Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

Demetrius and the Gladiators Blu-ray Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   mark brown

mark brown

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts

Posted March 29 2012 - 12:59 AM

I re-watched and am convinced the "sync" problems are perhaps related to poor dubbing or looping. Oftentimes the dialogue sounds ok but a "slap" or "punch" sound effect seem to come half a second after the action takes place. Also, Cinemascope Tri-sound seems to heighten problems with the sound...

#2 of 7 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted March 29 2012 - 01:24 AM

That's not the problem....the dvd is fine.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,398 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted March 29 2012 - 02:33 AM

I re-watched and am convinced the "sync" problems are perhaps related to poor dubbing or looping. Oftentimes the dialogue sounds ok but a "slap" or "punch" sound effect seem to come half a second after the action takes place. Also, Cinemascope Tri-sound seems to heighten problems with the sound...

"Cinemascope Tri-sound" ?

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Virgoan

Virgoan

Second Unit

• 321 posts
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted March 29 2012 - 05:47 AM

Grainy, washed out, dark and soft and a real disappointment. For this price Fox should do some minimal clean-up!

I noticed very little grain. The colors are super-saturated. The images were focused and on a par with the type of CinemaScope projects I grew up watching in theaters. This was a pretty clean print of "Demetrius...", as well. Overall, it's far from a disappointment for me, at all. The sound was a major plus for me, as well. No sync problems that I noticed and the depth/dimenson of the soundscape and score were superb. Played this on my LG all-region player.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,372 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted March 29 2012 - 06:21 AM

I noticed very little grain. The colors are super-saturated. The images were focused and on a par with the type of CinemaScope projects I grew up watching in theaters. This was a pretty clean print of "Demetrisu...", as well. Overall, it's far from a disappointment for me, at all. The sound was a major plus for me, as well. No sync problems that I noticed and the depth/dimenson of the soundscape and score were superb. Played this on my LG all-region player.

While the colors may appear to be saturated, the transfer leans too heavily to the brown/yellow spectrum. All one has to do is compare it to The Egyptian to see what it should look like. It's not egregious here and definitely not worth passing on the disc for - it's not an optimal presentation, but when people say it "sucks" and is a travesty, well, it makes one wonder if they've actually seen any real Blu-ray transfer travesties. For me, this Demetrius is well worth owning.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Kriztoffer Swank

Kriztoffer Swank

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted June 14 2012 - 01:58 PM

The muted colors is actually the biggest reason I'm very hesitant to get this Blu-ray. I'll probably dole out for it eventually, but the brown veneer of the whole thing bugs me. Still, I bought Deep Red on Blu-ray with its strong yellow look and was fine with that even though I wish it were more colorful, so I think in the end it won't bother me much. The Egyptian, on the other hand... Holy wow is it colorful. I love the look of that Blu-ray.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted June 15 2012 - 06:44 AM

The muted colors is actually the biggest reason I'm very hesitant to get this Blu-ray. I'll probably dole out for it eventually, but the brown veneer of the whole thing bugs me. Still, I bought Deep Red on Blu-ray with its strong yellow look and was fine with that even though I wish it were more colorful, so I think in the end it won't bother me much. The Egyptian, on the other hand... Holy wow is it colorful. I love the look of that Blu-ray.

That brown look is how I've always seen DEMETRIUS, both on television broadcasts and a 16mm print I used to have. So the Blu-ray doesn't bother me at all; it's still the best I've ever seen it look, even if the color isn't technically correct.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users