What's new

Seven Cities of Gold & Esther & the King (1 Viewer)

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I sent an email to Twilight (Screen Archives) suggesting they release "Seven Cities of Gold", Anthony Quinn & Richard Egan, and "Esther and the King" Joan Collins & Richard Egan on Bluray in their 3000 limited program. These are 2 very good movies and like the Egyptian are not available on DVD. You can buy Esther on DVD in full screen and in a very poor quality. I have both titles in letterbox I recorded from Fox Movie Channel. They are better than nothing but very poor quality I would love to get them on Bluray.
I am trying to drum up interest so if anyone else would like these titles on Bluray please send an email to Twilight at
[email protected] expressing your interest. Thank you.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Just as an fyi here: Screen Archives Entertainment is Twilight Time's retail distribution outlet, but nothing to do with Twilight Time in any other way, shape or form. Sending them an email is a waste of time.
To interact with Twilight Time directly, we recommend www.facebook.com/twilighttimemovies

Thanks.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Thanks I followed your advise and through Facebook added a post suggesting the 2 movies be added to Twilight's 3000 limited edition. You would think since Screen Archives has a vested interest as the distributor they would be happy to pass on the suggestion to Twilight.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I received a response from Screen Archives today and they thanked me for my suggestions and said they would pass the information onto Ed.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Twilight responded via Facebook and said both movies are excellent recommendations and "Seven Cities of Gold" is on their list of titles under consideration for release on Bluray because they have a good master. Unfortunately the only master for "Esther and the King" is a 4x3 scan (Pan"n Scan) which must have been used for the VHS release and is not suitable fort Bluray.

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
Adam Gregorich said:
Hopefully they can make Seven Cities happen!
There are two better Robert D. Webb films that I would prefer to see released first. On the Threshold of Space and The Way to the Gold.
I would also love to get Webb's film White Feather (1955) on Blu-ray. The Fox DVD is quite beautiful, so I'm sure it would look even better in HD.

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
Ernest said:
Unfortunately the only master for "Esther and the King" is a 4x3 scan (Pan"n Scan) which must have been used for the VHS release and is not suitable fort Bluray.
They probably mean the transfer of Esther and the King is 4:3 letterboxed, i.e. the same transfer you recorded off of TV. Twilight Time faced quite a backlash over Violent Saturday being released in letterboxed rather than anamorphic, so I strongly doubt they will release any more 4:3 letterboxed transfers when they have HD transfers of some films.
Frankly it is just downright disappointing that there is no HD transfer of Violent Saturday.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
There is a gorgeous widescreen DVD available from Germany of ESTHER AND THE KING, which I presume is from a recent hi def scan of an incredibly well preserved print. It has the Fox logo on the case, so it is certainly an official release. SEVEN CITIES OF GOLD is now available as a 1080 download from the iTunes movie store, so a hi def scan of original elements has ALREADY been done for this title, as well. I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to put both of these out. I would buy both in a second. All that needs to be done is to ready the sources for blu-ray pressing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks