Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

Plan 9 From Outer Space Blu-Ray review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   John Weller

John Weller

Stunt Coordinator

• 175 posts

Posted May 27 2012 - 01:53 AM

It's rather ironic that none of Wood's main films have got decent dvds. Glen Or Glenda cut, Jail Bait and Bride Of The Monster cropped, Plan 9 and Night Of The Ghouls open matte... Mind you, isn't Wade Williams reputed to be a pain regarding restoration. There's some awful splices in his Detour that obliterate the dialogue! And of course, don't get me started on Rocketship X-M...

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,669 posts

Posted May 27 2012 - 05:55 AM

I offered to fund full restorations of his 3-D titles (Robot Monster, Cat Women of the Moon, Hannah Lee) and he rejected our offer. He's had 35mm elements on these 3-D films for nearly 30 years and has never even bothered to inspect him. What does that tell you about his interest in preservation?

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   John Weller

John Weller

Stunt Coordinator

• 175 posts

Posted May 27 2012 - 06:53 AM

I remember reading something by David Kalat about Williams refusing to collaborate on a Detour restoration. That said, did Legend license Plan 9 from Williams? I don't recall seeing his name on the packaging.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,669 posts

Posted May 27 2012 - 06:54 AM

No, apparently they challenged his "copyright" and found it to be bogus.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#5 of 12 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,269 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted May 27 2012 - 06:59 AM

I'm not up on who Wade Williams is, but this is really sad to hear.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted May 27 2012 - 08:49 AM

I take it he's the one who has the earliest film elements on Wood's films, or am I wrong? What is known to exist on his features in terms of pre-print elements? I remember that of the Image DVDs, Glen or Glenda looked worse than the rest.

In the case of GLEN OR GLENDA, I think what happened is that after the Medved-fueled revival of PLAN 9 in the '80's, with prodding from Warren Beatty (!), Paramount attempted doing a revival of the film, but never took it past a short NY opening. So they have a pristine negative of the film, but Williams had an older print that he could claim PD status on to service to the labels that were making package deals on his Ed Wood films.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   John Weller

John Weller

Stunt Coordinator

• 175 posts

Posted June 15 2012 - 05:34 PM

In the case of GLEN OR GLENDA, I think what happened is that after the Medved-fueled revival of PLAN 9 in the '80's, with prodding from Warren Beatty (!), Paramount attempted doing a revival of the film, but never took it past a short NY opening. So they have a pristine negative of the film, but Williams had an older print that he could claim PD status on to service to the labels that were making package deals on his Ed Wood films.

On Williams dvd, he's clearly spliced in the 70's/80s title card (with the "25th anniversary" subtitle blurred out) onto his edited print.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   moviepas

moviepas

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted June 15 2012 - 09:55 PM

Wade Williams is a guy who has had rare prints(one-of-a-kind type) that he refuses to give or whatever to the original producers who have lost their prints etc. One comes to mind being the Alice Faye 365 Nights in Hollywood made by Fox. I do have a poor DVD that came thru him of that film.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,859 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 16 2012 - 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek 

I find it interesting that some will proclaim Wood the Worst Director and they're citing open matte flaws which were never meant to be seen...
Bob

The open matte availability of Mr. Wood's films only acerbated and enhanced his reputation over time.  Perhaps we would have a different view of his abiltites as a director if we saw the films in the OAR.  On second thought, don't think so.  Posted Image

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,372 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 16 2012 - 07:47 AM

Wade Williams has always been bogus - how can HE have a copyright? HE is not the filmmaker or the producers and he didn't purchase a copyright from them. But he did get lots of prints and talked really loud and it was easier for folks to license from him than endure the loud talking and threatening. The first person who finally challenged him found out the truth quickly and easily.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   John Weller

John Weller

Stunt Coordinator

• 175 posts

Posted June 16 2012 - 08:43 AM

The open matte availability of Mr. Wood's films only acerbated and enhanced his reputation over time.  Perhaps we would have a different view of his abiltites as a director if we saw the films in the OAR.  On second thought, don't think so.  :)

I think it helps the films in their pacing and effect - but on the other hand, Plan 9 in open matte has a weird effect of desolate theatre that is lost in the correct ratio.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,262 posts

Posted June 17 2012 - 04:04 PM

Don't hold your breath. PLAN NINE was released to BR because of it's public domain status. BRIDE is fully owned by Wade Williams and he has zero interest in remastering any of his titles. Bob

If that is true, I guess my hopes of seeing a proper 1.33 remaster of INVADERS FROM MARS (1953) with restored color will be dashed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users