Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment will release more than 30 catalog titles on Blu-ray Disc in 2012

Disney

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#21 of 221 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,467 posts

Posted March 16 2012 - 05:37 AM

This summer the studio will release Father of the Bride and Bringing Down the House May 15; The Color of Money, Cocktail and Ransom June 5; Sister Act and Evita June 19; and The Horse Whisperer, Under the Tuscan Sun, Phenomenon, Step Up, Home On The Range and Treasure Planet July 3. This fall will see Adventures in Babysitting, Grosse Pointe Blank, Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion, The Rescuers, High Fidelity, Ed Wood, Judge Dredd, Ghost of the Abyss 3D, Lady And The Tramp 2: Scamp’s Adventure, Pocahontas, The Tigger Movie, The Aristocats and Pete’s Dragon. Beginning in October Disney will release Hocus Pocus, Arachnophobia, The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, Son of Flubber, Cold Creek Manor, The Santa Clause Trilogy, The Absent-Minded Professor, Flubber, While You Were Sleeping, Sweet Home Alabama, Beaches, Babes in Toyland, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Brother Bear and Dick Tracy. I'm definitely in for the highlighted features, esp Grosse Point Blank, Ed Wood, and Dick Tracy. but where are the other great ones, like the aforementioned Mary Poppins, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and add in The Adventures of Davy Crockett and The Scarecrow of Rodney Marsh, to name just a few?
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#22 of 221 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,031 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 16 2012 - 05:43 AM

Again, regarding 20,000 Leagues, it's currently undergoing a restoration. We won't (and really shouldn't) see a Blu-ray release until that's finished.

And they wouldn't announce 20k or Mary Poppins as part of a group announcement like this anyway. They are far too big of titles to do so.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#23 of 221 Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,160 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted March 16 2012 - 05:44 AM

I think it is great that some of these lesser catalogue titles are being released by Disney, and were not licensed to Mill Creek.

#24 of 221 Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted March 16 2012 - 06:00 AM

Yawn. Bring on the real Disney catalogue titles.

#25 of 221 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,352 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 16 2012 - 06:05 AM

I'll definitely be picking up Ed Wood.

#26 of 221 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,975 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 16 2012 - 06:15 AM

Definitely some exciting news there, considering how shoddily some of these films were treated on DVD with non-anamorphic or MAR transfers. I understand the frustration of the paucity of Walt-era titles and the emphasis on Touchstone films, but a lot of them probably need restoration work. Some of them are obvious tie-ins to revivals (Evita) and stage versions (Sister Act), and some movies have anniversaries (Pete's Dragon and The Rescuers both turn 35 this year). Still, it's an effort to get catalog titles out, and I hope they get treated better on Blu-ray than a lot of them got treated on DVD.

Put me down for Pete's Dragon, The RescuersThe AristocatsThe Absent-Minded ProfessorSon of Flubber (why aren't those in a double feature?), Ed WoodSister ActEvita and Hocus Pocus. I may even buy Beaches if only for "the Ballad of Otto Titsling." Posted Image

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#27 of 221 Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Second Unit

• 431 posts

Posted March 16 2012 - 06:18 AM

Great news! HORSE WHISPERER--UNDER TUSCAN SUN --EVITA

Agree with these titles. The Horse Whisperer's DVD is terrible and does not conform to the 2 different aspect ratios as shown in theaters. Hope the upcoming Blu has this feature...

#28 of 221 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,070 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted March 16 2012 - 06:30 AM

For all of you squawking about Mary Poppins not being part of this list, it was mentioned here that they are planning to release it in 2014 for it 50th anniversary. FINALLY we get a few Wall-era live-action movies. Maybe not the cream of the crop, but it's something. I'm definitely excited about Son of Flubber which has always been full-frame and cropped on all previous releases.

#29 of 221 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,336 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted March 16 2012 - 06:48 AM

For all of you squawking about Mary Poppins not being part of this list, it was mentioned here that they are planning to release it in 2014 for it 50th anniversary. FINALLY we get a few Wall-era live-action movies. Maybe not the cream of the crop, but it's something. I'm definitely excited about Son of Flubber which has always been full-frame and cropped on all previous releases.

Same here. I'm not worried about Poppins. It'll come when the time is right. I'm thrilled about the Flubber movies. More Walt-era films on BluRay!

#30 of 221 MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific Railroad.

• 561 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted March 16 2012 - 06:55 AM

Words can't describe how happy I am about GROSSE POINTE BLANK and HIGH FIDELITY. HDNet has started airing BLANK recently, and I was just wondering (hoping) that this meant a Blu-ray might be on the way...

#31 of 221 trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 570 posts

Posted March 16 2012 - 08:01 AM

Would like to have seen BELOVED on that list.

#32 of 221 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,441 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted March 16 2012 - 08:46 AM

Sign me up for several...most excited about Grosse Pointe Blank.

#33 of 221 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,328 posts

Posted March 16 2012 - 03:35 PM

Why are people complaining about titles that are not on the list? Did you expect Disney to release the entirety of its back catalog in one go?

#34 of 221 benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,817 posts

Posted March 17 2012 - 07:14 AM

Why are people complaining about titles that are not on the list? Did you expect Disney to release the entirety of its back catalog in one go?

You're right. I suppose we should celebrate what we have....But, six years into the format it seems like Disney should have gotten around to what some think is the greatest live action movie they made when Walt himself was still alive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhyuey4xU3Q

#35 of 221 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,591 posts

Posted March 17 2012 - 07:36 AM

I do agree that Disney has been very slow in getting out their

prized live-action library to Blu-ray.

On the other hand....

They have done a tremendous job getting their prized animated

titles out.  They have also been one of the most active supporters

of the 3D format, releasing some of the best 3D titles of any other

studio.  Their 3D releases are hard to beat in terms of presentation

quality.

Disney has done a fantastic job supporting Blu-ray -- you can't

argue that.

Other than Pete's Dragon, there is nothing in this list that really

excites me.  I do agree that stuff like Mary Poppins and 20,000

Leagues will probably not be lumped into this list.  In other words,

I am hoping we will be surprised by an announcement sooner than

later.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#36 of 221 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted March 17 2012 - 07:53 AM

I do agree that Disney has been very slow in getting out their prized live-action library to Blu-ray. On the other hand.... They have done a tremendous job getting their prized animated titles out.  They have also been one of the most active supporters of the 3D format, releasing some of the best 3D titles of any other studio.  Their 3D releases are hard to beat in terms of presentation quality. Disney has done a fantastic job supporting Blu-ray -- you can't argue that. Other than Pete's Dragon, there is nothing in this list that really excites me.  I do agree that stuff like Mary Poppins and 20,000 Leagues will probably not be lumped into this list.  In other words, I am hoping we will be surprised by an announcement sooner than later.

It would be nice if they would alternate a classic live action film with the animated ones now and then, rather than just the latter.

#37 of 221 benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,817 posts

Posted March 17 2012 - 07:57 AM

I guess that's what bugs me. Their animated films sell in the hundreds of thousands or millions of copies on blu-ray at premium prices. In other words, those titles are guaranteed to be profitable no matter how much they spend on restoring them and recoloring them for blu-ray. But when it comes to a title that's more iffy in terms of sales, like 20,000 Leagues, they seemingly haven't gotten around to it yet. 250 million for John Carter? Sure. But half a million for 20,000 leagues, not yet seemingly....

#38 of 221 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,272 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted March 17 2012 - 08:10 AM

I wonder if 20,000 Leagues will be released in 2014 for its 60th anniversary. If they're doing a load of work on it, it may not be ready 'till next year anyway, so they can sit on it for a year. I have happy memories of seeing Babes In Toyland, but being 61 I've probably outgrown it. I like Judge Dredd, I wonder if the new version will as good.

#39 of 221 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted March 17 2012 - 08:51 AM

It will be nice to finally see Babes in Toyland in widescreen.

#40 of 221 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,045 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 17 2012 - 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by John Hermes 
It would be nice if they would alternate a classic live action film with the animated ones now and then, rather than just the latter.

EXACTLY.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users