

Congratulations Mike!

#178 of 294 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,408 posts

Posted August 04 2013 - 05:20 AM

My dog scooter has a tongue that is impossibly large ( I know she much rolling it up like a hay bale for the night). 

#179 of 294 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,287 posts

Posted August 04 2013 - 07:24 AM

I wish my dog was that tidy.

She's a black lab named Kylie, but most of the time I call her Drooly or Gooberdog. She's a total slob if anything edible is in sight, drooling, dripping all over the place.

The close-up picture of Ike doing Dug would be a flowing faucet if it were my Kylie.

But you still have to love them, wonderful additions to our lives.

Stan

#180 of 294 OFFLINE   Dheiner

Dheiner

Gazoo

• 2,171 posts
  • Location'skonsen

Posted August 04 2013 - 02:47 PM

Good for you.  Mike & Ike!  I've always liked that combo!

The Green Bay Packers
13-Time National Football League Champions: 1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996, & 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users