What's new

Demetrius and the Gladiators Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

mark brown

Supporting Actor
I re-watched and am convinced the "sync" problems are perhaps related to poor dubbing or looping. Oftentimes the dialogue sounds ok but a "slap" or "punch" sound effect seem to come half a second after the action takes place. Also, Cinemascope Tri-sound seems to heighten problems with the sound...

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
mark brown said:
I re-watched and am convinced the "sync" problems are perhaps related to poor dubbing or looping. Oftentimes the dialogue sounds ok but a "slap" or "punch" sound effect seem to come half a second after the action takes place. Also, Cinemascope Tri-sound seems to heighten problems with the sound...
"Cinemascope Tri-sound" ?

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
mark brown said:
Grainy, washed out, dark and soft and a real disappointment. For this price Fox should do some minimal clean-up!
I noticed very little grain. The colors are super-saturated. The images were focused and on a par with the type of CinemaScope projects I grew up watching in theaters. This was a pretty clean print of "Demetrius...", as well. Overall, it's far from a disappointment for me, at all.
The sound was a major plus for me, as well. No sync problems that I noticed and the depth/dimenson of the soundscape and score were superb.
Played this on my LG all-region player.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Virgoan said:
I noticed very little grain. The colors are super-saturated. The images were focused and on a par with the type of CinemaScope projects I grew up watching in theaters. This was a pretty clean print of "Demetrisu...", as well. Overall, it's far from a disappointment for me, at all.
The sound was a major plus for me, as well. No sync problems that I noticed and the depth/dimenson of the soundscape and score were superb.
Played this on my LG all-region player.
While the colors may appear to be saturated, the transfer leans too heavily to the brown/yellow spectrum. All one has to do is compare it to The Egyptian to see what it should look like. It's not egregious here and definitely not worth passing on the disc for - it's not an optimal presentation, but when people say it "sucks" and is a travesty, well, it makes one wonder if they've actually seen any real Blu-ray transfer travesties. For me, this Demetrius is well worth owning.

Real Name
Christopher D. Jacobson
The muted colors is actually the biggest reason I'm very hesitant to get this Blu-ray. I'll probably dole out for it eventually, but the brown veneer of the whole thing bugs me.
Still, I bought Deep Red on Blu-ray with its strong yellow look and was fine with that even though I wish it were more colorful, so I think in the end it won't bother me much.
The Egyptian, on the other hand... Holy wow is it colorful. I love the look of that Blu-ray.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Kriztoffer Swank said:
The muted colors is actually the biggest reason I'm very hesitant to get this Blu-ray. I'll probably dole out for it eventually, but the brown veneer of the whole thing bugs me.
Still, I bought Deep Red on Blu-ray with its strong yellow look and was fine with that even though I wish it were more colorful, so I think in the end it won't bother me much.
The Egyptian, on the other hand... Holy wow is it colorful. I love the look of that Blu-ray.
That brown look is how I've always seen DEMETRIUS, both on television broadcasts and a 16mm print I used to have. So the Blu-ray doesn't bother me at all; it's still the best I've ever seen it look, even if the color isn't technically correct.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I am sure Rimini Editions is not a bootleg label. They have released other Fox titles licensed through Hollywood Classics such as "Compulsion".

There seems to be a Fox logo on the spine of the cover. Bootleggers usually do not take their fraud that far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks