What's new

War Horse Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
This is a great film. I would even go as far to say that it is one of the greatest war related films ever.

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
*Watches film*
Well, it was good. Not great. Being a Spielberg film, it hit every note I was expecting from him. A story about a boy and his ______ with family issues. Wake me up when he does a film that has a story focusing on a female lead where the family drama isn't a centralized part of the character. Too demanding? Yes, but I'm on a mission.
:)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ted Van Duyn said:
*Watches film*
Well, it was good. Not great. Being a Spielberg film, it hit every note I was expecting from him. A story about a boy and his ______ with family issues. Wake me up when he does a film that has a story focusing on a female lead where the family drama isn't a centralized part of the character. Too demanding? Yes, but I'm on a mission.
:)
Yes, you are on a mission. Apparently, if the film doesn't focus on a female, you're not happy.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Assuming the "family dramas" THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS and THE COLOR PURPLE don't count, I'd say ALWAYS, which hinges on Holly Hunter's choices.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I loved this movie and cannot wait to get it this week. I thought it was the best film of the year. The applause came up when the film ended. I can count on my hand only a few movies that I have seen in a theater where this has happened.
There was not a dry eye in the house when movie ended.

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
Johnny Angell said:
Yes, you are on a mission. Apparently, if the film doesn't focus on a female, you're not happy.
Nice observation considering I paid to see this movie in the theater and I knew what to expect. But it didn't matter since I generally admire Spielberg's work a great deal. I even enjoyed Tin Tin when I accidentally saw it in 3D over the holidays.
Even though I make comments like that, it is by no means meant to detract nor discourage any of Spielberg's works. Movies can get away with zero female characters and still manage to rank amongst my favorite movies of all time. John Carpenter's The Thing being a prime example. My main purpose in making comments like this is to show that it's not the films that are the problem, but how a majority of films out there seem to follow the same formula. Spielberg has made terrific movies in his career, but he hasn't made a film with a female lead in over a quarter of a century with little to no interest in making any more. Heck, I still remember that George Lucas interview where he said Indy was supposed to have a daughter in Crystal Skull, but Spielberg rejected it. Weird.
But I think we'll be alright. After all, we just witnessed Hunger Games crush the sci-fi juggernaut John Carter at the box office. It's not every day when you see a movie about a teenage girl who isn't obsessed over her boyfriend makes over five times the amount of money on the opening day than the film about a macho manly man who fights bad guys and rescues the damsel princess. And Disney actually thought getting rid of the "of Mars" from the title was going to help bring audiences in. :D

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Ted Van Duyn /t/319640/war-horse-blu-ray-review#post_3912361
But I think we'll be alright. After all, we just witnessed Hunger Games crush the sci-fi juggernaut John Carter at the box office. It's not every day when you see a movie about a teenage girl who isn't obsessed over her boyfriend makes over five times the amount of money on the opening day than the film about a macho manly man who fights bad guys and rescues the damsel princess. And Disney actually thought getting rid of the "of Mars" from the title was going to help bring audiences in.
Yeah, but Hunger Games had a built in audience of millions who read and loved the book. John Carter had crappy trailers and posters and looks unappealing. I wanted to take my kid to see it but he said it looks boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks