Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Yellow Submarine" (1968) May 29th from Capitol

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 of 71 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,405 posts

Posted April 02 2012 - 01:57 PM

Back up for preorder

http://www.amazon.co...33403729&sr=8-2

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 71 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,734 posts

Posted April 03 2012 - 07:27 AM

Too bad it isn't at much of a discount. I'll still get it, but that's a lot for a disc with identical extras to the DVD. Here's hoping the picture and sound are worth it.
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!

#3 of 71 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,544 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 03 2012 - 10:04 AM

Too bad it isn't at much of a discount. I'll still get it, but that's a lot for a disc with identical extras to the DVD. Here's hoping the picture and sound are worth it.
Twenty-two bucks is "a lot" for a disc? I must be living in a different universe :)

#4 of 71 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 834 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted April 03 2012 - 01:21 PM

Twenty-two bucks is "a lot" for a disc? I must be living in a different universe :)
It's Blu-ray what did you expect. I'd like to see a boat load of special features, seeing as this a very influential piece of film animation, that and we have two of the four Beatles still alive, so they can always to contribute, before they get on in age and forget when the mind goes.

#5 of 71 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,544 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 03 2012 - 01:28 PM

It's Blu-ray what did you expect. I'd like to see a boat load of special features, seeing as this a very influential piece of film animation, that and we have two of the four Beatles still alive, so they can always to contribute, before they get on in age and forget when the mind goes.
Regardless of all that, twenty-two bucks is hardly out there in terms of pricing on this particular disc. At least it isn't for me. Coulda shoulda woulda in terms of what could have been put on but wasn't - and you don't know that the two surviving members of The Beatles had any interest in doing anything, or, if they had interest, that they could have been afforded - there are extras and it should be a nice-looking disc, at least that's the hope.

#6 of 71 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,756 posts

Posted April 04 2012 - 02:18 AM

While it would be nice to have Paul and Ringo in there, the lads didn't really have a whole lot to do with the production of the film.

#7 of 71 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,945 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 04 2012 - 04:19 AM

If they start with a low discount at Amazon, it will usually increase once a title gets closer to release date, so I would expect the price to go down. If it doesn't, some retailer will offer it for less and Amazon will probably drop their price to match anyway.

#8 of 71 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 04 2012 - 06:52 AM

The price at Amazon was $17.49 when I ordered it (when it was initially announced, before Amazon pulled the listing). I expect it to get back down to that price before release.

#9 of 71 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,405 posts

Posted April 04 2012 - 07:00 AM

Steve,   Being that they pulled the listing after you ordered it, are they still honoring that price?

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#10 of 71 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 04 2012 - 07:18 AM

Steve, Being that they pulled the listing after you ordered it, are they still honoring that price?
I wondered the same thing, but that's the price that shows up on my invoice. I also noticed that the Indiana Jones set is back up to $74.99 where I have a price locked in at $69.99. I'm hoping that will go lower before release date.

#11 of 71 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,734 posts

Posted April 06 2012 - 12:14 PM

Twenty-two bucks is "a lot" for a disc? I must be living in a different universe
With tax and shipping, it's $27. While I know that's nothing compared to what the laserdisc cost back in the day, it's still a lot for a disc where the only selling point is a potentially-improved picture. Is there even a new sound mix or are they using the same one from the DVD? It was good, don't get me wrong. I'm just sadly amongst the ranks of the unemployed right now, so $27 is a little more than I'd hope to pay for this. :)

#12 of 71 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,393 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted April 07 2012 - 01:02 AM

With tax and shipping, it's $27. While I know that's nothing compared to what the laserdisc cost back in the day, it's still a lot for a disc where the only selling point is a potentially-improved picture. Is there even a new sound mix or are they using the same one from the DVD? It was good, don't get me wrong. I'm just sadly amongst the ranks of the unemployed right now, so $27 is a little more than I'd hope to pay for this.
As I posted before in this thread, "Yellow Submarine" was remixed for 5.1 surround from the original multitrack work parts at Abbey Road Studios by Allan Rouse, who recently co-supervised the 2009 remastering of the Beatles catalog. This was done in 96k/24-bit resolution and downconverted for DVD playback in Dolby Digital lossy compression. The new blu-ray takes these high resolution files and makes them available in lossless 24-bit surround commercially for the first time ever, so the upgrade is in both picture and sound!!!

#13 of 71 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,734 posts

Posted April 07 2012 - 09:06 AM

As I posted before in this thread, "Yellow Submarine" was remixed for 5.1 surround from the original multitrack work parts at Abbey Road Studios by Allan Rouse, who recently co-supervised the 2009 remastering of the Beatles catalog. This was done in 96k/24-bit resolution and downconverted for DVD playback in Dolby Digital lossy compression. The new blu-ray takes these high resolution files and makes them available in lossless 24-bit surround commercially for the first time ever, so the upgrade is in both picture and sound!!!
Thanks. I must have missed that earlier in the thread. :) That definitely makes the pill a little easier to swallow.

#14 of 71 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,734 posts

Posted April 08 2012 - 06:34 PM

I just noticed over on the Amazon page that an isolated music track isn't listed. This was one of my favorite features of the DVD. It would be a shame if one isn't made for the Blu-ray.

#15 of 71 OFFLINE   GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted April 08 2012 - 07:54 PM

For anyone interested, here is a 1999 MIX article detailing the late 1990s restoration efforts, and the various aspects of the 5.1 remix. http://mixonline.com...remixed_yellow/ It is a fascinating read.

#16 of 71 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,137 posts

Posted April 08 2012 - 09:35 PM

[
So essentially, by the outcome of the legal action of Subafilms against MGM, the rights of Subafilms (which I believe is a corporation formed by Brian Epstein for film productions - they are also credited on "The Beatles at Shea Stadium") to control distribution of the film were upheld. So the 1999 reissue through MGM was probably a short term agreement based on the fact that the project was suggested by an executive within the company.
Subafilms is credited on the Jerry & The Pacemakers film, "Ferry Cross The Mersey" - Brian Epstein was their manager as well.

#17 of 71 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,734 posts

Posted April 09 2012 - 07:46 AM

For anyone interested, here is a 1999 MIX article detailing the late 1990s restoration efforts, and the various aspects of the 5.1 remix.
http://mixonline.com...remixed_yellow/
It is a fascinating read.

I remember reading that article when it first came out. It is truly fascinating. Thanks for digging it up!

#18 of 71 OFFLINE   Larry Geller

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor

• 562 posts

Posted April 09 2012 - 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kidd /t/319424/yellow-submarine-1968-may-29th-from-capitol/30#post_3914530 I just noticed over on the Amazon page that an isolated music track isn't listed. This was one of my favorite features of the DVD. It would be a shame if one isn't made for the Blu-ray.
Unfortunately, it was botched on the DVD, as the isolated track sounded MUCH worse than the same songs actually IN the movie (weaker, with less separation). Not to mention the mono track changing to stereo for a whole reel of film.    
Mmmm, snout!-Homer Simpson

#19 of 71 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,393 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted April 09 2012 - 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Geller /t/319424/yellow-submarine-1968-may-29th-from-capitol/30#post_3914762 Unfortunately, it was botched on the DVD, as the isolated track sounded MUCH worse than the same songs actually IN the movie (weaker, with less separation). Not to mention the mono track changing to stereo for a whole reel of film.    
If the isolated 5.1-channel music track IS ported over this time from the DVD, it should be in lossless 24-bit resolution. They have the storage space for it on the disc. The movie itself is less than 90 minutes, so...    

#20 of 71 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,405 posts

Posted April 17 2012 - 03:28 AM

Great News!  Amazon has dropped the price to $16.99

http://www.amazon.co...34662034&sr=8-1

Ronald J Epstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users