-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

DBX subwoofer hook up question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Phil McC

Phil McC

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted March 26 2012 - 09:18 AM

I helped a friend clear their basement and 'rescued' some older audio equipment that was going to the trash. One of the items is a DBX SW-15 subwoofer with a separate rack mountable DBX XB140amp. I would like to know how I could use this in my HT system and maybe add some base. What I have now:-. Yamaha HTR -5890 7.1 Rxer Yamaha 777 x 2 fronts Yamaha 444 Center Yamaha 333 x 4 for surround and rear 12 inch powered sub connected with a single RCA output from the Rxer. The DBX 140 amp has spring connectors marked "From Amp" Chans A & B, L & R, and outputs marked "To Spkrs" Chans A & B, L & R, and "To Subwfr" Chans A & B, L & R. The Sub has connectors marked L & R IN (2 prs) and L & R OUT (2 prs) Anyone know what I would need to do wiring wise to add this into my set up or is it more trouble than its worth? Can you even run a powered sub, and separate sub and amp, off the same receiver. Thanks in advance!

#2 of 5 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,105 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted March 26 2012 - 10:45 PM

The Sub has connectors marked L & R IN (2 prs) and L & R OUT (2 prs)

That's a passive sub with an internal crossover. Probably like the DBX sub that I had.

The DBX 140 amp has spring connectors marked "From Amp" Chans A & B, L & R, and outputs marked "To Spkrs" Chans A & B, L & R, and "To Subwfr" Chans A & B, L & R.

I remember this amp. Those are high level inputs/outputs. You wire the amp up between your main speakers. Then you wire the amp to the sub. The sub's outputs aren't used.

Can you even run a powered sub, and separate sub and amp, off the same receiver.

Yes you can. But different subs are more difficult to integrate properly. Throw in the fact that one will use the LFE output and one will use sound from the mains and you added another layer of difficulty. To get this to work properly, you have to run your main speakers as large so they receive a full signal. Another option is to replace the DBX amp and use a real sub amp from Parts Express. You can connect those to the LFE output of the receiver. That opens the option of ditching the driver from the DBX sub and upgrading to a better model from PE.

#3 of 5 Phil McC

Phil McC

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted March 27 2012 - 05:32 AM

Thank you for your response. I am happy with the way things are now, just thought I might be able to use this easily to add some bass, and not really wanting to buy new amps etc. Maybe should have let it go to the trash but I hate to see stuff wasted.

#4 of 5 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,105 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted March 27 2012 - 06:12 AM

It would work great with an older, stereo receiver. If I look around, I could probably find my old DBX sub. I'm like you, I never throw anything away.

#5 of 5 lawoflift1

lawoflift1

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 19 2012 - 04:32 PM

Hey friend, I ran my DBX SW-15 for several years off of my Yamaha 5830 with great success. Just this week, pretty close to 20 years to the day that I bought it, my SW-15 died. Like many, it will not go to the boneyard, but I did purchase a Sony 10" powered sub to "get me by" until I have a rainy Saturday. Many on these forums will "sniff" at the DBX SW-15. Not me. That unit has given me 20 years of house-shaking, neighbor knocking pleasure. I bought it right before the first of my three children were born. They grew up dancing to it thumping and knocking things off of shelves. It has played everything from Tool to The Backstreet Boys. It has been moved from MN to OH and back to MN. I ran it quite successfully with the DBX MPA - 150 amp I bought at the same time. Great combo. Are there better, more high quality subs? Yes. But, at over 50, I suspect my ears a little duller than they were decades ago. For the money (especially in your "rescue" mode), I think you made a tremendous find. If you have questions, feel free to ping me.