Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Yellow Submarine" (1968) May 29th from Capitol

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 of 102 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,423 posts

Posted March 19 2012 - 04:44 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Capitol Records is releasing the Beatles "Yellow Submarine" on May 29th. List price $24.49 currently up for order on Amazon

#2 of 102 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,592 posts

Posted March 19 2012 - 06:06 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 102 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,441 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted March 19 2012 - 06:09 AM

Now bring on Let it Be!

#4 of 102 Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,591 posts

Posted March 19 2012 - 07:51 PM

Is this still rumor or confirmed? I can't find it listed on Amazon, and the link above is dead. The Beatles website does not have it listed either.

Hopefully it won't be cropped like the DVD version was.

#5 of 102 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,592 posts

Posted March 19 2012 - 10:26 PM

Wow.  Looks like Amazon pulled it at the distributor's request.

Perhaps it wasn't meant to be announced this early?

I would suspect you will see an official announcement shortly

as no Beatles release goes without some sort of large fanfare

(which was missing here).

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#6 of 102 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,719 posts

Posted March 19 2012 - 11:14 PM

Beatles Examiner says the announcement should come today:

http://www.examiner....ellow-submarine

Also, on the author's facebook page, he says it's definitely coming.

#7 of 102 Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted March 20 2012 - 03:35 AM

I wonder what they will do with the soundtrack on this. I remember the DVD was kind of a big deal because it featured "The Beatles in 5.1". I'll be satisfied with the same mix in lossless.

Of course, the aspect ratio should be 1.66:1 and uncropped as already mentioned.  Posted Image

#8 of 102 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,719 posts

Posted March 20 2012 - 04:29 AM

The announcement, with many details:

http://www.examiner....blu-ray-reissue

#9 of 102 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,441 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted March 20 2012 - 04:37 AM

Amazon may have pulled the listing, but it is still showing up under my orders (ordered through the HTF link).

#10 of 102 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,990 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted March 20 2012 - 06:36 AM

TheBeatles.Com made the announcement today:

http://www.thebeatles.com/

Once upon a time…or maybe twice…there was an unearthly paradise called Pepperland…

The Beatles' classic 1968 animated feature film, Yellow Submarine, has been digitally restored for DVD and Blu-ray release on May 28 (May 29 in North America). The film's songtrack album will be reissued on CD on the same date.

Currently out of print, the film has been restored in 4K digital resolution - all done by hand, frame by frame.

John Lasseter, Chief Creative Officer, Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios writes "As a fan of animation and as a filmmaker, I tip my hat to the artists of Yellow Submarine, whose revolutionary work helped pave the way for the fantastically diverse world of animation that we all enjoy today."

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#11 of 102 Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,685 posts

Posted March 20 2012 - 02:27 PM

Woohoo! So excited!!! I absolutely adore this film. EDIT: This was my 1,600th post! Yay!
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#12 of 102 SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,398 posts

Posted March 20 2012 - 09:56 PM

Will we get the alternate footage that was replaced by "Hey Bulldog" this time? (As an extra if not seamless branching.) Not letting go of my Laserdisc anytime soon.

#13 of 102 vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted March 21 2012 - 05:09 AM

I wonder if they'll fix the audio. One major problem with the DVD was when they included the original 1968 mono mix, they, for some reason, had it switch to stereo at one point in the film, and back again.
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#14 of 102 darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted March 21 2012 - 11:09 AM

About time Yellow Submarine got it's debut on Blu-ray. If Capitol/EMI is releasing the Blu-ray and DVD this go around, does that mean MGM lost the rights for distribution?

#15 of 102 Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,141 posts

Posted March 21 2012 - 09:33 PM

About time Yellow Submarine got it's debut on Blu-ray. If Capitol/EMI is releasing the Blu-ray and DVD this go around, does that mean MGM lost the rights for distribution?

I suspect that is exactly what happened. If not, then they're essentially yielding them, since Apple controls the music and the intellectual property anyhow and MGM was not allowed to do any further repertory bookings or DVD repressings of the movie after the initial solicitation, so what good is owning a movie whose most exploitable elements are owned by others and won't let you do anything with it? I'm wondering if eventually, Miramax's license on A HARD DAYS' NIGHT will expire and that will get reissued though Capitol as well. Or for that matter, if we'll ever get those long-promised upgrades of MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR and LET IT BE.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#16 of 102 darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted March 22 2012 - 06:30 AM

[quote name="Mark Edward Heuck" url="/t/319424/yellow-submarine-1968-may-29th-from-capitol#post_3909451"] I suspect that is exactly what happened. If not, then they're essentially yielding them, since Apple controls the music and the intellectual property anyhow and MGM was not allowed to do any further repertory bookings or DVD repressings of the movie after the initial solicitation, so what good is owning a movie whose most exploitable elements are owned by others and won't let you do anything with it? Could I have that English?

#17 of 102 darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted March 22 2012 - 06:31 AM

I suspect that is exactly what happened. If not, then they're essentially yielding them, since Apple controls the music and the intellectual property anyhow and MGM was not allowed to do any further repertory bookings or DVD repressings of the movie after the initial solicitation, so what good is owning a movie whose most exploitable elements are owned by others and won't let you do anything with it? .

Could I have that in English?

#18 of 102 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,031 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 22 2012 - 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck 

I'm wondering if eventually, Miramax's license on A HARD DAYS' NIGHT will expire and that will get reissued though Capitol as well. Or for that matter, if we'll ever get those long-promised upgrades of MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR and LET IT BE.

At the very least, you'd think that their very good DVD of Help! from 2007 would be indicative of a Blu-ray upgrade being likely.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#19 of 102 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,355 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 22 2012 - 06:49 AM

Could I have that in English?

I took it to mean that he feels that MGM no longer has the rights to the movie. His alternate theory is that even if MGM still owned a piece of the movie, Apple owns the music and characters so without owning the music or having the rights to use it, the movie is useless to MGM and they sold whatever they did own to Apple.

#20 of 102 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,031 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 22 2012 - 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by TravisR 

I took it to mean that he feels that MGM no longer has the rights to the movie. His alternate theory is that even if MGM still owned a piece of the movie, Apple owns the music and characters so without owning the music or having the rights to use it, the movie is useless to MGM and they sold whatever they did own to Apple.

MGM could have also simply licensed their distribution rights to Apple for this one title. They have a licensing agreement with Criterion, for example.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users