What's new

Stars Magic City (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Anyone watch this? Season 1 is currently free On Demand on Xfinity. Not sure how long that will last.

We're through the first 5 episodes (of 8). It's sort of a cross between Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire, with more sex. :) I like that they play up the fact that most of the main characters are Jewish; more than almost any other show I can think of. Even Seinfeld didn't make Jewish references like Magic City does. (I read that every time Jeffrey Dean Morgan has his shirt off, he has to spend 2 hours in the makeup trailer getting his cross tats covered up. :lol:)

FWIW, the lead actresses on this show are extraordinarily pretty.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I watched season 1 last year and enjoyed it immensely. It was one of my favorite shows of last summer and I'm looking forward to returning to the series for the second season.

My main criticism of the show is that I found the Ben Diamond character just a bit too one dimensional. Although there was one interesting reveal about his character's proclivities towards the end of the season.

Season 1 spoiler:
Ben likes to watch.

Yes, all of the actresses on the show are very lovely. In some ways, the most innocent of the women on the show (Mercedes) might have been my favorite although Olga Kurylenko is amazingly beautiful.

- Walter.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Just finished season 1 of this show. Thoroughly enjoyed it. If this were on HBO or Showtime it would probably be a huge hit.

Probably doesn't capture the time period as well as Boardwalk Empire or Mad Men capture theirs, but as a whole, Magic City might be a better show than either of those.

It's refreshing to have a protagonist in a show like this that is so likable and seems like generally a pretty good person. Seems like a rarity these days, particularly with this genre of shows.

Looking forward to starting up season 2, very soon. Surprised to see there is no thread for it.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
That's a shame. The same day I finish season 1, it's cancelled. Does Starz only like to give their shows 2 seasons?

Oh well, won't stop me from watching season 2, and at least I know ahead of time I'll be watching the final 8 episodes.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I enjoy this show and I'm disappointed that it will not be back for a 3rd season.The running joke is that unless your show has Spartacus in the title it is two and done.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
That's a real shame. Hopefully the storylines all get resolved.

Oh well, we can pretend that it was going to suck after the second season anyway. . .

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
The final episode some what worked as a series finale.Going to miss this one but that is Starz for you, two and done.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Just wrapped up season 2. Really enjoyed this show. If it was on HBO or Showtime it would be a huge hit. There were some rumors that it might get picked up by another network so maybe there is hope.

Definitely a satisfying series finale though. You have to wonder if they had a feeling it might be the end because while there was a lot of closure, they also left it open for Ben Diamond to remain a factor.

One complaint - I'm not sure about the strategy to take out Sy by putting a bunch of guys (including Bel) on him with guns in public. Especially since they obviously had his car rigged with a bomb already. Seems like a cheat by the writers to add drama when there would have been plenty of drama (and a bigger surprise) with just the car bomb.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks