What's new

2012 MLB Regular Season and Post Season (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Well the regular season starts today, let the games begin.
It doesn't look like it is going to be a very good year for my Cubs, nothing new and I didn't expect much from the new leadership in year one.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I think starting the season with games in Japan is a terrible idea; baseball’s opening game of the season should be played in the US and not a foreign country.
Now that the A’s are on their way back from opening the season five thousand miles away from home, a trip that caused them to interrupt Spring Training, they will now play more Spring Training games.
I know its all marketing and baseball is very popular in Japan but seriously what a terrible idea to open the season in Japan.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It isn't just a bad idea simply because they play in Japan but they don't market or make notice of the games.
The NBA and NFL make a big deal of opening games .
Baseball used to open with the Reds, did that for 100 years until ESPN took care of that.
Now Baseball just throws these Japan games out there as if they are sneaking them in as, oh by the way, here are a few games at 5:00 in the. Morning and we aren't even televising them so too bad for you.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
One of the games was aired live on MLB Network, and would re-air later at prime time. But it's worse for the majority of fans of both teams, being in the middle of the night (worse than the East Coast). Adding to that, it was in the middle of the week. And harder these days to stay away from knowing the final score.

Originally Posted by Patrick_S /t/319627/2012-mlb-regular-season#post_3911574
Now that the A’s are on their way back from opening the season five thousand miles away from home, a trip that caused them to interrupt Spring Training, they will now play more Spring Training games.
Yeah, it does not make any sense to have a couple regular season games sandwiched between a bunch of spring training games. Just seems silly with the way it was all scheduled.

Honestly, I wish all the major sports would do away with regular season games overseas (surprisingly, the NBA hasn't done this).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A little late to this thread...

but Justin Verlander (2012 AL Cy Young winner & MVP) just threw the first pitch to Jacoby Ellsbury (2012 AL MVP runner-up) in the opener for the Sox & Tigers...so I decided to come and check things out.

MLB has totally screwed up Opening Day. It used to be treated like one of the main events of the season. While it is still a big deal for me, they are really messing up a great opportunity. The games in Japan are beyond ridiculous. 3am PT opening pitch to the season?!?! Stupid. Playing MLB games (especially the first of the season) in Japan? Stupid. Playing season games while all the other clubs are still playing exhibition games? Stupid. Having two clubs play season games and then go back to exhibition games before resuming season play? Stupid. No live broadcast of the opening game? Stupid. (Who needs to see Ichiro go 4 for 5? Oh yeah. Maybe Mariners fans and other baseball fans. This Red Sox fan set his DVR for a 6am ET game played in Japan that aired on tape at 9am while he was at work... ) And there's lots more that's wrong with that idea.

And how about the Marlins playing the "US Season opener" last night in a single game series in Miami against the Cards and then having them travel to Cincinnati to play a day game the next day?!? Oh yeah...stupid.

They NEED to go back to having the Reds start off the season in some ceremonial way. Or the having it be the defending champs. Whatever.

But even today...just a seven game schedule and then tomorrow (Friday) a nine-game schedule.

It isn't until Saturday, April 7 that there's a full 15-game schedule.

Do something that makes sense, MLB!!!

And...go Red Sox!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Boston and Detroit, with Lester and Verlander pitching, are currently locked up in an expected battle. There are only five hits half-way through, and there's no score.
Go Red Sox!

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I missed last night's game, because my car broke down. I wanted to see the new Marlins stadium. But I'm sure I will get more chances, as the first week of Extra Innings on DirecTV is free.

But yeah, the start of the season is a mess. And the playoffs will be as well.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Originally Posted by Walter C /t/319627/2012-mlb-regular-season#post_3913717
I missed last night's game, because my car broke down. I wanted to see the new Marlins stadium. But I'm sure I will get more chances, as the first week of Extra Innings on DirecTV is free.
On the internet you see more of their new stadium:

http://miami.marlins.mlb.com/mia/ballpark/new_ballpark.jsp

On that oage is also a link for " 3-D Seat Views" where you can see various views from various seats;
http://www.seats3d.com/mlb/miami_marlins/

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
This seems a bit early for Youkilis's first of two obligatory in-season vacations. ;)
http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7883434/boston-red-sox-put-kevin-youkilis-disabled-list

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A cold wind must've blown through Fenway the other night and snapped his back.

