Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading from HTiB

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Nethus

Nethus

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted March 20 2012 - 11:28 AM

Hi there, I am currently looking to upgrade from a DVD HTiB system I brought a year ago to a 'real' home theater system which I have been very eager to do for some time so I may finally start enjoying some blu-rays and would just like to run a few things/ideas past the experts before spending all the pennies. Please note, being on the otherside of the world to the most of you (New Zealand) the product range I have access to is much more limited, along with the prices associated with them. Firstly, receiver - looking at a Denon AVR-1312 or Yamaha RXV371. About the two least expensive receivers around here. Both 5.1, Yamaha has the setup microphone, Denon has the better reputation/brand. Both identical price. $650NZ. Speakers - for another ~$300NZ you can get the Denon/Yamaha 5.1 speaker sets with the above/similar receivers or look at the small range of individual speakers available to us (Polk, B&W, Klipsch, Sony/Yamaha/Pioneer, Velodyne). The best idea for me based on a lot of reading is getting a matching set of individual Polk speakers and a Velodyne sub. However I don't have that kind of money, so what seems to be popular instead of getting a cheap set, is starting with a 2.0 system and building up to 3.0 to 3.1 to 5.1. A question I do have here is whether instead of getting the two main floorstanding speakers first, whether I should get bookshelves first (half the price, leaving $$$ to spare to add the sub/center earlier on and eventually use the bookshelves as the rears). (Specific Speaker Models: TSi300 Floorstanding[set] $1200NZ, CS10 Center $500NZ, TSi100 Bookshelves[set] $500NZ). I look forward to your insight.

#2 of 4 ONLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,760 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 20 2012 - 12:31 PM

I don't think the yamaha 371 has their YPAO setup/eq feature. At least not here in the US. The Only entry-level receiver with room correction is the Pioneer 521. I agree that the Denon is probably the best choice over-all but some kind of room correction would be nice. I say get the bookshelves first, the subwoofer second, the center third and the fronts forth. We all like towers (must be a macho thing! :cool:) but you're better off getting the TSi200's for the fronts and using the money saved for a better subwoofer. But I fully understand if you want the towers anyway (so do I :blush: ).
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Nethus

Nethus

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted March 20 2012 - 12:41 PM

I don't think the yamaha 371 has their YPAO setup/eq feature.

You're right - the model doesn't seem to, yet the specifications given by one of the retailers says otherwise! Probably just some misinformation. Thanks for taking the time to respond (:

#4 of 4 ONLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,760 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 20 2012 - 01:14 PM

Even manufactures websites can be mis-leading and/or confusing sometimes. It's best to down-load the manuals and give them a read. Sometimes you'll find things in there you didn't know about.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.