-

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

Plan 9 From Outer Space Blu-Ray review

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

#41 of 70 OFFLINE   GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted March 20 2012 - 08:48 AM

Poor Ed Wood. His movies are bad enough without the added mistakes of open matte to deal with.

LOL. That is the best line of the day so far. ..And pretty much sums it up.

#42 of 70 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,476 posts

Posted March 20 2012 - 09:27 AM

Thanks Greg, awfully quiet in here lately. I hope the facts didn't burst too many bubbles! Bob

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#43 of 70 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,072 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted March 21 2012 - 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H 

Jack, is it just me, or is that the shadow of a boom mike @ the top of the first capture?

I don't have a screen capture of it, but a boom mike is clearly visible in the opening of Lyle Talbot's scene when Tom Keene enters the office.

Rich Gallagher

#44 of 70 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,476 posts

Posted March 21 2012 - 10:34 AM

I don't have a screen capture of it, but a boom mike is clearly visible in the opening of Lyle Talbot's scene when Tom Keene enters the office.

In an open matte transfer or the intended widescreen version? Bob

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#45 of 70 OFFLINE   Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore

Second Unit

• 337 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted March 21 2012 - 12:51 PM

Ed Wood and his movies provide an interesting problem. As a writer, Eddie certainly had some decent enough ideas. Look at JAIL BAIT. The actual plot of that movie is decent, and it's twist is fairly clever. The dialogue is horrible and so is the acting, however. The plot of PLAN NINE FROM OUTER SPACE isn't bad, either. What hurt these movies is the acting by and large. There seemed to be two types of actors in Wood's movies: those who could act and didn't really bother trying and those who couldn't act their way out of a wet and torn paper bag. The second group seemed to comprise of most of his friends like Dolores Fuller and Conrad Brooks. I saw both of them in a vampire movie shot in the mid-90s in NJ (THE IRONBOUND VAMPIRE) and yes, they were as lousy there as they were in Wood's movies. The first group, though, was guys like Lyle Talbot and Kenne Duncan--guys who demonstrably could give decent performances when they wanted to. Serials may not be on the same level of filmmaking as A Pictures, but Talbot and Duncan were usually pretty solid in their roles in them. Talbot was a fantastic Lex Luthor in ATOM MAN VS. SUPERMAN--maybe not Gene Hackman or Kevin Spacey, but a lot of fun all the same. And Duncan was good in almost any Republic serial you can find him in. But look at Duncan in THE SINISTER URGE. Not only does he not try, he clearly shows that he has no desire to even be in the movie. As for Talbot, he only ever puts forward a half-hearted effort in Wood's films. In fact, the only guy Wood ever got who really gave it his all was Bela Lugosi, which is why the Lugosi trio is so well-liked by fans of this sort of movie. Kinda like ROBOT MONSTER. Yes, there's incompetency left and right in that film, but the actors in it at least TRY, which is key to the fun of the movie. What does all this rambling have to do with this discussion of aspect ratios? Well, I'll tell ya. It seems to me that since the dialogue and the delivery of said dialogue, along with the awful special effects--poor Eddie just didn't have the budget even if he did have the imagination--were so bad that it seems quite natural that we'd see absurdities like boom mics and carboard steering wheels. Were the movies composed for 1:85? By 1959, I would certainly hope so. Should they be viewed that way? Probably, but then they might not seem as much fun. The argument about Hitchcock and boom mics seems valid, but here's the thing: we know Hitch was a good director. We've been told for over 30 years that Wood was the worst director of all time and the things I listed above have all contributed to that. Frankly, he wasn't. At the very least his movies--or at least those with Bela--are entertaining and he knew how to do something that is lost on other directors: when to end a scene. Perhaps the solution would be a widescreen/full frame version of his movies. Though yes, I wonder if putting the TV on wide or zoom would do the trick, too.

Viewing a 3D movie in 2D is kinda like viewing a Scope movie in Pan and Scan.

#46 of 70 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,476 posts

Posted March 21 2012 - 02:10 PM

Those are very good points, Todd. I find it interesting that some will proclaim Wood the Worst Director and they're citing open matte flaws which were never meant to be seen... Bob

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#47 of 70 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,072 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted March 21 2012 - 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek 

In an open matte transfer or the intended widescreen version?
Bob

In the Blu-ray transfer. I've never seen it in widescreen. Clearly, the mike would not be visible in widescreen.

Rich Gallagher

#48 of 70 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,222 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 22 2012 - 05:52 AM

Those are very good points, Todd.
I find it interesting that some will proclaim Wood the Worst Director and they're citing open matte flaws which were never meant to be seen...
Bob

I've seen TV shows and movies that were much better than this that had more egregious examples of boom mics and things like that.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#49 of 70 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,649 posts

Posted March 22 2012 - 05:55 AM

I plan on buying this soon. I really hope 'Bride Of The Monster' is released. It may be bad, but I think it is fantastic.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#50 of 70 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,476 posts

Posted March 22 2012 - 06:20 AM

Don't hold your breath. PLAN NINE was released to BR because of it's public domain status. BRIDE is fully owned by Wade Williams and he has zero interest in remastering any of his titles. For the record, BRIDE is composed for 1.85 as well. Bob

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#51 of 70 OFFLINE   KMR

KMR

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted March 22 2012 - 11:50 AM

It was very interesting to hear about the intended aspect ratio for Plan 9. So I popped in my Image DVD and hit the zoom button on my remote. Amazing! I skipped through several parts of the movie, and the framing always looked very appropriate. But to me it still doesn't detract from the sublime awfulness of the movie. The only thing missing now is the really surreal effect that the cockpit scene has in open matte. Thinking about the cockpit scene (and what we thought were bizarre props but are now understood to be something intended only to assist the actors and not show up on film) got me thinking about the film After Last Season by someone named Mark Region. It's almost like the open matte cockpit scene in Plan 9 could have been an inspiration not only for the production design of Region's film, but a study in the use of sets and props in film, and how they can affect the story and the audience's involvement in a film. Could be an interesting research project for somebody.

#52 of 70 OFFLINE   WinstonCely

WinstonCely

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted March 22 2012 - 12:10 PM

Kevin, I think that's just made me want to buy this release. I'll just watch it zoomed in... LOL!

#53 of 70 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,476 posts

Posted March 22 2012 - 12:44 PM

It was very interesting to hear about the intended aspect ratio for Plan 9. So I popped in my Image DVD and hit the zoom button on my remote. Amazing! I skipped through several parts of the movie, and the framing always looked very appropriate.

Well, there you go. I guess Ed Wood wasn't as incompetent as people thought! Bob

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#54 of 70 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Screenwriter

• 1,497 posts

Posted March 23 2012 - 05:33 AM

I tried to watch this one about twenty years ago. I wanted it to be so bad it was good. Or at least so bad it was camp. Instead it was just bad. And slow. And not funny--at least to me. I'd rate it 1 out of 5. Just a warning to those who might be lured in by the almost Galaxy Quest-ish cover. I recommend that big budget comedy classic over this one. Just my 2 cents. I know this has a big following--but newbies should keep their expectations quite low.

My thoughts exactly. So bad it was....boring. It's the kind of movie that seems hilarious when you watch it as a college student while smoking pot when you giggle at everything. In more sober times, not so much.

#55 of 70 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,476 posts

Posted March 23 2012 - 06:43 AM

If I'm in the mood for Ed Wood, BRIDE OF THE MONSTER is my favorite. Bela and Tor are just wonderful in that one. I used to have a 35mm print and it looked great in widescreen! Bob

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#56 of 70 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 900 posts

Posted March 23 2012 - 08:19 AM

Ed Wood could be a very good filmmaker -- technically, not necessarily, but he knew how to entertain! Some of his movies are boring, but others are tremendously engaging and entertaining. Btw, Chicago PBS is to blame for me seeing my first Wood movie late one night years back, GLEN OR GLENDA. PBS really is so subversive, heh heh...

#57 of 70 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,222 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 23 2012 - 12:42 PM

If I'm in the mood for Ed Wood, BRIDE OF THE MONSTER is my favorite. Bela and Tor are just wonderful in that one.
I used to have a 35mm print and it looked great in widescreen!
Bob

I take it he's the one who has the earliest film elements on Wood's films, or am I wrong?

What is known to exist on his features in terms of pre-print elements? I remember that of the Image DVDs, Glen or Glenda looked worse than the rest.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#58 of 70 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,476 posts

Posted March 23 2012 - 12:58 PM

Wade Williams has some early elements but he does not like to spend money. He's perfectly content recycling 20+ year old transfers! Bob

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#59 of 70 OFFLINE   John Weller

John Weller

Stunt Coordinator

• 175 posts

Posted May 27 2012 - 01:53 AM

It's rather ironic that none of Wood's main films have got decent dvds. Glen Or Glenda cut, Jail Bait and Bride Of The Monster cropped, Plan 9 and Night Of The Ghouls open matte... Mind you, isn't Wade Williams reputed to be a pain regarding restoration. There's some awful splices in his Detour that obliterate the dialogue! And of course, don't get me started on Rocketship X-M...

#60 of 70 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,476 posts

Posted May 27 2012 - 05:55 AM

I offered to fund full restorations of his 3-D titles (Robot Monster, Cat Women of the Moon, Hannah Lee) and he rejected our offer. He's had 35mm elements on these 3-D films for nearly 30 years and has never even bothered to inspect him. What does that tell you about his interest in preservation?

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com