-

Photo
- - - - -

The Giant Behemoth

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,256 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 22 2012 - 08:36 AM

I'm exactly sure where to post this since the movie in question is long gone from the theaters and I'm discussing the movie and not a DVD (if there is one). If the mods want to move this feel free to do so. Just watched this on TCM and it's a real stinker. It's like an Ed Wood movie with 10 times the budget ($10K :) ). Script, direction, and acting are all just plain bad. The actors are better than Ed's movies, but not by a lot. Willis O'brien is credited as ding the creature effects and they are a pale imitation of King Kong for sure. The dinosaur walks very stiffly, there's no fluidity to the moment. Never can you suspend critical belief and accept it as a living creature. I presume he was at the end of his career and had a limited budget. It's sad to see him associated with this movie.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,200 posts

Posted March 22 2012 - 09:03 AM

Gotta love the redundant title too. I remember seeing this as a kid. Oh, and Johnny, here ya go:

http://www.amazon.co...tmm_dvd_title_0

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,256 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 23 2012 - 05:54 AM

I clicked on that link and discovered the director also did Beast from 20K. The director can do good work, but he didn't this time. I was also shocked to see it was rated 3.5 stars with over 40 ratings. I would have rated this 1.5 (with Ed Wood at 1). I realize that liking a movie can be a personal and subjective thing, but this one is so bad, it's hard to believe its being rated that high. Here's a quote from a review:

If this genre [50's style atomic creature/features] is appealing to you, this film is among the best of its kind. The film transfer is very good for a 46 year old film, and very well worth viewing.

Oh, please, this film is "among the worst of its kind."
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend