What's new

Criterion Press Release: The 39 Steps (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Does anyone know when the Barnes and Noble sale will start? I will be getting at least this, Gold Rush, and Anatomy of a Murder. Also, could someone please tell me which Hitchcock's Criterion will be doing on Blu-ray.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Robert Kilbride said:
Does anyone know when the Barnes and Noble sale will start? I will be getting at least this, Gold Rush, and Anatomy of a Murder. Also, could someone please tell me which Hitchcock's Criterion will be doing on Blu-ray.
They've already done "The Lady Vanishes" on blu-ray, and the sale for Barnes & Noble begins sometime in July, so you have more than a month to prepare your savings for whatever you decide to order by then...good hunting!!!:D

One more month to go before we get this, I wish it was sooner. Im definitely in for Foreign Correspondent too. I hope more from the Hitchcock set get Blu Ray treatments as well, as time marches on

Ratko Mladic

BANNED
@ david steigman
Where did you here that about Foreign Correspondent being licensed by Criterion?Just a rumour on the street or...?It's a WB title,so i still doubt it will happen.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Ratko Mladic said:
@ david steigman
Where did you here that about Foreign Correspondent being licensed by Criterion?Just a rumour on the street or...?It's a WB title,so i still doubt it will happen.
FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT actually belongs to the Caidin Trust, administered by Westchester Films (formerly Castle Hill). They did previously have a licensing deal with WB, but that has since expired. Criterion has already picked up STAGECOACH from them, so it makes perfect sense that this is forthcoming as well.
Other titles owned by the Caidin Trust that we could see as Criterion releases (one hopes anyway) are Rene Clair's I MARRIED A WITCH and Ernst Lubitsch's TO BE OR NOT TO BE.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It seems as if there were one of their newsletter cartoons a few months back that suggested Foreign Correspondent as a coming attraction.

Ratko Mladic

BANNED
Ahhh,good to hear that folks.Thx for clarification!
One more question (it's a bit off topic,i know):What's the current status of Kazan's America America and Baby Doll?Are these two still with WB?Maybe Criterion could licence both...

Derrick King

Screenwriter
FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT, I MARRIED A WITCH, TO BE OR NOT TO BE, BREAKER MORANT, HISTORY IS MADE AT NIGHT, and THE LONG VOYAGE HOME are up on Criterion's Hulu channel, so I suspect that they'll eventually get released.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Mark Edward Heuck said:
FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT actually belongs to the Caidin Trust, administered by Westchester Films (formerly Castle Hill). They did previously have a licensing deal with WB, but that has since expired. Criterion has already picked up STAGECOACH from them, so it makes perfect sense that this is forthcoming as well.
Other titles owned by the Caidin Trust that we could see as Criterion releases (one hopes anyway) are Rene Clair's I MARRIED A WITCH and Ernst Lubitsch's TO BE OR NOT TO BE.
TCM recently showed this in HD and it looked very good indeed. The opening only showed Caiden Trust and no WB or Criterion logos. If it's WB then hopefully we'll see a box set soon.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
^ it wasnt HD TCM doesn't air anything in actual HD yet.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
i'm in for I MARRIED A WITCH, whenever it shows up!!
i wish criterion would get their hands on ALGIERS ('38)..... i would LOVE to see a restored transfer of that film!!

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Jeff Newcomb said:
I don't see anything in those posts to indicate that TCM is actually broadcasting high-def transfers.
It seemed to me that they are broadcasting 1080i. I have seen transfers that look crappy and blurry on there, so I'm guessing that when I see a stellar looking crisp print from a 1940 film that looks better than my upconverted DVD that it's HD. I may be wrong but I don't want to hijack this thread with the discussion.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Ratko Mladic /t/319326/criterion-press-release-the-39-steps-blu-ray#post_3927647
One more question (it's a bit off topic,i know):What's the current status of Kazan's America America and Baby Doll?Are these two still with WB?Maybe Criterion could licence both...

The Kazan films are Castle Hill / Kazan Estate, so that's a different licensing agreement with Warner, which I believe Warner still has in force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks