-

Photo
- - - - -

ABC's Missing starring Ashley Judd

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
71 replies to this topic

#1 of 72 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,315 posts

Posted March 15 2012 - 08:51 AM

I was kind of surprised to see so many promos for this new series. Perhaps this isn't anymore then ABC has done for Once Upon a Time or Pan Am. Or perhaps they have a lot invested and on Ashley Judd too. I'll give it a look and see if it's okay. Though if it's like the Fugitive, how long can a series sustain with a mother chasing her son's abductors. I'm sure there's more to it then that. It does look like a very action orientated series.

#2 of 72 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,742 posts

Posted March 15 2012 - 08:57 AM

They should have called it "CIA Mom". More housewives would be tuning in.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 72 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,178 posts

Posted March 15 2012 - 10:15 AM

Looking forward to this, if only to see Ashley Judd in action, she's a great actress and I've enjoyed everything I've seen her in. She's one of those people who is just always believeable and brings a lot of emotion to her roles. Much more talented than her mother and far more pleasant to watch than her sister, who got lucky and was blessed with a good voice, although a lousy attitude. Show may be good, or a piece of garbage. Only time will tell. I just hope they give it time to grow and attract an audience.
Stan

#4 of 72 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,315 posts

Posted March 15 2012 - 04:47 PM

It was a pretty good start.

#5 of 72 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,198 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 15 2012 - 04:51 PM

I thought it was crap on many levels, but on the most important level -- the espionage chase thriller -- it worked very effectively. Effectively enough that I'll be back next week. It's nice to see Cliff Curtis and Keith Carradine on my screen again.

#6 of 72 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,604 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted March 16 2012 - 05:30 AM

I sort of watched this by accident, and it was better than I'd expected. Though I have no idea how they'll sustain this story over multiple seasons if the show were successful and renewed (ratings for the first episode were pretty low).
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#7 of 72 OFFLINE   Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

• 756 posts

Posted March 16 2012 - 07:50 AM

I think they are missing an absolute gold mine here. In her movies, I always liked Ashley Judd as a convincing strong woman, not overdone, but just right in how she comes across for her action parts. To me, this would be a kick-ass show if they would just make her a female Jack Bauer that holds nothing back to get the job done (be it saving her son or whatever in the future). I mean doing things like seriously interrogating a person she knew behind her son's kidnapping and killing him at the end to prove a point that she is DEADLY serious about doing anything it takes to save him. If they went this route, I know it would be the best action show on TV since 24 went off the air. The basics are there, the question is what are they going to do with her and the show?

#8 of 72 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,198 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 16 2012 - 08:17 AM

^ Yeah, I couldn't buy it when she breaks down sobbing at the video footage of her son being kidnapped. At that point, what the hell did she expect happened?

#9 of 72 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,315 posts

Posted March 16 2012 - 09:25 AM

Well, they did set it up that she had lost her husband in such a violent way and has become totally protective of her son. When she saw the footage of the kidnapping, I can see how it could be an emotional moment for her. She didn't really know exactly what happened. And she really didn't want to let her son go to Europe alone to study. Jeffrey, was the fight to the death with the assassin in her son's apartment not deadly enough? I have to admit I never saw 24.

#10 of 72 OFFLINE   Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

• 756 posts

Posted March 16 2012 - 06:11 PM

Well, they did set it up that she had lost her husband in such a violent way and has become totally protective of her son. When she saw the footage of the kidnapping, I can see how it could be an emotional moment for her. She didn't really know exactly what happened. And she really didn't want to let her son go to Europe alone to study. Jeffrey, was the fight to the death with the assassin in her son's apartment not deadly enough? I have to admit I never saw 24.

If you never saw 24, then you missed one of the best action shows every on TV. It held nothing back and I was surprised at times the show wasn't forced to go to cable. His character did ANYTHING it took to get the job done. He tried to avoid killing anyone that was a civilian, but he didn't stop most bad guys from killing them. Examples from the show: [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]1. There was a VERY high body count through all 24 episodes and people would keep count of how many kills he had in a single show for a running tally. 2. He needed to go undercover in one season and to do so needed to take the place of a really bad criminal. The guy was serving a life term in prison for being a killer and pedophile. Jack had the guy brought to the CTU, confirmed the man sitting in the chair was in fact the right person that was serving time in jail, then pulled out his hand gun and blew him away point blank without blinking an eye. Then he assumed his identity. 3. He would kill bad people in cold blood, no fight scene, unarmed, even sometimes them pleading or telling Jack they had info that could help. 4. He gutted a guy with a knife for killing his girlfriend/partner in the last season because he killed her using a sniper technique that would inflict as much pain as possible with no chance of living through it. Also, the guy had something in his gut he had swallowed Jack needed. No time for games or a surgeon, he needed it then and took joy in looking into the eyes of her killer while gutting him. They even showed the gore in the next episode of his handy work. The bad guy was a real scum bag and you felt like, yes, he got what he deserved. 5. He chopped off the hand of his partner one season because a bomb was locked onto it with no way to get it off in time. It saved their lives and many others, he got help for him of course because Jack is a good guy, but he has no limits to getting the job done.[/SPOILER] Too many others to list, but those are some good samples. Like I said, I think Ashley Judd could be a kick-ass action star with the right material and making her a hardcore good woman, much like the character of Jack Bauer, would work. But, it will never last if they don't have a plan beyond just this kidnapping plot. I don't know if they have really thought out her character, as she goes from a kind of good fight scene to practically falling apart in another. If she was a female Jack Bauer, they would need to crank up her do anything it takes approach a LOT more than now and cut the I'm a girl so I cry and get emotional type of crap.

#11 of 72 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,624 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 17 2012 - 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffery_H 

If you never saw 24, then you missed one of the best action shows every on TV. It held nothing back and I was surprised at times the show wasn't forced to go to cable. His character did ANYTHING it took to get the job done. He tried to avoid killing anyone that was a civilian, but he didn't stop most bad guys from killing them. Examples from the show:

1. There was a VERY high body count through all 24 episodes and people would keep count of how many kills he had in a single show for a running tally.
2. He needed to go undercover in one season and to do so needed to take the place of a really bad criminal. The guy was serving a life term in prison for being a killer and pedophile. Jack had the guy brought to the CTU, confirmed the man sitting in the chair was in fact the right person that was serving time in jail, then pulled out his hand gun and blew him away point blank without blinking an eye. Then he assumed his identity.
3. He would kill bad people in cold blood, no fight scene, unarmed, even sometimes them pleading or telling Jack they had info that could help.
4. He gutted a guy with a knife for killing his girlfriend/partner in the last season because he killed her using a sniper technique that would inflict as much pain as possible with no chance of living through it. Also, the guy had something in his gut he had swallowed Jack needed. No time for games or a surgeon, he needed it then and took joy in looking into the eyes of her killer while gutting him. They even showed the gore in the next episode of his handy work. The bad guy was a real scum bag and you felt like, yes, he got what he deserved.
5. He chopped off the hand of his partner one season because a bomb was locked onto it with no way to get it off in time. It saved their lives and many others, he got help for him of course because Jack is a good guy, but he has no limits to getting the job done.
Too many others to list, but those are some good samples. Like I said, I think Ashley Judd could be a kick-ass action star with the right material and making her a hardcore good woman, much like the character of Jack Bauer, would work. But, it will never last if they don't have a plan beyond just this kidnapping plot. I don't know if they have really thought out her character, as she goes from a kind of good fight scene to practically falling apart in another. If she was a female Jack Bauer, they would need to crank up her do anything it takes approach a LOT more than now and cut the I'm a girl so I cry and get emotional type of crap.

I disagree, her emotional response to seeing her son kidnapped was well done because he was her whole life after the apparent death of his father.  Furthermore, she was plenty tough in this pilot episode and will most likely get tougher has she continues her search.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#12 of 72 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,315 posts

Posted March 17 2012 - 04:19 PM

Wow, Jack Bauer was pretty ruthless! Glad he's on our side. Thanks for the overview Jeffery.

#13 of 72 ONLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,614 posts

Posted March 17 2012 - 05:33 PM

I mostly enjoyed it. I had two issues, First it was rather dark. I don't mean tone, I mean actually dark as in you could barely see what was happening. I realize this might have been a stylistic thing, or a way to get away with making it look like she was a better fighter, but making me strain to just see what was happening began to make me lose interest Second (and this is a common complaint I have with a lot of serialized shows) is there really isn't an end game. By calling the show Missing, it implies that her son will be missing the entire run. We know she will never get a successful resolution (because then the show would be over), so it will be just one near-miss after another. I know that 24 has been mentioned, and that was one of my favorite shows. It got around this problem by having each season self-contained. Unless she becomes a missing persons finder for hire, I don't see a future. The missing son is the whole reason for the show - other serialized series make the ongoing story a background story, but I don't see that happening here. David

#14 of 72 OFFLINE   Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

• 756 posts

Posted March 18 2012 - 07:23 AM

I disagree, her emotional response to seeing her son kidnapped was well done because he was her whole life after the apparent death of his father.  Furthermore, she was plenty tough in this pilot episode and will most likely get tougher has she continues her search.

I agree in the whole context of things, but those emotions would come later on, not at that very moment. When you are totally wrapped up in a scenario like that, your emotions would be under control, almost cold in appearance and stoic for almost everything that happens. That's because you are focused on only one thing and that is doing ANYTHING to get her son back alive. Also, you are in "fight mode" which from an emotional and psychological stand point sets aside the other human emotions. This is why I don't buy into this because you don't have the see-saw emotions, until perhaps much later when things are more normal.

#15 of 72 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,624 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 18 2012 - 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffery_H 

I agree in the whole context of things, but those emotions would come later on, not at that very moment. When you are totally wrapped up in a scenario like that, your emotions would be under control, almost cold in appearance and stoic for almost everything that happens. That's because you are focused on only one thing and that is doing ANYTHING to get her son back alive. Also, you are in "fight mode" which from an emotional and psychological stand point sets aside the other human emotions. This is why I don't buy into this because you don't have the see-saw emotions, until perhaps much later when things are more normal.

Listen, we're talking about a TV series with what 42-43 minutes per episode.  You have to that into context too as they have to condense certain things to fit it into one episode.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#16 of 72 OFFLINE   Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

• 1,525 posts

Posted March 19 2012 - 07:35 AM

That's my thinking too. I'm guessing the eventual major story arc is that Judd and Bean are part of a husband and wife deep cover operation. That, or they wind up on opposite sides of something where he found out she was cheating on him and decided to disappear and defect. I thought the show didn't have as much intrigue as I like in my spy thrillers, but I'll watch it some more to see where it goes. The fact that the bad guys killed the waitress so easily struck me as a bit of a clunky way to show how ruthless they are. I would have preferred something more elegant to show they were devious and smart rather than just violent.

#17 of 72 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,315 posts

Posted March 19 2012 - 08:30 AM

Hmm, Sean Bean dying and coming back as a enemy agent. Sounds like GoldenEye. :)

#18 of 72 OFFLINE   Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted March 19 2012 - 11:48 AM

At least Sean Bean survived the Sharpe series. I'm still hoping for another installment in that saga.

#19 of 72 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,315 posts

Posted March 23 2012 - 08:00 AM

After watching this week's episode, it looks like the plan is that each week, something from our heroine's past will come back to haunt her as she pursues her son. Nice to see the CIA guy sympathizes with her. Or she uses something from her past to help her along.

#20 of 72 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,198 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 23 2012 - 09:03 AM

Cliff Curtis basically never plays bad guys. He's just got a really likable screen presence. I enjoyed this episode a good deal more than the premiere.