-

Photo
- - - - -

Horror hosts on dvd?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,654 posts

Posted March 24 2012 - 07:38 AM

I have all the 'Elvira' releases from Shout Factory. But I am curious, of the literally hundreds of horror hosts from different sectors across the U.S. are there any dvd releases? It's just a dreary Saturday afternoon, and I want more than anything to watch a horror host show....any one really. My favorite was 'Son Of Svengoolie' I had the opportunity to speak with mr. Koz himself way back in 2005. I asked him if there would ever be a dvd release of his show. He said unfortunately all the master tapes(of his early 80's shows) were thrown in the dumpster when he left the tv station. So in theory they no longer exist:( 'Saturday Night Dead' with host Stella. She was interviewed back in 2009, here is an excerpt: "I’m in the process of being archived by Broadcast Pioneers. Which I thought was kind of cool, makes me feel like an old movie (laughs). I have a 141 shows done over 6 years, and they have all been transferred to DVD, so I’m very excited. And I thought, ‘You know what? I have all the DVDs now, its Halloween night on a Saturday so I should have a party so a lot of people who were on my show, fans and friends that I have known over the years will be coming.’ I’m throwing a wake for Stella. I’ll stuff my gown and a friend is building me a coffin.." I just wish I could own them on dvd. I love the concept of 'horror hosts' and I always will. I think at the very least some of these should be released on dvd. To restore a "bygone era" in the wonderful world of television.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   progrocktv

progrocktv

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted March 24 2012 - 08:21 AM

Check Count Gore Devol's official web page, he has a few at a really cheap price available at http://countgore.com/gore/video.htm
My current "obscurities" wishlist:
The Magician (Starring Bill Bixby)/ Project UFO/ Search (Probe)/ T.H.E. Cat/ It Takes a Thief/ My Mother the Car/ Man from Atlantis/ The Goodies (season sets R1)/ Hey Landlord!/Captain Nice/ Green Hornet/ '66 Batman (yea, right!)/

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,654 posts

Posted March 24 2012 - 11:58 AM

Thanks. That is exactly the type I am looking for.

housekeeping 2.jpg

#4 of 15 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted March 25 2012 - 01:10 AM

Hello, If you have access to newsgroups, you could do a search for "Dr. Paul Bearer". That will bring up a bunch of his shows that you could watch. He was a local, here in Tampa, horror show host. Luckily, a bunch of people taped some shows of his before it was canceled. He has since passed away. Hope this is not against the rules here. Mark

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,210 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 25 2012 - 02:01 AM

I would buy a good DVD compilation of horror hosts from around the country.  What a great tribute to a golden era of "local" or regional TV that would be.  I wouldn't even know most of them, but wouldn't have to to enjoy that.  The example in the first post is great.

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,247 posts

Posted March 25 2012 - 04:33 AM

I'd like to see DVDs of "The Ghoul" who hosted Horror Flicks on Cleveland and Detroit TV in the late 1970s. :laugh: Long before MST3K had its Robot Silhouettes make wise cracks we Had the Ghoul and his sound effects (People Belching after they drank something, Crashing Noises after an object was tossed off screen, every kind of vehicle honking horns, ect) making cheesy movies HILARIOUS to watch. Oh yea, some kind of Plastic Model was always BLOWN UP with Firecrackers during his show! :D

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,372 :biggrin: ( 755 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,413  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,654 posts

Posted March 25 2012 - 05:40 AM

I think the two biggest problems facing these releases are Licensing (although a good share of these films are Public Domain). And most were probably discarded when the horror host left his respective station(Like the Son Of Svengoolie incident). Also a good share of them were ending, or already finished when VCR's were in their infancy, so not many shows were recorded. It may just turn out the extreme wealth of hours, and seasons of footage may just have to exist solely in the memories of the folks that watched, and loved them at the time.

housekeeping 2.jpg

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,960 posts

Posted March 26 2012 - 04:39 AM

If there are extant tapes of the host, I think it would be great just to release those. For the most part, the better horror films are available on DVD anyway, and it would be nice to have introductions and assoicated bits related to them. Personally, the shows I would most like to see would those of The Sherlock Holmes Theater. WGN had Basil Rathbone host the show in 64-65 or 65-66 and I think it was syndicated. It tshowed some of the Rathbone Bruce films as well as some Charlie Chan. I would love to get copies of Rathbone's introductions, etc. I wouldn't need the movies, I already have them.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,210 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 26 2012 - 04:45 AM

I'd be totally happy with only the host segments and just enough around them to show the entire lead-in and exit from the film.  I'm not suggesting we need actual movie content.  I'd just love a great compilation of these different programs.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,654 posts

Posted March 26 2012 - 05:57 AM

I'd be totally happy with only the host segments and just enough around them to show the entire lead-in and exit from the film.  I'm not suggesting we need actual movie content.  I'd just love a great compilation of these different programs.

Yeah, that is a good idea. I'd be extremely happy with that.

housekeeping 2.jpg

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,614 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted March 26 2012 - 01:36 PM

I don't know if any complete programs still exist. Sivad, in an interview later in life, indicated the program was performed live and segments were not recorded. Even if they were I'm sure the station, WHBQ-TV in Memphis, erased any video elements long ago, but I *did* find this clip on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qG62kDIMeo&feature=player_detailpage It contains the show open for "Fantastic Features" with Sivad and continues with a sales pitch for sponsors. It is very indicative of what you could expect from the typical host segments in the films. The open was filmed in Overton Park in Memphis. I got my introduction to many classic Sci-Fi and Horror films on this program. I actually found a page which lists *every* film, along with the date, that was shown on "Fantastic Features"! *That* was a very cool find! Check the link as there are *lots* of listings for hundreds of these type shows on that site. Seeing the open again after all these years really brought back some memories! :)

#12 of 15 ONLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 568 posts

Posted March 28 2012 - 01:28 AM

I think the two biggest problems facing these releases are Licensing (although a good share of these films are Public Domain). And most were probably discarded when the horror host left his respective station(Like the Son Of Svengoolie incident). Also a good share of them were ending, or already finished when VCR's were in their infancy, so not many shows were recorded. It may just turn out the extreme wealth of hours, and seasons of footage may just have to exist solely in the memories of the folks that watched, and loved them at the time.

I believe the story of the Son Of Svengoolie tapes being dumped is partly true, but I IIRC Rich Koz did succeed in rescuing some of them, or at least kept copies. Not of the whole run, unfortunately. But once in a while when a movie runs short on his current show, he's been known to throw on an old "classic clip" once in a while... I'm not 100% certain about this, but I recall a story of Koz getting a phone call alerting him to the tapes getting discarded, and he may possibly have actually rescued a bunch out of a dumpster. But this is just from memory. At any rate, a fair amount was saved.:)

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,890 posts

Posted March 31 2012 - 11:50 AM

Here's another horror host (and fellow Dark Shadows fan)- Penny Dreadful: http://www.shillingshockers.com/ She has complete seasons of her shows on DVD!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,277 posts

Posted March 31 2012 - 03:23 PM

Yeah I'm a huge fan. Growing up in Western Mass Sat and Sun Afternoons were spent watching many of the great shows on Early Cable and Rabbit Ears from Boston
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,619 posts

Posted April 02 2012 - 02:22 PM

If you haven't seen it, you should check out the documentary, AMERICAN SCARY (2006), about the 'horror host' phenomenon over the decades. Interspersed with contemporary interviews with surviving hosts and fans, it has a bunch of clips of various classic hosts doing their thing in their prime, including Vampira, Zacherle, Ghoulardi, Elvira, The Ghoul, Son of Svengoolie, Seymour, Stella, Chilly Billy Cardille, Count Gore De Vol, Morgus, Sir Graves Ghastly, Big Chuck & Li'l John, John Stanley, Commander USA, etc, as well as newer hosts from the world of local access cable and the internet (i.e. Penny Dreadful). While the clips aren't enough to suffice as intros to any classic creature feature you might pull off the shelf, it's a fun an interesting flick, and will give you a taste of their various shticks, in case you go looking around for further footage of them on YouTube, DVD, etc. Here's the trailer: And the full feature is available, licensed/legitimately, for free viewing on YouTube as well: http://www.youtube.c...n&feature=mv_sr

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)