Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Speaker placement advice needed .....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   tekwizrd

tekwizrd

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted March 24 2012 - 11:57 AM

I have Bose Acoustimass 10 cubes and a sub. I have two cubes on each channel for 200 watts per channel. I have had these speakers for some time now and recently started to dig into placement again a bit further. I have a 16 x 13 ft room. I installed the two fronts and two rears in the top corners near the cieling. The center speaker sits on top of the TV which would place it about four foot off of the floor and about 2 feet in front of the front speakers. I am thinking of moving the fronts and rears down to about half way down the walls level with the center channel. Looking for some advice if this is the right move. It will take some significant rewiring, Another thought is to add four more speakers and go 9.1. If I decide to that I'd like some advice on matching the Bose speakers. Thanks in advance!

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 27 2012 - 04:39 AM

*belongs in the speaker forum No offense, but those speakers CANNOT handle 200W. They would quickly expire. In the corners near the ceiling is fine for a bar, but not for your home theater. Speakers should be at ear level when seated in the listening position, so bringing them down would be a good idea. There are no matching speakers for Bose except Bose. You can only add speakers to a Bose system to the point that the bass module has connections, since the crossover is in the bass module not the cubes. That means these speakers really should be attached only to the bass module and not directly to the receiver. Based on that, to add more speakers, you would need to add another 2.1 set from them for them to properly match. My advice? Sell them and get some better speakers. Bose still pull in good money used for the same reason that people buy them: the name.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein