Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Subwoofer Hum, 2 amps and 2 subs problem still there!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Blakmumba

Blakmumba

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 28 2012 - 01:40 PM

Hi, been reading many posts on the net and on this forum regarding my subwoofer problem which made me register and ask for help. I've read many posts regarding subwoofer hum and ground loop but mine seems to be weird. The problem is that when the receiver is off (standby), the subwoofer starts to hum really loud and when I switch the receiver on, the hum goes away. It is only happining with the subwoofer and nothing else. I intially thought the sub was faulty so tried a different sub and a different receiver and exactly the same problem. If I disconnect the line in from the sub the hum goes away totally (not even a wisper). I have been reading that this is a case of ground loop so I disconnected EVERYTHING besides the amp and sub but same problem (this is on both amps and subs). Have tried a different sockets, extensions etc but still have same problem and the Ground In/Out switch on the Kef PSW1000.2 does not make a difference. The other weird thing is that if I connect a single piece of wire to the lnb coaxial f connector at the rear of the sat box and the other end to 1 of the screw on the Kef 1000.2 the hum TOTALLY vanishes but my receiver goes into 'protect mode' and switches itself off until I disconnect the wire!. PLEASE PLEASE could someone advise me further or help me as I've done almost everything that people have mentioned on many forums to others but to no avail. Many Thanx and Kind Regards

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,548 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 29 2012 - 03:43 AM

Have you tried an isolation transformer? $9 at www.partsexpress.com I had a similar issue with the cable in my residence. I called the cable company, since it is their job to correct that issue, and they said they would "get to it" the next time they came out (no doubt since it is on them and not something they could charge me for). That $9 isolation transformer on the incoming cable line fixed the issue in the meantime. Also, read this: http://www.audioholi...em-hum-and-buzz
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein