What's new

Need a subwoofer mostly for music listening, but also movies ^__^ (1 Viewer)

gothviolingirl

Auditioning
Real Name
Christine
Hey out there! I just got a set of Kenwood home audio surround speakers from my dad...they're about 20 years old but they were hella expensive back in the day and they still sound pretty good. Feeling pretty overwhelmed with the options for subwoofers...I'm a musician so I know what I want it to sound like but I don't know what specs in subs will give me what I want. I have a small 1br apartment, so I don't need something with HUGE power, but I do want as good of quality and deep bass as I can get. My budget is up to $300, but the cheaper the better. Any suggestions of brands to look into, or does anyone have any specific model recommendations? Thanks in advance!!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The basic considerations for a sub are how deep it goes (extension) and how loudly it plays. For extension, you'll usually see 25 or 32 Hz (and if you see anything higher, move on. Typically if it goes lower it doesn't play as loud, and vice versa. More money helps you get both. Deep is usually considered better for home theater, loud is better for music. I like Hsu subs. The STF-1 would fit in your budget ($270), but you'd have to check your room size on their web site. The STF-2 is $350, so that's not much more. A lot of forum members like SVS (I've never heard one).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd say for mainly music in your price range, HSU is probably your best bet. Ideally, you want a sub that is capable of 20Hz to reproduce the full frequency spectrum, but a sub that is good to 25Hz will still be good for music, depending on what you listen to and if you are after digging deeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks