Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Looking for a video file playback device.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted March 25 2012 - 01:06 PM

I'm in the market for a video file playback device. I have a PS3 already but as those who own one know the video playback via external storage is meh as far as file support goes. I know there's a lot out there but there are a few things I don't need/want. Don't need/want:
  • Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/etc
  • Networking of any kind
  • Internal storage
What I would like:
  • MKV support
  • DDS/DTS support
  • NTFS support
Any one have some advice? Thanks in advance.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,216 posts

Posted March 26 2012 - 09:35 AM

I'm a bit confused as you say you don't want networking or internal storage, but you do want ntfs. Is the idea you want to connect an external drive drirectly? Or maybe use a thumb drive? If either of these hots the mark you could just consider a BR/DVD player. My Sony 580 plays mkv from a usb port. (I don't use the feature, I connect to a NAS.)

#3 of 6 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted March 26 2012 - 07:20 PM

I want NTFS support. Right now my PS3 is what plays videos. The PS3 only supports FAT32 which has a file size restriction of 4GB. And because I have a PS3 I also don't need a Bluray player. I just need a simple device with a usb port on one end for an external hard drive and an HDMI on the other to send the processed video file to the TV.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,216 posts

Posted March 26 2012 - 10:50 PM

And because I have a PS3 I also don't need a Bluray player. I just need a simple device with a usb port on one end for an external hard drive and an HDMI on the other to send the processed video file to the TV.

I understand, but it's probably cheaper and easier to just add a DVD player to get the features you need. I got my Sony 580 (and a some 370s) for $20 each. But if you really want the special device (possibly for size?), the most common choice was the WD TV Live. The reviews are mixed, though many people swear by them. I twice had trouble with WD's previous model, and switched to a Seagate Theater+, which worked much better for me. But they discontinued that one. I now use the Sony's in the same way as I used to use the TV Live and Theater+ (to connect to a NAS and to play from a local disk), and they perform much better. I'm too lazy to look up whether the TV Live supports NTFS, but I was running mine with large movie files (>8G), so it must support something other than FAT32.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   megancheung

megancheung

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 02:09 PM

I'll second the recommendation for a Compact Flash player. They are small, consume little power, and are built for 24/7 usage. The office staff won't have to do anything but let it run. Updating the content simply means updating the CF card; you could send a new card with fresh content for the office staff to swap out with next to no training.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   megancheung

megancheung

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 02:09 PM

I'll second the recommendation for a Compact Flash player. They are small, consume little power, and are built for 24/7 usage. The office staff won't have to do anything but let it run. Updating the content simply means updating the CF card; you could send a new card with fresh content for the office staff to swap out with next to no training.