Middlebrooks, in the meantime, acquitted himself nicely last night.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Wow, look at this thread, still on the first page this late in the season. In any event...

Johan Santana has pitched the first ever no-hitter in Mets history. Finally, after coming close a bunch of times in team history, as they have had a lot of 1-hitters over the years.

That leaves the Padres the only team left that does not have a no-hitter.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
In the Cards/Mets game the third base umpire blew a call that even Hellen Keller would have gotten correct. The blown call allowed the no-hitter to continue.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/319627/2012-mlb-regular-season#post_3932992
I just watched the 9th inning. Nasty, nasty slider.

Good for him and good for the Mets.

Yeah, I was watching part of the Yankees-Tigers game, when MLB Network switched over to the Mets game. The first 2 outs were bloopers that looked like they would drop for a hit. I bet the fans at Citi Field were like "oh no, not again".

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Walter C /t/319627/2012-mlb-regular-season#post_3933017

The first 2 outs were bloopers that looked like they would drop for a hit.

They sure looked like they were going to be hits to me.

I was watching MLB-TV, too when I heard what was going on. But I was watching the Red Sox/Blue Jays game. I switched over to SportsNY (the Mets own network) to watch the 9th there.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Congrats (sort of) to Santana, but to see this go into the books as a No Hitter and Galarraga's game last year not be allowed to be a perfect game is just so depressing
that MLB can't figure out a way to get it right. I'm about as purist as gets when it comes to baseball -- get rid of the designated hitter, get rid of Wild Cards (if you can't win your own
division you don't need to be in the playoffs), blow up any stadium that has artificial turf, take the lights down at Wrigley, play a lot more day games during the World Series which should
also be over by Columbus Day, bring back real Doubleheaders, call the high strike -- BUT get the obvious blown calls right.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
When I was a child (I grew up in the 1960s), I had a passion for collecting cards (sports, television shows, etc.). I collected thousands of them, several hundred of which were baseball cards, and I stored them in multiple shoeboxes. (If anyone is old enough to remember the games we played at recess and at home with cards at this time -- e.g., 'topsies,' 'leanies,' and 'farsies' -- then you know what I mean.) Trading cards with your friends was an activity that we cherished during those times. I also loved reading the statistics and the short biographies which were featured on the backs of the cards on several of the players. This eventually got me into reading books on baseball records, a love I have never relinquished. All of this being said, I never thought that Gehrig's grand slam record would be broken.
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/8045125/new-york-yankees-third-baseman-alex-rodriguez-hit-23rd-career-grand-slam-tying-lou-gehrig-most-all-time

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I completely missed that, Scott. It is a special moment, indeed.

And you are right. I would never have thought that Gehrig's record would be broken. It was one of those records that, as a kid, were ingrained into our heads. The kids in my neighborhood and I used to make up our own trivia contests based on baseball records. Sam Crawford (triples), Babe Ruth (HRs), Ty Cobb (hits) all seemed safe...but Pete Rose & Hank Aaron had something to say about that.

I'll go out on a limb and say Crawford's career triples record of 309 will never be broken.

Career

1. Sam Crawford (Played from 1899 to 1917) - 309

2. Ty Cobb (1905 - 1928) - 295

3. Honus Wagner (1897 - 1917) - 252

4. Jake Beckley (1888 - 1907) - 243

5. Roger Connor (1880 - 1897) - 233

6. Tris Speaker (1907 - 1928) - 222

7. Fred Clarke (1894 - 1915) - 220

8. Dan Brouthers (1879 - 1904) - 205

9. Joe Kelley (1891 - 1908) - 194

10. Paul Waner (1926 - 1945) - 191

And the active triples leaders currently are Carl Crawford with 112 (#118), Johnny Damon with 108 (#130) and Jose Reyes with 104 (#145).

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike,
It's wonderful that I know of some of the numbers you posted about above! :)
Okay, just for fun, let me post a few numbers, names, and other oddities that have to do with baseball. I'm am very confident that you will know precisely what each of these refer to.
12 perfect innings and a loss
Walt Dropo
7 (This one may be a bit ambiguous, but I think you'll get it.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks