What's new

COONSKIN (1975) hits legit DVD at last, courtesy of Xenon! (1 Viewer)

Jon Baker

Second Unit
Does anyone else think the film looks like it was cropped? It seems that some of the animation is cut off at the top and bottom as if this was originally full screen and it was cropped to look widescreen. Has anyone else noticed this?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I didn't notice it it, it looked all right to me. I watched it on Sunday and loved how good it looked and sounded. There is a chance that this was open matte on VHS and now it's cropped proper.

It's hard to say, it's a typical Bakshi mess of a movie, and I mean that with all the love in the world. :)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
I think it was actually Orion that WHV had the deal with. Filmways and AIP were, of course, subsumed under Orion in the early '80s.

Louis Letizia said:
They "were" on WB VHS when Warner had a deal with American International *Island of Dr. Moreau,Meteor , Love at First Bite and others were all in WB clamshells before MGM got control of the AIP library.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg /t/319383/coonskin-1975-hits-legit-dvd-at-last-courtesy-of-xenon#post_3917426
I think it was actually Orion that WHV had the deal with. Filmways and AIP were, of course, subsumed under Orion in the early '80s.
Filmways purchased AIP in 1979 and it was just one of many companies they acquired. Of course, Filmways made it's money from producing hit TV shows, such as Mr. Ed, Green Acres, The Beverly Hillbillies, The Adams Family and Petticoat Junction. Filmways wanted to get into the film business and used the purchase of AIP was a way to that goal Since Filmways did not have great distribution unit set up and most of AIP distribution outlets were just local independents, they made a deal for WB to distribute until they could get set up. AIP first distributed METEOR then after the sale, WB handled the remaining few markets as they did for some other titles, but it was just a theatrical agreement. In 1981 Filmways fell into debt and filed chapter 10 during which they unloaded their publishing companies and a game show production company. In 1982 Orion, who wanted to do their own distribution after being disappointed with their Warner Brothers deal, purchased Filmways assets. Orion had control of the AIP/Filmways product until 1998 when it was sold to MGM. They also had a deal in place for the first three or four years to let Warners release any of their home entertainment product. Orion's purchase price for Filmways was less than 30 million. A steal with all those AIP titles IMHO.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Thanks, Allen. I knew that AIP was digested by Filmways, which was, in turn, digested by Orion (newly freed from WB). Didn't realize the Filmways / AIP video deal with WHV was separate from Orion.
ahollis said:
Filmways purchased AIP in 1979 and it was just one of many companies they acquired.  Of course, Filmways made it's money from producing hit TV shows, such as Mr. Ed, Green Acres, The Beverly Hillbillies, The Adams Family and Petticoat Junction.  Filmways wanted to get into the film business and used the purchase of AIP was a way to that goal  Since Filmways did not have great distribution unit set up and most of AIP distribution outlets were just local independents, they made a deal for WB to distribute until they could get set up. AIP first distributed METEOR then after the sale, WB handled the remaining few markets as they did for some other titles, but it was just a theatrical agreement.  In 1981 Filmways fell into debt and filed chapter 10 during which they unloaded their publishing companies and a game show production company.  In 1982 Orion, who wanted to do their own distribution after being disappointed with their Warner Brothers deal, purchased Filmways assets.  Orion had control of the AIP/Filmways product until 1998 when it was sold to MGM.  They also had a deal in place for the first three or four years to let Warners release any of their home entertainment product.  Orion's purchase price for Filmways was less than 30 million.  A steal with all those AIP titles IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks