Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need a subwoofer mostly for music listening, but also movies ^__^

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   gothviolingirl

gothviolingirl

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 25 2012 - 06:59 PM

Hey out there! I just got a set of Kenwood home audio surround speakers from my dad...they're about 20 years old but they were hella expensive back in the day and they still sound pretty good. Feeling pretty overwhelmed with the options for subwoofers...I'm a musician so I know what I want it to sound like but I don't know what specs in subs will give me what I want. I have a small 1br apartment, so I don't need something with HUGE power, but I do want as good of quality and deep bass as I can get. My budget is up to $300, but the cheaper the better. Any suggestions of brands to look into, or does anyone have any specific model recommendations? Thanks in advance!!

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,216 posts

Posted March 25 2012 - 11:09 PM

The basic considerations for a sub are how deep it goes (extension) and how loudly it plays. For extension, you'll usually see 25 or 32 Hz (and if you see anything higher, move on. Typically if it goes lower it doesn't play as loud, and vice versa. More money helps you get both. Deep is usually considered better for home theater, loud is better for music. I like Hsu subs. The STF-1 would fit in your budget ($270), but you'd have to check your room size on their web site. The STF-2 is $350, so that's not much more. A lot of forum members like SVS (I've never heard one).

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 27 2012 - 04:05 AM

I'd say for mainly music in your price range, HSU is probably your best bet. Ideally, you want a sub that is capable of 20Hz to reproduce the full frequency spectrum, but a sub that is good to 25Hz will still be good for music, depending on what you listen to and if you are after digging deeper.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein