What's new

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment will release more than 30 catalog titles on Blu-ray Disc in 2 (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It's a nice eclectic list of titles throughout the year, but it still doesn't give us the 1950s classics many of us want. Still, I'm not going to complain too loudly.

(But really - Babes in Toyland before 20,000 Leagues, Old Yeller, or Treasure Island? Argh!)

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
Disappointed in the lack of classic titles here, but pleasantly surprised to see a number of the less popular, non-platinum, animated films make the cut (Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear and Home on the Range).
Including the previously announced animated slate for 2012—and ignoring direct-to-DVD sequels—this brings the total to 9 additional Disney animated films for release in 2012. Very happy about this.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I know it doesn't dig as deeply into Disney's catalog as some would like, but I'm really excited about that list. Dick Tracy, in particular, should look great in HD.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I hope the lack of titles such as 20,000 Leagues and Mary Poppins means that they will be accorded the deluxe treatment they deserve and will come out as major event releases.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
That's not a bad list of titles. It's just that around here, we read a phrase like "more than 30 catalog titles" and immediately envision something quite different. Especially when the announcement is coming from Disney.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
there is a good solid 10-15 in that list i could go after, but like the rest, was looking for Mary Poppins or 20000 Leagues

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I'm only interested in the era the Mr. Disney himself oversaw. Titles such as The Absent Minded Professor and Son of Flubber are musts, some of the rest like The Rescuers also hold interest for me. A lot of the later titles should do well, however, as there are some solid hits in there. 20,000 Leagues and Poppins deserve the box set treatment when the time is right.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I am thrilled to be finally able to retire the terrible DVD of Grosse Pointe Blank, one of my favorite movies. And Ed Wood is a must buy, too. I'll probably pick up Treasure Planet as well.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by cafink /t/319317/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment-will-release-more-than-30-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-in-2012#post_3907459
I know it doesn't dig as deeply into Disney's catalog as some would like, but I'm really excited about that list. Dick Tracy, in particular, should look great in HD.
and if this is done corectly, my eyes will hurt, the use of primary colors was such a part of this, that this could be a reference disc

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Re: lack of 20k and Mary Poppins - these are 'A' list titles that would be announced individually, just like their 'A' list animation Diamond titles. I would never expect them to announce them in a group catalog announcement like this. You'll notice they don't mention the upcoming Cinderella, for instance.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Not terribly impressed with this initial offering. Judge Dredd, anyone?
OTOH, I'm glad that Disney is releasing these on Blu-ray as opposed to MOD, where they likely would've ended up if it were another studio. Everyone seems surprised by this announcement - has Disney had a lousy track record releasing catalog titles? (I haven't been really keeping track). As far as the classic films, I'm sure the studio has separate (and bigger) plans for those.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Disney has been very, very selective and very limited in their non-A-list catalog so far. I believe these 30 titles will practically double their output in that regard (not counting the Mill Creek licensed titles).

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by elDomenechHTF /t/319317/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment-will-release-more-than-30-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-in-2012#post_3907501
Judge Dredd, anyone?
Taking advantage of the the free cross promotion from the new film Dredd coming out from Lionsgate theatrically in September.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks