Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: The 39 Steps (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted May 19 2012 - 09:20 PM

Does anyone know when the Barnes and Noble sale will start? I will be getting at least this, Gold Rush, and Anatomy of a Murder. Also, could someone please tell me which Hitchcock's Criterion will be doing on Blu-ray.

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,372 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted May 19 2012 - 09:41 PM

Does anyone know when the Barnes and Noble sale will start? I will be getting at least this, Gold Rush, and Anatomy of a Murder. Also, could someone please tell me which Hitchcock's Criterion will be doing on Blu-ray.
They've already done "The Lady Vanishes" on blu-ray, and the sale for Barnes & Noble begins sometime in July, so you have more than a month to prepare your savings for whatever you decide to order by then...good hunting!!!:D

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,802 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 20 2012 - 04:31 AM

Also, Foreign Correspondent has been licensed by Criterion but there's no release date for it yet.

#4 of 17 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted May 20 2012 - 05:24 AM

One more month to go before we get this, I wish it was sooner. Im definitely in for Foreign Correspondent too. I hope more from the Hitchcock set get Blu Ray treatments as well, as time marches on

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Ratko Mladic

Ratko Mladic

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted May 20 2012 - 11:23 AM

@ david steigman Where did you here that about Foreign Correspondent being licensed by Criterion?Just a rumour on the street or...?It's a WB title,so i still doubt it will happen.

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,158 posts

Posted May 20 2012 - 12:18 PM

@ david steigman Where did you here that about Foreign Correspondent being licensed by Criterion?Just a rumour on the street or...?It's a WB title,so i still doubt it will happen.
FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT actually belongs to the Caidin Trust, administered by Westchester Films (formerly Castle Hill). They did previously have a licensing deal with WB, but that has since expired. Criterion has already picked up STAGECOACH from them, so it makes perfect sense that this is forthcoming as well. Other titles owned by the Caidin Trust that we could see as Criterion releases (one hopes anyway) are Rene Clair's I MARRIED A WITCH and Ernst Lubitsch's TO BE OR NOT TO BE.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,170 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 20 2012 - 01:21 PM

It seems as if there were one of their newsletter cartoons a few months back that suggested Foreign Correspondent as a coming attraction.

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Ratko Mladic

Ratko Mladic

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted May 20 2012 - 01:50 PM

Ahhh,good to hear that folks.Thx for clarification! One more question (it's a bit off topic,i know):What's the current status of Kazan's America America and Baby Doll?Are these two still with WB?Maybe Criterion could licence both...

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted May 20 2012 - 02:44 PM

FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT, I MARRIED A WITCH, TO BE OR NOT TO BE, BREAKER MORANT, HISTORY IS MADE AT NIGHT, and THE LONG VOYAGE HOME are up on Criterion's Hulu channel, so I suspect that they'll eventually get released.

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor

• 513 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa CA

Posted May 20 2012 - 02:46 PM

FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT actually belongs to the Caidin Trust, administered by Westchester Films (formerly Castle Hill). They did previously have a licensing deal with WB, but that has since expired. Criterion has already picked up STAGECOACH from them, so it makes perfect sense that this is forthcoming as well. Other titles owned by the Caidin Trust that we could see as Criterion releases (one hopes anyway) are Rene Clair's I MARRIED A WITCH and Ernst Lubitsch's TO BE OR NOT TO BE.
TCM recently showed this in HD and it looked very good indeed. The opening only showed Caiden Trust and no WB or Criterion logos. If it's WB then hopefully we'll see a box set soon.

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,408 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 20 2012 - 04:26 PM

^ it wasnt HD TCM doesn't air anything in actual HD yet.
facebook.com/whotony

#12 of 17 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted May 20 2012 - 09:03 PM

I didnt hear it, I read about it from Travis in his post right above mine :)

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   marcco00

marcco00

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted May 20 2012 - 10:00 PM

i'm in for I MARRIED A WITCH, whenever it shows up!! i wish criterion would get their hands on ALGIERS ('38)..... i would LOVE to see a restored transfer of that film!!

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,802 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 21 2012 - 04:07 AM

I didnt hear it, I read about it from Travis in his post right above mine :)
Never listen to that guy. :D

#15 of 17 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted May 21 2012 - 06:07 AM

What ?? I didnt hear you:D

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor

• 513 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa CA

Posted May 21 2012 - 02:25 PM

^ it wasnt HD TCM doesn't air anything in actual HD yet.

Read these posts on their website and say that again.

http://forums.tcm.co...tart=0&tstart=0

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted May 21 2012 - 05:15 PM

Read these posts on their website and say that again.
http://forums.tcm.co...tart=0&tstart=0
I don't see anything in those posts to indicate that TCM is actually broadcasting high-def transfers.

#18 of 17 OFFLINE   mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor

• 513 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa CA

Posted May 21 2012 - 06:15 PM

I don't see anything in those posts to indicate that TCM is actually broadcasting high-def transfers.
It seemed to me that they are broadcasting 1080i. I have seen transfers that look crappy and blurry on there, so I'm guessing that when I see a stellar looking crisp print from a 1940 film that looks better than my upconverted DVD that it's HD. I may be wrong but I don't want to hijack this thread with the discussion.

#19 of 17 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,455 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 21 2012 - 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratko Mladic /t/319326/criterion-press-release-the-39-steps-blu-ray#post_3927647 One more question (it's a bit off topic,i know):What's the current status of Kazan's America America and Baby Doll?Are these two still with WB?Maybe Criterion could licence both...
  The Kazan films are Castle Hill / Kazan Estate, so that's a different licensing agreement with Warner, which I believe Warner still has in force.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users