Tim Burton's DARK SHADOWS (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
It's a comedy:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54274
Dark Shadows was always underpinned by literary roots. Underneath the soap and the Gothic horror, there is epic tragedy.
I was hoping for a Wuthering Heights, instead I get another Tim Burton fetish comedy with a drag-queen substituted for the Shakespearean lead.
Crossing The Addams Family with The Rocky Horror Picture Show is not Dark Shadows.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I read the essay. Based on that, I don't know whether I will enjoy or abhor this film.
For my own part, I'm going into this film with the mindset that it has nothing at all to do with the 1966-1971 series, which I love. (The original series is my all-time favorite television series.) I do the same whenever I watch Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. I'm able to enjoy that film a whole lot more as a result. That being said, I'm fairly certain that I will be unable to curtail comparisons to the original series to some extent.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
To quote from a post on another entry in this seemingly interminable series of Burton/ Depp films:
Kevin M said:
Pretty much in the "Burton tackling anything isn't such a good idea" crowd these days. The effeminate Burton "goth Depp" approach is as old and tired as Burton and Depp themselves IMO.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
SWFF,
Thanks for posting the trailer. I DVR'd the Ellen show today for this very reason. I've never seen an episode of Ellen before.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
SWFF,
The video you posted "... is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Warner Bros. Entertainment."

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
When I posted it had been up for six minutes. Don't worry you weren't missing anything. Wasn't my recording, someone else's.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
SWFF said:
When I posted it had been up for six minutes. Don't worry you weren't missing anything. Wasn't my recording, someone else's. 
SWFF,
I got to see it before it was removed. Thanks. :)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Warner Brothers is being tighty-wad with promotional materials, don't you think?
Usually there are trailers and posters and tons of promotional stuff online 8 weeks before an opening.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ If the trailer leaked out this week, it seems likely that it'll have to be in theaters (for better or worse) in the next two or three weeks. I'm pretty sure the Clash Of The Titans sequel comes out in a few weeks so perhaps they're waiting for that. Plus, it makes sense to attach the trailer to what will be their biggest movie before DS comes out.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Okay, see the one-sheet and view the trailer here:
http://thefilmstage.com/trailer/tim-burtons-dark-shadows-trailer-featuring-johnny-depp/

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
On the Apple Trailers site. up to 1080p: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/darkshadows/
It looks great!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, looks like Barnabus Sparrow (or is that Jack Collins) meets Beetlejuice. I think we've seen it all before.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Funny, because at the same time, they're turning Depp's 21 Jump Street into an over-the-top comedy. Lucky I've never seen either show, because both movies look like utter shit.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H /t/319251/tim-burtons-dark-shadows#post_3907305
Funny, because at the same time, they're turning Depp's 21 Jump Street into an over-the-top comedy. Lucky I've never seen either show, because both movies look like utter shit.

Well our nation's critics are currently disagreeing with you on 21 Jump Street so who knows?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't care about that at all. It could be the top of its form, but that's never going to be the type of comedy I will view with anything but disdain. Since I will never see it, don't worry--I don't plan to ever talk about 21 Jump Street again. After saying that Depp reminds me of Jim Carrey in Dumb or Dumber in this, I probably won't talk Dark Shadows ever again, either.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It looks fun. Tim Burton's put together a great cast. It actually felt more like a Barry Sonnenfeld show to me. Probably helps that I never saw the original show, so I have nothing to compare it to. I thought Victoria Winters was the protagonist of the story however? The trailer seems to be all Collinses and witches.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks