What's new

"Yellow Submarine" (1968) May 29th from Capitol (2 Viewers)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Too bad it isn't at much of a discount. I'll still get it, but that's a lot for a disc with identical extras to the DVD. Here's hoping the picture and sound are worth it.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Brian Kidd said:
Too bad it isn't at much of a discount. I'll still get it, but that's a lot for a disc with identical extras to the DVD. Here's hoping the picture and sound are worth it.
Twenty-two bucks is "a lot" for a disc? I must be living in a different universe :)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
haineshisway said:
Twenty-two bucks is "a lot" for a disc? I must be living in a different universe :)
It's Blu-ray what did you expect. I'd like to see a boat load of special features, seeing as this a very influential piece of film animation, that and we have two of the four Beatles still alive, so they can always to contribute, before they get on in age and forget when the mind goes.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
darkrock17 said:
It's Blu-ray what did you expect. I'd like to see a boat load of special features, seeing as this a very influential piece of film animation, that and we have two of the four Beatles still alive, so they can always to contribute, before they get on in age and forget when the mind goes.
Regardless of all that, twenty-two bucks is hardly out there in terms of pricing on this particular disc. At least it isn't for me. Coulda shoulda woulda in terms of what could have been put on but wasn't - and you don't know that the two surviving members of The Beatles had any interest in doing anything, or, if they had interest, that they could have been afforded - there are extras and it should be a nice-looking disc, at least that's the hope.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
While it would be nice to have Paul and Ringo in there, the lads didn't really have a whole lot to do with the production of the film.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Brian Kidd said:
If they start with a low discount at Amazon, it will usually increase once a title gets closer to release date, so I would expect the price to go down. If it doesn't, some retailer will offer it for less and Amazon will probably drop their price to match anyway.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The price at Amazon was $17.49 when I ordered it (when it was initially announced, before Amazon pulled the listing). I expect it to get back down to that price before release.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Steve,

Being that they pulled the listing after you ordered it,
are they still honoring that price?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Ronald Epstein said:
Steve,
Being that they pulled the listing after you ordered it,
are they still honoring that price?
I wondered the same thing, but that's the price that shows up on my invoice. I also noticed that the Indiana Jones set is back up to $74.99 where I have a price locked in at $69.99. I'm hoping that will go lower before release date.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Twenty-two bucks is "a lot" for a disc? I must be living in a different universe
With tax and shipping, it's $27. While I know that's nothing compared to what the laserdisc cost back in the day, it's still a lot for a disc where the only selling point is a potentially-improved picture. Is there even a new sound mix or are they using the same one from the DVD? It was good, don't get me wrong. I'm just sadly amongst the ranks of the unemployed right now, so $27 is a little more than I'd hope to pay for this. :)

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Brian Kidd said:
With tax and shipping, it's $27. While I know that's nothing compared to what the laserdisc cost back in the day, it's still a lot for a disc where the only selling point is a potentially-improved picture. Is there even a new sound mix or are they using the same one from the DVD? It was good, don't get me wrong. I'm just sadly amongst the ranks of the unemployed right now, so $27 is a little more than I'd hope to pay for this.
As I posted before in this thread, "Yellow Submarine" was remixed for 5.1 surround from the original multitrack work parts at Abbey Road Studios by Allan Rouse, who recently co-supervised the 2009 remastering of the Beatles catalog. This was done in 96k/24-bit resolution and downconverted for DVD playback in Dolby Digital lossy compression. The new blu-ray takes these high resolution files and makes them available in lossless 24-bit surround commercially for the first time ever, so the upgrade is in both picture and sound!!!

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
As I posted before in this thread, "Yellow Submarine" was remixed for 5.1 surround from the original multitrack work parts at Abbey Road Studios by Allan Rouse, who recently co-supervised the 2009 remastering of the Beatles catalog. This was done in 96k/24-bit resolution and downconverted for DVD playback in Dolby Digital lossy compression. The new blu-ray takes these high resolution files and makes them available in lossless 24-bit surround commercially for the first time ever, so the upgrade is in both picture and sound!!!
Thanks. I must have missed that earlier in the thread. :) That definitely makes the pill a little easier to swallow.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I just noticed over on the Amazon page that an isolated music track isn't listed. This was one of my favorite features of the DVD. It would be a shame if one isn't made for the Blu-ray.

GregK

Screenwriter
For anyone interested, here is a 1999 MIX article detailing the late 1990s restoration efforts, and the various aspects of the 5.1 remix.
http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_years_remixed_yellow/
It is a fascinating read.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
[
So essentially, by the outcome of the legal action of Subafilms against MGM, the rights of Subafilms (which I believe is a corporation formed by Brian Epstein for film productions - they are also credited on "The Beatles at Shea Stadium") to control distribution of the film were upheld. So the 1999 reissue through MGM was probably a short term agreement based on the fact that the project was suggested by an executive within the company.
Subafilms is credited on the Jerry & The Pacemakers film, "Ferry Cross The Mersey" - Brian Epstein was their manager as well.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Brian Kidd /t/319424/yellow-submarine-1968-may-29th-from-capitol/30#post_3914530
I just noticed over on the Amazon page that an isolated music track isn't listed. This was one of my favorite features of the DVD. It would be a shame if one isn't made for the Blu-ray.
Unfortunately, it was botched on the DVD, as the isolated track sounded MUCH worse than the same songs actually IN the movie (weaker, with less separation). Not to mention the mono track changing to stereo for a whole reel of film.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by Larry Geller /t/319424/yellow-submarine-1968-may-29th-from-capitol/30#post_3914762
Unfortunately, it was botched on the DVD, as the isolated track sounded MUCH worse than the same songs actually IN the movie (weaker, with less separation). Not to mention the mono track changing to stereo for a whole reel of film.
If the isolated 5.1-channel music track IS ported over this time from the DVD, it should be in lossless 24-bit resolution. They have the storage space for it on the disc. The movie itself is less than 90 minutes, so...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks