What's new

Circus World French Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Circus World has been released in France on Blu by a company called Filmedia.
For screencaps, looking good, go here:
http://www.dvdclassik.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=33580&p=2169621
Link to relevant Amazon page on top of thread.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Looks nice, but as far as I can tell, no English soundtrack, or subtitles. No Go for me.

Richard V said:
Looks nice, but as far as I can tell, no English soundtrack, or subtitles. No Go for me.
This may be true, but a review by an American for the French Blu-ray release of The Unforgiven (which states language as French only on Amazon) says that film has a English track and removable subtitles. I guess we need a brave soul to take a chance on Circus World.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Korean DVD and French Blu-ray - http://cineramahistory.com/cw2.htm
The Blu-ray does look a lot better and more picture information on all four sides.
The running time on the French Blu-ray is listed as 144 minutes. The Korean DVD is 138 minutes. The running time is listed as 135 minutes plus intermission here - http://cineramahistory.com/1964circusworldreview.jpg and many other web sites.
From the dvdclassik.com/forum/ - "Running time is 142 minutes with the intermission and exit music, but not the overture."

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Richard V said:
Does have a english sountrack but with forced french subtitles.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
From http://www.dvdclassik.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=33580&p=2169621
8c4e44d6_cw.jpeg

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
Just watched the French Blu Ray of CIRCUS WORLD. Good news...It says Region B.....but it definitely plays on my Region A blu ray player .. It is 144 minutes and there is a short Overture and also Intermission music...both played over black (Nice). The aspect ratio is 2.20 ( as a film shot in 70mm ) and not 2.35 as the back cover indicates. The stereo sounds great. The downside...forced French subtitles.
Overall it looks good....On first glance.. better that the blu rays of El CID and FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
kagemusha98 said:
Just watched the French Blu Ray of CIRCUS WORLD. Good news...It says Region B.....but it definitely plays on my Region A blu ray player .. It is 144 minutes and there is a short Overture and also Intermission music...both played over black (Nice). The aspect ratio is 2.20 ( as a film shot in 70mm ) and not 2.35 as the back cover indicates. The stereo sounds great. The downside...forced French subtitles.
Overall it looks good....On first glance.. better that the blu rays of El CID and FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE.
From the dvdclassik.com/forum/ - "Running time is 142 minutes with the intermission and exit music, but not the overture." So it has overture, intermission and exit music too?
Anything coming out of the surround speakers? The Korean disc did not.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
It is 2.0 DTS stereo. Before the film begins there is a notice that comes up that overture music will be played to a black screen. .. It is brief however. Intermission is also played as well. The back of the box lists 144 min...but is 2 hr 22min and 40 sec.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
IMDB lists the film as 135 minutes. If memory serves me...there not an overture...but brief "circus theme". There is no Overture on the original soundtrack.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
kagemusha98 said:
It is 2.0 DTS stereo. Before the film begins there is a notice that comes up that overture music will be played to a black screen. .. It is brief however. Intermission is also played as well. The back of the box lists 144 min...but is 2 hr 22min and 40 sec.
2.0 DTS stereo? No center or surround channels. The picture looks excellent but only stereo sound and forced French subtitles, I'll skip.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
I enjoyed it immensely .....the presentation was the best I've seen since seeing it in "Cinerama" in Manhattan when I was young. There definite left, right, and center stereo.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
kagemusha98 said:
... The aspect ratio is 2.20 ( as a film shot in 70mm ) and not 2.35 as the back cover indicates. ...
It was shot in 35mm eight perforations Technirama. The negative had an aspect ratio of 1.50 with a 1.5 anamorphic squeeze - which gave the negative an aspect ratio of 2.25:1 when unsqueezed. 35mm scope prints were 2.35:1 with "Magoptical" Four Track Stereo. 70mm Super Technirama 70 prints were 2.21:1 with Magnetic Six Track Stereo - L, LC, C, RC, R stage channels and mono surround channel.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
kagemusha98 said:
I enjoyed it immensely .....the presentation was the best I've seen since seeing it in "Cinerama" in Manhattan when I was young. There definite left, right, and center stereo.
Hey Ken,
If your into Cinerama, check out my web site at http://cineramahistory.com/

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'm not quite as enamored of this as the rest seem to be. It has its moments, certainly and looks better than it ever has on home video - but 2.0? That is just ridiculous for a 6-track stereo show.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
haineshisway said:
I'm not quite as enamored of this as the rest seem to be. It has its moments, certainly and looks better than it ever has on home video - but 2.0? That is just ridiculous for a 6-track stereo show.
This is a release from a small label and they worked with what they had. I am sure we all would have preferred the original 6 channel soundtrack but it seems it is not available.
Picture quality is so good that it still walks all over the other two Bronstons released exclusively in Europe even though those two have 5.1 lossless soundtracks.
For me the surprise of the year and it would be great if the company that did this could also do the necessary work on 55 Days at Peking - preferably with a 5.1 lossless soundtrack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks