Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I've got a new dog!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#201 of 280 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,307 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted October 02 2013 - 10:54 AM

We just got a new dog...to us.

Found a brindled Chow mix standing in the middle of the road two towns over. He's gimpy and has heartworms. Once we get him "otherwise healthy" we can attempt to take care of the heartworms...unless the prior owner responds to a CL posting.

Gorgeous(we had to shave 2/3 of him) dog and well-mannered. Obviously housebroken(or we wouldn't have shaved him)...tried a FURminator(yes it is costly, but any owner of a long haired cat or dog...get one...trust me) and got most of the "been outside a while" out of him...

Vet gave us some pain med, anti-biotic and expectorant...we'll see how he comes along.

phone the radio stations (wink wink) and animal control as well to find the owner.  Also, vets in the area. 

Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#202 of 280 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,776 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted October 02 2013 - 10:56 AM

He didn't bring up Rimadyl. But we need to make sure it isn't "brain related"(checked negative for Lyme).

He has missing patches of fur that interpret as if he were caught in a fight with something. I hope it is nothing more than malnourished and beat up.

#203 of 280 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,776 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted October 02 2013 - 10:58 AM

phone the radio stations (wink wink) and animal control as well to find the owner.  Also, vets in the area. 

No collar or chip. known strays in the area(cat and dog) for population control are chipped by the county(have hangtags in their left ears with a code).

This one is a lost dog. Already created a CL posting and checked CL. The area Facebook has no dogs matching this one. Have a feeling this one was diagnosed with heartworms and kicked outside.

Every ".org" I've checked for this type of dog suggests he was a $800 puppy. Chow mixes are popular around here for temperament and hardiness for "lake effect cold".

#204 of 280 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,307 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 11:29 AM

$800?! Seems like a $400 hw treatment wouldn't be much more.  The dog I got from a rescue org need 2 hw treatments at about $900.  I gladly paid it. She's like a horse..  a landseer/newfy mix. 

Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#205 of 280 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,920 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 13 2013 - 08:44 PM

We are starting to run into some health issues with Ike.

He's got an unusually low heart rate.  He's not putting on much weight (and he's pretty thin).  And he's anemic and his red blood cell count is going down rather than up.  :(

Also, adding to our issues...he thinks he can diagnose himself, simply because he finished at the top of his obedience class:

Doctor Ike.JPG

Our vet is going to continue to monitor his status.  In a couple of weeks, if things don't start to turn around, a comprehensive blood work-up will be sent out to a pathologist for a full work-up. 

Currently, he is completely asymptomatic.  He looks healthy (outside of being a bit too skinny) and has tons of energy and life.

Things might be able to turn around...or they might be serious.  Time will tell.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#206 of 280 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,307 posts

Posted October 14 2013 - 04:00 AM

Good luck with him.  He's handsome.. 

My dog Scooter lost the use of her back legs for a moment last week.  She looked very confused for a bit. I held her, seriously thought she was having a heart attack during our walk near the park.  She's about back to normal now.  Now, she's not winning "the race" to the edge of the yard where the squirrels are.  But she still comes up mostly second just before slowpoke Kayla  mini-pin (well, Kay actually ends up crashing into the back of Scooter lol) .  I plan a visit to the vet soon to see what it is.  Bear had similar problems late in her life.  I know I should have had her on some meds for it.  Bear's weight was fine, but Scooter's a little pudgy. 

Edited by Radioman970, October 14 2013 - 04:06 AM.

#207 of 280 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,926 posts

Posted October 18 2013 - 03:45 PM

Max on the couch.jpg Our fantastic, fabulous, super dog: Max!  He is 8 months old, we have had him for 5 and a half months now.  An absolute joy in every way.

Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#208 of 280 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,920 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 18 2013 - 04:13 PM

Great dog!  Great picture!

Congratulations, Ted!

It is the best thing in the world when a family is lucky enough to get a "fantastic, fabulous, super dog!" :biggrin: 

:thumbs-up-smiley:

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#209 of 280 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,307 posts

Posted October 19 2013 - 03:39 AM

he looks awesome.  i always wanted a dog with beard/mustache like hair coloring.  So many name possibilities. (mine generally get 5+ names... lol ) And dogs with hair coloring like this just need at least one name that begins "Professor..." something.  Professor Maxwell would be great!  If you could get him to wear a monocle.. .well, almost impossible ...  :( 

#210 of 280 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,920 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 30 2013 - 08:25 PM

So there I was enjoying the fact that my Red Sox won the World Series tonight...and Ike wanted to get in on the celebrating!  :biggrin:

Ike in Red Sox Necktie - Small.jpg

#211 of 280 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,920 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 03 2013 - 02:15 PM

This is fun!

