-

Photo
- - - - -

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment will release more than 30 catalog titles on Blu-ray Disc in 2012

Disney

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#1 of 221 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,590 posts

Posted March 16 2012 - 02:28 AM

From our friends at Home Media Magazine

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 221 benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,831 posts

Posted March 16 2012 - 03:14 AM

Where the heck is 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?
  • Cinescott likes this

#3 of 221 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,036 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 16 2012 - 03:18 AM

It's a nice eclectic list of titles throughout the year, but it still doesn't give us the 1950s classics many of us want. Still, I'm not going to complain too loudly.

(But really - Babes in Toyland before 20,000 Leagues, Old Yeller, or Treasure Island? Argh!)

#4 of 221 Tim Gerdes

Tim Gerdes

Stunt Coordinator

• 249 posts

Posted March 16 2012 - 03:26 AM

Disappointed in the lack of classic titles here, but pleasantly surprised to see a number of the less popular, non-platinum, animated films make the cut (Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear and Home on the Range). Including the previously announced animated slate for 2012—and ignoring direct-to-DVD sequels—this brings the total to 9 additional Disney animated films for release in 2012. Very happy about this.

#5 of 221 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,034 posts

Posted March 16 2012 - 03:26 AM

I know it doesn't dig as deeply into Disney's catalog as some would like, but I'm really excited about that list. Dick Tracy, in particular, should look great in HD.

#6 of 221 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted March 16 2012 - 03:33 AM

I hope the lack of titles such as 20,000 Leagues and Mary Poppins means that they will be accorded the deluxe treatment they deserve and will come out as major event releases.

#7 of 221 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,159 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 16 2012 - 03:34 AM

That's not a bad list of titles.  It's just that around here, we read a phrase like "more than 30 catalog titles" and immediately envision something quite different.  Especially when the announcement is coming from Disney.

#8 of 221 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,863 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 16 2012 - 03:55 AM

there is a good solid 10-15 in that list i could go after, but like the rest, was looking for Mary Poppins or 20000 Leagues

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#9 of 221 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted March 16 2012 - 04:04 AM

I'm only interested in the era the Mr. Disney himself oversaw. Titles such as The Absent Minded Professor and Son of Flubber are musts, some of the rest like The Rescuers also hold interest for me. A lot of the later titles should do well, however, as there are some solid hits in there. 20,000 Leagues and Poppins deserve the box set treatment when the time is right.

#10 of 221 Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted March 16 2012 - 04:06 AM

Romy and Michelle!

#11 of 221 Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,088 posts

Posted March 16 2012 - 04:10 AM

Grosse Pointe Blank! High Fidelity! Ed Wood! YES! (now to get Lionsgate to release Beautiful Girls)

#12 of 221 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,144 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 16 2012 - 04:23 AM

I am thrilled to be finally able to retire the terrible DVD of Grosse Pointe Blank, one of my favorite movies. And Ed Wood is a must buy, too. I'll probably pick up Treasure Planet as well.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#13 of 221 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,863 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 16 2012 - 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by cafink 

I know it doesn't dig as deeply into Disney's catalog as some would like, but I'm really excited about that list. Dick Tracy, in particular, should look great in HD.

and if this is done corectly, my eyes will hurt, the use of primary colors was such a part of this, that this could be a reference disc

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#14 of 221 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,612 posts

Posted March 16 2012 - 05:03 AM

Romy and Michelle!

YES!! But I also want more "classic" Disney titles, not just 80's, and 90's titles.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#15 of 221 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,144 posts

Posted March 16 2012 - 05:08 AM

Re: lack of 20k and Mary Poppins - these are 'A' list titles that would be announced individually, just like their 'A' list animation Diamond titles. I would never expect them to announce them in a group catalog announcement like this. You'll notice they don't mention the upcoming Cinderella, for instance.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#16 of 221 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,862 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted March 16 2012 - 05:09 AM

Not terribly impressed with this initial offering. Judge Dredd, anyone? OTOH, I'm glad that Disney is releasing these on Blu-ray as opposed to MOD, where they likely would've ended up if it were another studio. Everyone seems surprised by this announcement - has Disney had a lousy track record releasing catalog titles? (I haven't been really keeping track). As far as the classic films, I'm sure the studio has separate (and bigger) plans for those.

#17 of 221 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,144 posts

Posted March 16 2012 - 05:14 AM

Disney has been very, very selective and very limited in their non-A-list catalog so far. I believe these 30 titles will practically double their output in that regard (not counting the Mill Creek licensed titles).

#18 of 221 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,144 posts

Posted March 16 2012 - 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by elDomenechHTF 

Judge Dredd, anyone?

Taking advantage of the the free cross promotion from the new film Dredd coming out from Lionsgate theatrically in September.

#19 of 221 trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 701 posts

Posted March 16 2012 - 05:32 AM

Great news! HORSE WHISPERER--UNDER TUSCAN SUN --EVITA

#20 of 221 Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 832 posts

Posted March 16 2012 - 05:35 AM

Dick Tracy will be a day 1 purchase. Now if we can some cool extras... :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users