-

Photo
- - - - -

NFL 2012 Off Season Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
59 replies to this topic

#1 of 60 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,436 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 14 2012 - 04:31 AM

With free agency beginning, it is probably a good time to start this thread.

#2 of 60 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,171 posts

Posted March 14 2012 - 04:33 AM

Scott, I'm pleased that Megatron was signed to a new seven-year contract. http://espn.go.com/n...n-detroit-lions

#3 of 60 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,436 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 14 2012 - 04:36 AM

Lot's of news over the past few days:
  • Peyton Manning is on the open market. Denver, Miami, Arizona and Tennessee are the current suitors.
  • The Redskins showed once again how little they value the draft, trading away two additional 1st round picks and a 2nd rounder to move up two spots in the draft and swap with the Rams. They also overpaid for free agent WR Pierre Garcon. Same old 'Skins.
  • Tampa's on a spending spree, signing Vincent Jackson, Eric Wright and Carl Nicks.
  • The Lions signed Calvin Johnson to the richest WR contract in NFL history.
  • The Dolphins traded Brandon Marshall to the Bears for the cheap price of two 3rd round picks. It then comes out that Marshall was in legal trouble again, this time for allegedly punching a woman in the face on Sunday.

#4 of 60 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,682 posts

Posted March 14 2012 - 05:46 AM

Why do I get the feeling the Titans is where Peyton will end up playing for this upcoming season?
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#5 of 60 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,436 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 14 2012 - 06:04 AM

Scott, I'm pleased that Megatron was signed to a new seven-year contract. http://espn.go.com/n...n-detroit-lions

The Lions had to do this for several reasons. (1) CJ is a huge part of their offense, and is arguably the best receiver currently in the game. (2) They could not afford to lose CJ to free agency next season. (3) Johnson's current 2012 salary cap hit before the deal was $20M, so this gives them some much needed cap relief so they can try to resign Tulloch and Backus. They already lost Eric Wright to Tampa.

#6 of 60 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,171 posts

Posted March 14 2012 - 06:32 AM

The Lions had to do this for several reasons. (1) CJ is a huge part of their offense, and is arguably the best receiver currently in the game. (2) They could not afford to lose CJ to free agency next season. (3) Johnson's current 2012 salary cap hit before the deal was $20M, so this gives them some much needed cap relief so they can try to resign Tulloch and Backus. They already lost Eric Wright to Tampa.

Agreed. Scott, Did you hear/read where some of the Lions players were 'restructuring' their contracts in order to make cap room for some of the upper-echelon players' salaries?

#7 of 60 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,436 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 14 2012 - 06:41 AM

Agreed. Scott, Did you hear/read where some of the Lions players were 'restructuring' their contracts in order to make cap room for some of the upper-echelon players' salaries?

I know Stafford, Suh and Burleson restructured their contracts last week to free up cap space. It really didn't cost the players any money, though, as salaries are converted to bonuses to spread the cost over subsequent years. It's just a game all teams play with the cap.

#8 of 60 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,436 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 16 2012 - 06:36 AM

It appears that the three finalists in the Peyton Derby are Denver, Tennessee and San Fran. I was surprised that the Niners were not linked to Manning earlier, as that seems like the best match if his primary criteria was best opportunity to win a Super Bowl. The one missing ingredient to a championship in SF is a quality QB, and a healthy Manning would fill that in spades. It is now being reported that Manning worked out for the Niners earlier in the week. For best opportunity to win, I would rank his choices as (1) SF, (2) Denver, and (3) Tennessee. It was assumed that Reggie Wayne would sign with whatever team Peyton went to. Instead, Wayne has resigned with the Colts. Seems like a strange decision for him, as Indy is in full rebuilding mode. Not much chance of getting to another Super Bowl for him there.

#9 of 60 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,682 posts

Posted March 19 2012 - 05:00 AM

Peyton picks Denver!
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#10 of 60 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,436 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 19 2012 - 05:54 AM

Peyton picks Denver!

So, where does Tebow get traded to? Jacksonville?

#11 of 60 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,171 posts

Posted March 19 2012 - 05:57 AM

So, where does Tebow get traded to? Jacksonville?

Tebow gets traded to Indianapolis for Andrew Luck, who comes to Denver to be Manning's understudy. ;) Seriously, I think Jacksonville is a very good possibility from what I've been reading the past couple of weeks.

#12 of 60 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,497 posts

Posted March 19 2012 - 11:28 AM

John Elway is making quite an impact as the chief executive of the Broncos, just as he did when he was a player. Reports are that he was the main reason Manning chose Denver. I feel good about the future of the team.

#13 of 60 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,436 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 20 2012 - 08:05 AM

I'll reserve final judgement on the Manning signing by Elway until we see if his surgically-repaired neck holds up. It's an expensive gamble, but one I think it was worth taking by the Broncos. Not only do they get a future Hall of Fame QB, but they rid themselves of the Tebow circus. The starting QB musical chairs is just about done now. The results: Manning to Denver Luck to Indy (probably) Robert Griffin III to Washington (probably) Matt Flynn to Seattle Alex Smith stays in SF (probably) Colt McCoy to stay in Cleveland -- Browns an early entry in the Matt Barkley sweepstakes Matt Moore to stay in Miami -- the Dolphins an early entry in the Matt Barkley sweepstakes

#14 of 60 dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted March 20 2012 - 10:47 AM

Well I'm very excited to get Flynn, hopeful that he doesn't become a Cobb. I'm a little surprised we didn't resign Hawthorne. I'm pretty excited for the Seahawks we are an inch or two way from being a real contender.

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#15 of 60 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,436 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 20 2012 - 01:33 PM

Flynn is a decent pickup, IMO -- especially because Seattle didn't overpay for him. At that contract, it is a pretty low-risk signing, as Seattle shouldn't be hamstrung against the cap if he flops. Where did Hawthorne sign? I know he was scheduled to meet with the Lions, but that was cancelled when Detroit resigned Tulloch today.

#16 of 60 dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted March 20 2012 - 02:57 PM

He hasn't signed anywhere yet but I'm sure someone needs a a good middle linebacker.

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#17 of 60 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,436 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 21 2012 - 05:24 AM

Tebow has been traded to the Jets for a 4th round pick. As if that team wasn't enough of a media circus already. :rolleyes: In some rather shocking news, the NFL has suspended Saints head coach Sean Payton for an entire season for the "bounty scandal" Former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, now with the Rams, has been suspended indefinitely.

#18 of 60 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,548 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted March 21 2012 - 05:59 AM

It'll be interesting to see how the Cromartie-Sanchez-Tebow triangle plays out. Although there's always the possibility that the Jets could trade Tebow to someone else if they can get decent compensation. The Florida teams seemed pretty hot and bothered to grab him.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#19 of 60 Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted March 21 2012 - 06:10 AM

The punishment for the Saints seems a little over the top considering how lightly they came down on New England for what was a far more egregious situation.

#20 of 60 Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,341 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted March 21 2012 - 06:16 AM

Suitable punishment for Payton, Williams and the Saints. :tu: