Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Grapes Of Wrath Blu-Ray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   kingofthejungle

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted April 06 2012 - 06:10 AM

Hello everyone, new to the forum (though I've been reading it for a while now). I have a question that I thought some of the very knowledgeable people here might be able to answer. So, I received the Grapes of Wrath Blu-Ray from SAE a couple of days ago, and I must say it's better than the DVD in a lot of ways. The contrast doesn't seem to flicker in the dark scenes anymore, it has nice grain, there doesn't seem to be a speck of dust anywhere in sight, but... I notice that the left side of the frame seems to be fairly consistently a shade softer than the right side of the frame. Not by a drastic degree, but it is noticeable. Even the softer side looks as good as say, the Blu-Ray of Twelve O'Clock High, but the sharper side is as good as I've ever seen B&W film look on the format. Stunningly sharp. Does anyone know what's causing this? Is it a transfer issue or a film elements issue?

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,647 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 07 2012 - 07:46 PM

Hi John Welcome to Home Theater Forum. Hope you enjoy your stay.
facebook.com/whotony

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,311 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted April 14 2012 - 03:23 PM

anyone with impulse issues pick this up yet? sort of as a pre cursor to what will be released, this gives plenty of time for a review
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,277 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted April 14 2012 - 04:03 PM

This to me is a great film that I have no problem dropping $30.   It kind of amazes me how much people balk at $30.. I was thinking this because today I went through my attic and came across a STACK of Star Trek:DS9 laser discs.. two episodes a disc, still with the original sticker of $29/each.  :)   $30 for a classic?  Not a problem.
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   ScottHM

ScottHM

Second Unit

• 341 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted April 14 2012 - 07:32 PM

You won't get any balking from me.  Shall I PM you my address so you can send the check?  
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattCR /t/319263/grapes-of-wrath-blu-ray/30#post_3916594 It kind of amazes me how much people balk at $30..

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 2,064 posts

Posted April 14 2012 - 07:51 PM

No balking, but the June release is going for $19.99 on Amazon. I felt I could wait two months for a 33% savings David

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,303 posts

Posted April 15 2012 - 12:15 AM

This to me is a great film that I have no problem dropping $30.   It kind of amazes me how much people balk at $30.. I was thinking this because today I went through my attic and came across a STACK of Star Trek:DS9 laser discs.. two episodes a disc, still with the original sticker of $29/each.  :)   $30 for a classic?  Not a problem.
Screen Archives are now charging $24.95 for The Grapes Of Wrath Blu-ray but your point is valid. I invite people to compare this price with Amazon's current asking price for the Meet Me In St. Louis BRD.

#8 of 20 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,449 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 15 2012 - 12:27 AM

I do have this BRD along with Zorba, but haven't watched them yet.  I could've saved some money by cancelling my order once I found out the general release date of June 5th, but decided against it.  I will try to view my disc today and report back my thoughts on it.           Crawdaddy

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,311 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted April 15 2012 - 06:35 AM

Gents I was not saying it in a bad way, the fact that I spent an entire release week looking for a single B/M store that had Streetcar in stock, and finding not a single one copy anywhere. How the times have changed, the guy at BB didn’t even know what the hell I was talking about, but oh my they have a whole display covered with HOP.   It was not meant as a crack that some of us on here have impulse issues, well maybe we do but that is ok. I know that on here a lot of discussion is always towards the price point that items are set at. But with business models changing, the way home entertainment is going, you take the good with the bad and move on.  I like everyone look for a deal when I can, and sometimes it works to my benefit.  Case in point Amazon’s deal on Mad Men; hey if you can knock out an entire season for 9.99 jump on it.   The deal here is the model for SAE, I understand that it isn’t Amazon, so they operate differently, and it also takes in account the exclusives offered by Twilight Time that are going thru that site. For some reason I can say I haven’t felt like I have gotten slighted buy what I have gotten thru them. I was lucky enough to get one of the copies of Fright Night, but not lucky enough to get a signed copy of Journey to the Center of the Earth.   As my wife has told me, it’s my only real hobby anymore, so I am allowed an allowance, so she doesn’t care, and well guess what, she enjoyed the hell out of Bell, Book and Candle, so it was worth the price.   Crawdaddy I am waiting to hear what you have to say, I might have to need this sooner than the Amazon release date, And from that original announcement I wonder what else classic wise Fox has in store; the announcement did say two titles a month.
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#10 of 20 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,449 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 15 2012 - 07:36 AM

The Grapes of Wrath is the kind of film I have to get in a certain mood to view because frankly, the subject matter is darnright depressing and it doesn't show the human race in a good light.  Anyhow, I got in that mood this morning and just got through watching the BR presentation in it's entirety.  IMO, it looks very good, now there are a few scenes in which it looks dupey or overexposed, but overall it has plenty of detail in 1080p.  It has most of the bonus material ported over from the 2004 DVD release with a Fox Movie Channel presents Fox Legacy with Tom Rothman that gives some very informative details about the film and how it came about from Zanuck purchasing its rights from Steinbeck.  I haven't finished that segment, but I expect to later on today.  I think most people will be pleased with this BRD.    Edit:  Some will complain about the grain and it's heavy in parts, particularly, the opening credits, but it does look film-like.             Crawdaddy

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 2,064 posts

Posted April 15 2012 - 07:49 AM

Crawdaddy, thanks for the mini-review David

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,311 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted April 15 2012 - 07:58 AM

thanks for the mini review seconded,
Playing at the Drive In

#13 of 20 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,449 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 15 2012 - 12:36 PM

Just to give you a comparison from another film from that same era, this BRD isn't as pristine looking as Casablanca.  IMO, I don't think the same amount of work was done to this BRD as was done by Warner for the latest Casablanca BRD.           Crawdaddy

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 718 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 15 2012 - 02:01 PM

Just to give you a comparison from another film from that same era, this BRD isn't as pristine looking as Casablanca.  IMO, I don't think the same amount of work was done to this BRD as was done by Warner for the latest Casablanca BRD. Crawdaddy
Didn't Fox stupidly destroy all or most of their nitrate master negatives some years ago and now must rely on fine grains made in the 50s with the hope they were made correctly? I doubt we will ever see any of their nitrate-era titles look as good as say, STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER on Blu Ray does.

#15 of 20 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,449 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 15 2012 - 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Morgan /t/319263/grapes-of-wrath-blu-ray/30#post_3916810 Didn't Fox stupidly destroy all or most of their nitrate master negatives some years ago and now must rely on fine grains made in the 50s with the hope they were made correctly? I doubt we will ever see any of their nitrate-era titles look as good as say, STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER on Blu Ray does.
If that's the case then this might be the best we can look forward to.  

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   RKR1970

RKR1970

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted April 15 2012 - 07:06 PM

Didn't Fox stupidly destroy all or most of their nitrate master negatives some years ago and now must rely on fine grains made in the 50s with the hope they were made correctly? I doubt we will ever see any of their nitrate-era titles look as good as say, STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER on Blu Ray does.
Outside or 30 or 40 "B" titles Fox found nitrate elements on, every thing was destroyed. All 3-strip Technicolor nitrate titles come from CRI's produced in the late 70's.

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 718 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 15 2012 - 09:55 PM

Outside or 30 or 40 "B" titles Fox found nitrate elements on, every thing was destroyed. All 3-strip Technicolor nitrate titles come from CRI's produced in the late 70's.
And I think I can guess a few of them...Dr. Renault's Secret, The Undying Monster and the Chan film Dead Men Tell.

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 2,064 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 09:16 AM

From the SAE website

March 14 - Screen Archives announces two new exclusive Blu-ray releases from 20th Century Fox starting with THE GRAPES OF WRATH and ZORBA THE GREEK! There will be two new titles each month all with extras and commentary!

In the original SAE announcement of The Grapes Of Wrath and Zorba The Greek, they promised two new Fox Blu-Rays a month.

Next week, my general release of The Grapes Of Wrath will arrive from Amazon. I know some people did pick up the SAE version. But here it is, the end of the month, and no May releases, and no June announcements.

Does anyone know what happened to this "two new titles"?

David

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,353 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 30 2012 - 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Weicker /t/319263/grapes-of-wrath-blu-ray/30#post_3931607 Next week, my general release of The Grapes Of Wrath will arrive from Amazon.
  Me, too.  I have been looking forward to this since Crawdaddy's review back in mid-April.    Odd that amazon doesn't even have cover art posted yet. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,788 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 30 2012 - 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Weicker /t/319263/grapes-of-wrath-blu-ray/30#post_3931607 Does anyone know what happened to this "two new titles"? David
  Nope. They've been quite silent.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users