-

Photo

A Golden Harvest of 80s films

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts

Posted March 16 2012 - 12:33 AM

Without knowing for sure it seams that Asian production company Golden Harvest has inked a deal with the Hens Tooth DVD line that includes some cool 70s/80s movies released theatrically by major studios here. The first sign of this was the release a coupla years ago on DVD (now oa great Blu) of Columbias 1978 The Boys in Company C. on a features filled Hens Tooth disc.I felt it kind of odd , but thought Columbia (which released it on VHS) might have made a deal to unload some of their product as they did with Image. In April we are getting from Hens Tooth (as previously stated on this board prior to me) , the long awaited High Road to China-another Golden Harvest production like COMPANY C. They are also releasing Tom Selleck's 1984 WB film -Lassiter the same month, another film I was waiting for. I'm happy about this because Hens Tooth has been dong good work on a number of films that fell in between the cracks. Scent of a Woman (1976) , The Chosen (1981) , Savannah Smiles as well as the 70s Pippi Longstocking movies and the 1976 anmated Jack and the Beanstalk are all favorites among many and in some cases Hens Tooth was very generous with the extras. Everyone talks of Shout!, Anchor Bay-and so do I , but Hens Tooth is a true sleeper among them. I'm assuming that WBs two other 1983 films -Better Late than Never and Deadly Eyes will soon be released by Hens Tooth. Will they also rerelease the 1980 Jackie Chan WB film under its American title -The Big Brawl? Possibly also The Amsterdam Kill. The Keanu Reeves 1986 Flying- a Canadian Flashdance, never received a proper theatrical release here but is also a Golden Harvest production. I believe that only leaves Megaforce as the only 70s/80s GH coproduction to be released. But seeing that the other Fox coproduction- Death Hunt went to Shout!- i would assume MEGA-FARCE will too.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 777 posts

Posted March 17 2012 - 01:58 AM

The only ones I've really been looking for are High Road to China and Lassiter. This is one of the rare instances where I find myself pre-ordering. It's taken so long for these films to come out, I'm half convinced there's been a mistake and they'll get pulled shortly before or after release.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,103 posts

Posted March 17 2012 - 05:54 AM

Depends on what the transfer is like, but glad that Lassiter (1984) is getting a DVD release.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted March 17 2012 - 12:18 PM

SAVANNAH SMILE was released by Anchor Bay, and that loked a helluva lot better than the HensTooth version IMHO.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,148 posts

Posted March 19 2012 - 09:13 PM

Won't know for sure until they come out, but I suspect Hen's Tooth got the two Tom Selleck movies from ITV and not Golden Harvest. In the '90's, the former ITC licensed both films, and some others, from Golden Harvest primarily for TV syndication, and in that package was also THE BOYS IN COMPANY C. Hen's Tooth has also had a longstanding relationship with the subsequent inheritors of the ITC library, releasing titles like HAWK THE SLAYER and FEAR OF A BLACK HAT. As such, I believe that for the time being some of these Golden Harvest films are being repped for home video by ITV. But again, until the disc comes out and one looks for a logo or copyright line, it's all speculation.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted March 20 2012 - 10:59 AM

I am almost certain Hen's Tooth got the two Selleck films from Golden Harvest. This means HensTooth could also finally release other Golden Harvest titles like MAN FROM HONG KONG and Roger Vadim's NIGHT GAMES, which could use a nice legit release, since bootlegs have been out of this title for a long time.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts

Posted March 21 2012 - 12:12 AM

Night Games-didn't realize that was Golden Harvest. This needs a nice restoration-it is one of the oddest films ever made but still very watchable and an important film in director Roger Vadim's carreer. This never caught on , but was promoted with full page Daily News ads in New York in April 1980. A week before Avco/Embassy's Death Ship. Hopefully we will be getting that soon. For now I have the great extras filmed foreign DVD. The Man From Hong Kong is out in Region 4 in a very nice package. I had always read about this -but never saw it. I don't believe HBO ever played this under its original title or as The Dragon Flies. Hen's Tooth -if they are in control of these -will do a nice job with them. I would also like to see Better Late Than Never , a charming , rarely seen movie that could have been a European Savannah Smiles if given the chance. It was sparsely released by WB in April 1983 to abysmal box office. It was David Nivens next to last released movie (if you account his appearence in The Curse of the Pink Panther at the end of the Summer) and an about face for director Bryan Forbes of The Stepford Wives. With Downtown Abbey making a star again of Maggie Smith , her role here as a Governess is fun.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,481 posts

Posted March 21 2012 - 02:38 AM

I am almost certain Hen's Tooth got the two Selleck films from Golden Harvest. This means HensTooth could also finally release other Golden Harvest titles like MAN FROM HONG KONG and Roger Vadim's NIGHT GAMES, which could use a nice legit release, since bootlegs have been out of this title for a long time.

NIGHT GAMES has been released legitimately in France and there is an earlier, inferior Dutch release. Apparently, a Fortune Star logo precedes the French DVD.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,135 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 06:32 AM

Looks like Megaforce is coming in September: http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=507846
Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 11:03 AM

Excellent news