What's new

Warner to Distribute Goldwyn Library on DVD (1 Viewer)

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I was just going to post the same link; Brent was first, though.
As I read the article, one question is unanswered, I think: will the releases be pressed, available at retail, or MOD via the Warner Archives?

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Dave B Ferris said:
will the releases be pressed, available at retail, or MOD via the Warner Archives?
The TCM Vault Collection is addressed in the article...
Jeff Baker, executive vice president of theatrical catalog for Warner Bros. home entertainment group, said many of the films will be released as part of packages the studio is already marketing under the brand of its sibling television network Turner Classic Movies.
Some of the Goldwyn titles, notably those specified in the article (BEST YEARS, GEHRIG, BISHOP'S WIFE, etc.), are perennial classics and will probably find their way to general retail, DVD and Blu. I'd guess that Warner Archive may figure in on titles that are relatively obscure to the general public.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The Warner Archive posted a link to the Goldwyn library on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Goldwyn_Productions
PORGY AND BESS has been cleared for takeoff and will be coming. There was a recent thread about it (one I participated in) but I can't find it...Dave Kehr's blog also addressed it.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
So the unreleased material will be making it's way to the Archives and the well traveled material will be on pressed disc collections? I couldn't be more underwhelmed.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by mdnitoil /t/319688/warner-to-distribute-goldwyn-library-on-dvd#post_3911970
So the unreleased material will be making it's way to the Archives and the well traveled material will be on pressed disc collections? I couldn't be more underwhelmed.

Warner Archive > Nothing ever from MGM

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Home Media Magazine has an article on this Warner deal which totals 74 films, some good titles there.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Warners had some of these titles including Wuthering Heights at the beginning of DVD but I missed those at the time(they were expensive compared to current pricing of replicated discs in general) and they went to MGM and the pre-1986 MGM & older Warners came into Warners around this time. I have a few on LD and some were from Nelson Entertainment. So I have the Eddie Cantors & Up in Arms & a few others in that format. A couple of Eddies were in a large MGM box set but I was not about to buy a lot of titles I already had for them. A Canadian release of Kid Millions was canceled but I was charged for it but could never get a refund from that shyster Montreal on-line who went belly-up twice a few years ago.

Many titles are on You Tube either in full files or cut into 7-8 sections. Such as These Three. This situation would not stop me buying a legal DVD or, better still now, a Blu Ray. The only silent material on DVD that I am aware of is The Winning of Barbara Worth and that only for Gary Cooper, in fact, its survival in Goldwyn archives is because of Gary Cooper's appearance. Frances Howard had a lot to answer for in her actions with the silent elements they had.

Nevertheless, they are in a good home for now.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Warner has the Samuel Goldwyn Library and Olive now has control over many Republic titles. This is a good year. Looking forward to the Eddie Cantor films from the WAC. A Blu of Guys and Dolls and Best Years Of Our Lives will be welcomed if they come about.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
kingfish said:
i wonder where the entire list can be found.
THE ADVENTURES OF MARCO POLO
ARROWSMITH
THE AWAKENING
BALL OF FIRE
BARBARY COAST
BELOVED ENEMY
THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES
THE BISHOP’S WIFE
BULLDOG DRUMMOND
COME AND GET IT
CONDEMNED
THE COWBOY AND THE LADY
CYNARA
CYTHEREA
DARK ANGEL
DEAD END
THE DEVIL DANCER
THE DEVIL TO PAY!
DODSWORTH
EDGE OF DOOM
ENCHANTMENT
THE GOLDWYN FOLLIES
GUYS AND DOLLS
HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN
HIS SUPREME MOMENT
IN HOLLYWOOD WITH POTASH & PERLMUTTER
I WANT YOU
THE KID FROM BROOKLYN
THE KID FROM SPAIN
KID MILLIONS
THE LITTLE FOXES
THE MAGIC FLAME
THE MASQUERADER
MY FOOLISH HEART
NANA
THE NIGHT OF LOVE
ONE HEAVENLY NIGHT
OUR VERY OWN
PALMY DAYS
PARTNERS AGAIN, WITH POTASH & PERLMUTTER
POTASH AND PERLMUTTER
THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES
THE PRINCESS AND THE PIRATE
RAFFLES
RAFFLES (1930)
THE REAL GLORY
THE RESCUE
ROMAN SCANDALS
ROSEANNA MCCOY
THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY
SECRETS
A SONG IS BORN
SPLENDOR
STELLA DALLAS
STELLA DALLAS (1925)
STRIKE ME PINK
TARNISH
THESE THREE
THEY GOT ME COVERED
THEY SHALL HAVE MUSIC
A THIEF IN PARADISE
THIS IS HEAVEN
TWO LOVERS
THE UNHOLY GARDEN
UP IN ARMS
WE LIVE AGAIN
THE WEDDING NIGHT
THE WESTERNER
WHOOPEE!
THE WINNING OF BARBARA WORTH
WOMAN CHASES MAN
WONDER MAN
WUTHERING HEIGHTS