#212 of 280 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,266 posts

Posted December 03 2013 - 09:51 PM

This is fun!

That was amazing. There had to be some hidden special effects, not that I could see, but the entire one camera, no cuts to different scenes or angles was incredible.

Kind of like the young Jodie Foster scene in Contact where she runs up to a mirror, I've never figured out how that was done.

Stan

#213 of 280 OFFLINE   Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,645 posts

Posted December 04 2013 - 12:12 AM

There's probably some digital editing involved but it's pretty awesome.

I don't want to turn this into a video thread but it inspires me to post one of my favorite dog videos. Done in one take.

Here's the Outtake/alt angle view. Cutting straight to the video:

http://youtu.be/CXJflIGDE-o?t=6m29s

Edited by Paul D G, December 04 2013 - 12:21 AM.

#214 of 280 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,920 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 04 2013 - 07:05 AM

That was amazing. There had to be some hidden special effects, not that I could see, but the entire one camera, no cuts to different scenes or angles was incredible.

The only part of it that seemed obviously "wrong" to me was the last tennis ball that rolled to knock down the dominoes at the very end.  I'm going to say (as a guess) it is CGI'd.  None of the balls which drop from the container seem to be heading in that direction and that particular ball appears after a dog in the frenzied foreground clears out.  And I have a hard time believing that a dropped ball could be counted on to take that path--all by itself--and that the rest of the deluge would avoid those dominoes.  Oh.  And that tennis ball would need to travel at quite an exact (and slow) pace. 

And, Paul.  THAT was also quite amazing!  Watching the alternate angles made me appreciate it that much more! 

It is amazing what computers can do nowadays.  Afterwards, I talked it over with my wife and said, "Who knows?  The entire thing could be CGI'd together."

#215 of 280 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,266 posts

Posted December 04 2013 - 07:50 AM

The only part of it that seemed obviously "wrong" to me was the last tennis ball that rolled to knock down the dominoes at the very end.  I'm going to say (as a guess) it is CGI'd.  None of the balls which drop from the container seem to be heading in that direction and that particular ball appears after a dog in the frenzied foreground clears out.  And I have a hard time believing that a dropped ball could be counted on to take that path--all by itself--and that the rest of the deluge would avoid those dominoes.  Oh.  And that tennis ball would need to travel at quite an exact (and slow) pace. 

And, Paul.  THAT was also quite amazing!  Watching the alternate angles made me appreciate it that much more! 

It is amazing what computers can do nowadays.  Afterwards, I talked it over with my wife and said, "Who knows?  The entire thing could be CGI'd together."

That last tennis ball did kind of ruin things a bit. It was just to perfect, to well aimed to be believable. But it was still fun to watch. 

I don't believe anything I see anymore. With all the CGI and digital manipulation, you never know what's real and what isn't. 

Stan

#216 of 280 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,266 posts

Posted December 04 2013 - 09:48 AM

There's probably some digital editing involved but it's pretty awesome.

I don't want to turn this into a video thread but it inspires me to post one of my favorite dog videos. Done in one take.

Here's the Outtake/alt angle view. Cutting straight to the video:

http://youtu.be/CXJflIGDE-o?t=6m29s

Sorry to be a thread hog, but just had to comment. That video was incredible. Must have taken many, many months of rehearsals to get it right, both for the dogs and the guys. Thank you.

Stan

#217 of 280 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,072 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted December 04 2013 - 12:32 PM

We had to put our 14yo Chow/Shepard mix down this morning.  Difficult decision, but for the best. 

DSC00037 (Small).JPG

#218 of 280 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,307 posts

Posted December 04 2013 - 01:04 PM

@ Adam.  He looks like he had it made with you guys. 14 years is great.  Sorry for your loss.

Scooter is doing better.  She's still not 100% steady with her bad legs, a tad wobbly, but I think she'll be fine.  I have Honey Bun and Kayla on leashes and Scooter runs free ahead of us, and I have to constantly tell her to slow down again.  So that's good..

#219 of 280 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,920 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 04 2013 - 07:51 PM

Adam:

Sooooo sorry for your loss. 

That looks like one great bear of a dog. 

#220 of 280 OFFLINE   Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,645 posts

Posted December 05 2013 - 12:16 AM

I'm so sorry to read of your loss, Adam. I've said it before and I'll say it every time - losing our 13yr old maltese devastated me in a way I never saw coming. My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users