Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Early Films of Stanley Kubrick coming from Kino

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,929 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 21 2012 - 06:27 AM

just a head up, hope we will hear Crierion is doing Spartacus

but Kino is full of surprises Day of the Fight, The Flying Padre, The Seafares, and in it's first official release on any video format Fear and Desire

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,705 posts

Posted March 21 2012 - 07:39 AM

Very interesting news indeed. From the announcement on blu-ray.com

Independent distributors Kino Lorber have revealed that they are planning to release on Blu-ray a collection of early films directed by Stanley Kubrick. The collection will include Day of the Fight (1951), The Flying Padre (1951), Fear and Desire (1953), and The Seafarers (1953). Kino Lorber have indicated that the release is expected to street in Fall 2012.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted March 21 2012 - 01:44 PM

Exciting news. I can't hardly wait.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,976 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted March 26 2012 - 09:58 AM

I wont believe it until I see it, but I'm excited!

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan

Second Unit

• 477 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa CA

Posted March 26 2012 - 10:06 AM

Yes!!

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,527 posts

Posted March 26 2012 - 02:59 PM

Has the Kubrick estate officially changed it's stance on Fear and Desire?

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted March 27 2012 - 06:52 PM

Has the Kubrick estate officially changed it's stance on Fear and Desire?

It aired on TCM back in December. I'm not sure what the story is with the estate, but it's nice that it's finally out there.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,929 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 28 2012 - 08:33 AM

ok for those of you in the area, NYC here is a little something

Fear and Desire screens on March 28 and 31 as part of the 41st New Directors / New Films

Todays start time is 6:30 PM

and a great Q/A with Paul Mazursky

http://www.filmlinc....fear-and-desire

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#9 of 11 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,231 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 28 2012 - 08:56 AM

That's tonight, dammit.  Can't do.  Maybe the 31st.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,929 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 28 2012 - 09:07 AM

wife has family there, and possibly a trip this weekend, so maybe sunday, but the Distributor of the film is Kino, so i think it is going to represent what they have to work with for the release.

Playing at the Drive In

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Douche McGraw

Douche McGraw

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 05:36 AM

The rights to the film aren't actually owned by the Kubrick estate. Eastman screened a restored print of the film at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood back in 2010. It was explained then that the rights were actually held by the original distributor of the film (from back in 1953). Eastman had hoped to partner up with someone in order to distribute the newly restored print, but they would need to negotiate with the heirs of the distributor, whoever they may be. It seems they've since been found and a deal struck. I can tell you that the restored print is a gem. It wasn't struck from a negative, but rather - I hope I'm not confusing this with another film - from a long lost print of the film recently unearthed in Puerto Rico, and in good condition. Eastman spent considerable time and resources cleaning it up, and if the transfer of the film is done with care, we're in for a very special treat. If we're really lucky, there may be a commentary track from Paul Mazursky, who starred in the film and attended the Hollywood screening and provided a really informative Q&A afterward. I have no idea who has/had the rights to Kubrick's documentaries, but my guess is that this entire presentation is being done without the blessing or contribution of the Kubrick estate. I suppose this also means that the estate won't see a dime of the profits, but I suppose that's been the case all these years anyway.