BrianRi

Stunt Coordinator
Robin9 said:
THE ADVENTURES OF MARCO POLO
ARROWSMITH
THE AWAKENING
BALL OF FIRE
BARBARY COAST
BELOVED ENEMY
THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES
THE BISHOP’S WIFE
BULLDOG DRUMMOND
COME AND GET IT
CONDEMNED
THE COWBOY AND THE LADY
CYNARA
CYTHEREA
DARK ANGEL
DEAD END
THE DEVIL DANCER
THE DEVIL TO PAY!
DODSWORTH
EDGE OF DOOM
ENCHANTMENT
THE GOLDWYN FOLLIES
GUYS AND DOLLS
HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN
HIS SUPREME MOMENT
IN HOLLYWOOD WITH POTASH & PERLMUTTER
I WANT YOU
THE KID FROM BROOKLYN
THE KID FROM SPAIN
KID MILLIONS
THE LITTLE FOXES
THE MAGIC FLAME
THE MASQUERADER
MY FOOLISH HEART
NANA
THE NIGHT OF LOVE
ONE HEAVENLY NIGHT
OUR VERY OWN
PALMY DAYS
PARTNERS AGAIN, WITH POTASH & PERLMUTTER
POTASH AND PERLMUTTER
THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES
THE PRINCESS AND THE PIRATE
RAFFLES
RAFFLES (1930)
THE REAL GLORY
THE RESCUE
ROMAN SCANDALS
ROSEANNA MCCOY
THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY
SECRETS
A SONG IS BORN
SPLENDOR
STELLA DALLAS
STELLA DALLAS (1925)
STRIKE ME PINK
TARNISH
THESE THREE
THEY GOT ME COVERED
THEY SHALL HAVE MUSIC
A THIEF IN PARADISE
THIS IS HEAVEN
TWO LOVERS
THE UNHOLY GARDEN
UP IN ARMS
WE LIVE AGAIN
THE WEDDING NIGHT
THE WESTERNER
WHOOPEE!
THE WINNING OF BARBARA WORTH
WOMAN CHASES MAN
WONDER MAN
WUTHERING HEIGHTS
Nice list. I'm looking forward to seeing THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY, which has been out-of-print for a loooooong time. Also the Cantor movies.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
PORGY AND BESS has been cleared for takeoff and will be coming.
Great-thanks for confirming!
I am even more curious now that I've seen the very good Broadway play recently.
I havent seen this movie in nearly 35 years when it played on a local tv station on a Sunday afternoon.
I don't remember if I liked it or not, but, it has intrigued me that it has never been available throughout the dawn of video in any format.
Are there any other great classics that have never been made available to video that I'm missing?

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Will the 1965 tv movie of Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella- the one with Lesley Anne Warren - be apart of this deal? This has been out of print way too long.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had no idea that it was out of print! I guess when one has a copy of something and plays it fairly regularly, he stops thinking about its availability to others (Wuthering Heights falls into that category, too.)

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Does anyone know what will become of the films made post-1990 that The Goldwyn Company distribute? Will they just distribute themselves or will they not be distributed at all or have the rights reverted to another company?

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
MattH. said:
I had no idea that it was out of print! I guess when one has a copy of something and plays it fairly regularly, he stops thinking about its availability to others (Wuthering Heights falls into that category, too.)
I had no idea that Cinderella was out of print either. I always wanted to purchase it, but didn't because the retail price always seemed too high. I thought the price would drop or it would end up in a bargain bin. Boy was I fooled.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by MLamarre /t/319688/warner-to-distribute-goldwyn-library-on-dvd#post_3912120
Does anyone know what will become of the films made post-1990 that The Goldwyn Company distribute? Will they just distribute themselves or will they not be distributed at all or have the rights reverted to another company?
The 1979 forward titles belong to MGM. Metromedia purchased The Samuel Goldwyn Company in 1996 which include the films they owned from when the independent film company was founded by Samuel Goldwyn Jr. in 1979. Metromedia also owned Orion and in 1997 they sold Orion and The Samuel Goldwyn Company to MGM. The classic Goldwyn titles had always been retained by the family trust and leased the titles to MGM in 1997, close to the time of purchase, to MGM for 15 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks