Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

May Be Getting a Free Piano - Is it Worth it?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,213 posts

Posted March 28 2012 - 06:22 AM

Hopefully someone with experience can give me some insight. A woman who my wife works with is offering us her Piano for free. I think it was her daughter's who is going to college and doesn't really use it anymore. Anyway, from what I can tell it's a Wurlitzer Spinet http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ I'm interested in the idea of having a piano. I don't play, but always thought I wanted to learn one day. But don't know much about pianos. I am wondering if it is worth paying to have it moved, getting it tuned. Are these models any good? From what I have seen on the web, this is kind of in the Entry Level vein. But I have also seen a wide range of prices for the pianos that look like this on eBay. Does anyone know what piano movers charge? The move would be a distance of 10 miles tops. How much to get tuned? etc. If it's going to cost more to move the piano than what it's worth, I probably wouldn't bother. Thanks
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#2 of 6 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,031 posts

Posted March 28 2012 - 06:56 AM

Will, I don't know how much the 'norm' is for moving pianos, but when we have ours tuned, it's about $75.00. I own a baby grand and one upright, and have owned spinets over the years. The one shown here is probably (as you say) a good 'entry level' instrument. (BTW, if you get to the point where you learn to use the pedals, don't be alarmed if the middle one doesn't seem like it's doing much. On spinets and some uprights, that particular pedal is often there for 'show,' and isn't intended to perform the function that it was designed to perform on grand pianos.) If it were me (and if it were possible for you), I would move it with about three or four guys and then have it tuned after that. A spinet doesn't weigh all that much compared to an upright (and of course, a grand). I've moved about six or seven pianos in my lifetime. Grand pianos are not much fun to move! Best wishes. :)
ockeghem2.jpg

#3 of 6 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,025 posts

Posted April 15 2012 - 01:35 PM

It certainly looks nice, even for an entry level piano. For no charge, I'd find a place in my house for it. I played piano as a child and would love something like this to relearn how to play. I'd go for it, if not just to use as a nice plant stand. Just take care of the wood and finish.
Stan

#4 of 6 KevinGress

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

• 603 posts

Posted April 17 2012 - 05:44 AM

I'd go for it, if not just to use as a nice plant stand. Just take care of the wood and finish.

That's the big thing - if you seriously make plans to use it. Otherwise it quickly takes up space. It's probably too late at this point, as I'm sure the person is wanting to get rid of it fairly quickly, but to anyone else contemplating a similar situation, I'd recommend you invest in, or borrow, an inexpensive keyboard first. See if you're going to take the time to learn - they are a lot more compact and in some cases, can actually aid in the learning process. If you find that you struggle to 'find the time' to learn on a keyboard, I'd say moving a piano in, even a free one, is not the right idea.

#5 of 6 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,213 posts

Posted April 17 2012 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the advice. When a mover quoted me $350 to move it, I pretty much said forget it and told the person offering it to us to give it to the next interested party. And yeah, I really don't have the time to invest a ton of time learning it. I have Rock Band 3 with the keyboard (I've gotten a little bit better at it) and I've got an iPad (plenty of Keyboard/Piano apps) and if I want to take the next step, I'll get an electric keyboard from Costco or something like that. But in reality, I'm a bit far from a real Piano at this point.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#6 of 6 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,025 posts

Posted April 18 2012 - 02:41 PM

Good advice Kevin. That's why forums like this can be so helpful. They bring a big dose of reality to things.
Stan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users