-

Photo
- - - - -

Grapes Of Wrath Blu-Ray

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#1 of 49 Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 887 posts

Posted March 14 2012 - 09:37 AM

http://www.screenarc...1940-PRE-ORDER/

#2 of 49 benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,831 posts

Posted March 14 2012 - 09:56 AM

Wow. That was sudden. Lots of extras on this disc.

#3 of 49 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted March 14 2012 - 10:15 AM

I can't help but feel disappointed that Fox don't consider John Ford worthy of a 'normal' release. Very disappointed.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#4 of 49 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,142 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 14 2012 - 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by John Hodson 

I can't help but feel disappointed that Fox don't consider John Ford worthy of a 'normal' release. Very disappointed.

Probably just an exclusive time-frame for Screen Archives, like the 4 recent titles at Best Buy.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#5 of 49 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted March 14 2012 - 10:41 AM

I do hope so...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#6 of 49 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,140 posts

Posted March 14 2012 - 10:46 AM

Seconds after I read this I got SAE's announcement of this, and also ZORBA THE GREEK. These aren't Twilight Time releases, and I also figure they won't be exclusive for long. The supplements are drawn from prior DVD editions. Format: Black & White, Widescreen Audio: English Mono DTS-HD Master Audio, Spanish Mono, French Mono Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish Region: Region 1 Aspect Ratio: 1.66:1 Rated: NOT RATED Studio: 20th Century Fox Run Time: 142 minutes Special Features: - Commentary by Director Michael Cacoyannis and Professor Demetrios Liappas - Anthony Quinn: A Lust for Life as seen on Biography on the A&E Network - Alternate Introduction - Fox Movietone News Bonus: Free magnet to accompany this release with first 1000 copies ordered!

#7 of 49 Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted March 14 2012 - 11:08 AM

I wish they would go ahead and put preorders up for The Big Heat and Journey To The Center Of The Earth so I can at least save a bit on shipping.

#8 of 49 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,963 posts

Posted March 14 2012 - 11:57 AM

I just found out these are Fox Titles being sold not TT. The next blu-ray from them is up for pe order on the 16th. Desiree and Bell Book and Candle it is all on Facebook

#9 of 49 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,553 posts

Posted March 14 2012 - 03:17 PM

Also note that these do not have the Twilight Time limit of 3,000 units, so no need to worry about these titles selling out. Also, it looks like they are starting a regular schedule of two new blu-ray releases each month:

Screen Archives announces two new exclusive Blu-ray releases from 20th Century Fox starting with THE GRAPES OF WRATH and ZORBA THE GREEK! There will be two new titles each month all with extras and commentary!

Hopefully Bob Cashill is right and that these will go into wider release later. I don't think I could keep up paying for 4 SAE-priced blu-rays per month. I'll likely stick to the limited releases.

#10 of 49 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,140 posts

Posted March 15 2012 - 01:01 AM

If I'm wrong, then I guess Fox doesn't think the catalog titles it sent out on DVD with supplementary bells-and-whistles will sell that broadly on Blu-ray. Paying a premium for something that's never been available, or only available in inferior form, is one thing; I prefer to double-dip more cheaply.

#11 of 49 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted March 15 2012 - 01:17 AM

Possibly a 'testing the waters' marketing thing; seeing how many will pony up $30+ to get it ahead of the herd (and that all-important 'free' fridge magnet...) If enough do it, expect it to become the norm. In fact, if *enough* do it why lower the price at all?
Film Journal Blog

#12 of 49 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,860 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 15 2012 - 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by John Hodson 

Possibly a 'testing the waters' marketing thing; seeing how many will pony up $30+ to get it ahead of the herd

i was thinking the same thing, Stars and Stripes Forever gets a general release, as well as the upcomming Titanic (1953), The Big Trail and Barbarian and the Geisha become Wal-Mart exclusives. the deal with that is they may be in stores and discounted, but i don't  see a price drop at SAE.

Also, i wonder if any of the other studios are going to go this route (Sony) with the Capra films?

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#13 of 49 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,179 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 15 2012 - 03:22 AM

I love the Grapes of Wrath.  And, I would love to own it on Blu.

But I won't pay $30 for the privilege.  At that price, my Fox Studio Classics version will serve me just fine.

I hope the speculation that this title will lose exclusivity quickly and then drop in price will prove prescient.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#14 of 49 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,860 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 15 2012 - 05:39 AM

From the SAE website

March 14 - Screen Archives announces two new exclusive Blu-ray releases from 20th Century Fox starting with THE GRAPES OF WRATH and ZORBA THE GREEK! There will be two new titles each month all with extras and commentary!

as i am reading this, i couldn't help to think of the Studio Classic Collection, or the Noir series that Fox had, 2 titles a month, this year could get damn expensive!!!

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#15 of 49 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,142 posts

Posted March 15 2012 - 06:14 AM

2 titles a month? Not bad. People balk at the price points but that's the reality of the market for on-disc media these days. The days of the mid-2000's $4 bargain bins are over. If there ends up being a few titles in these releases that I really want I'll bite.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#16 of 49 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted March 15 2012 - 06:22 AM

2 titles a month? Not bad. People balk at the price points but that's the reality of the market for on-disc media these days. The days of the mid-2000's $4 bargain bins are over. If there ends up being a few titles in these releases that I really want I'll bite.

So; Fox gives an 'exclusive' deal to Best Buy on The Big Trail and The Barbarian and The Geisha, and they're what? $14.99 each? Meanwhile, there's a similar deal with two titles at Screen Archives and they're a few cents short of *double* that each. They're all Fox titles, they haven't been licensed out. Fox has gone fishing; it's up to consumers how this game ends up.
Film Journal Blog

#17 of 49 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,142 posts

Posted March 15 2012 - 06:36 AM

Still better than the a couple years back when Fox's deep catalog output on Blu-ray was next to nothing, IMO.

We'll see how this shakes out. I'm sure the more popular titles will find their way to more retailers within a year or so. People have the option of waiting them out.

#18 of 49 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted March 15 2012 - 07:39 AM

...and then, it seems, there are other options.
Film Journal Blog

#19 of 49 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,370 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted March 15 2012 - 08:23 AM

Two a month, that's great news. I can wait 'till they get a wee bit cheaper, fans of old movies are used to waiting!

#20 of 49 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted March 15 2012 - 06:15 PM

It now says on the SAE site that the national street date for the two titles is 6/5/12.