Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hoping this is the right place

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   dcluver04

dcluver04

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 12 2012 - 06:32 AM

to post this. Alright so I have had Sony Surround Sound for about a year or two now and it has always treated me pretty well...until now. The other day I got my Multi-region BD player in had no HDMI cable to test it. So all I did was unplug the one from my BD player and hook it up into this one. Everything was fine. When I finally got another one I hooked the new one into my standard BD player which came with the surround sound BTW. I watched a movie and 30 rock on it with no problems. I then went and put on Stan Helsing and suddenly the audio was fucked up. It sounded like it was muffled. I turned the surround sound all the way down and the TV audio kicked in which sounded fine. I then tried turning that audio off with only the surround sound on...again sounded muffled. So then I thought maybe it was the new HDMI cable and so I switched it back to the old one. Stan Helsing still sounded weird but I thought maybe it was just the specific BD and so I threw in Terminator. It sounded great...until the dialogue. So why would the score and sound effects work in the surround sound but then the dialogue sound muffled? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,536 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted March 12 2012 - 06:53 AM

I can't answer your question specifically (it sounds like something wrong with your A/V receiver/processor), but I wanted to welcome you to the forum!

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 12 2012 - 07:04 AM

Swap your center channel with one of the right or left channels and do some listening. If the problem follows the speaker, then the speaker is probably damaged. If the problem stays with the channel (sounds like the center) then there is something else wrong, possibly just a setting or possibly a bad amp channel. I am also guessing it didn't have anything to do with swapping the blu-ray players, but you never know. Just for kicks too, check your receiver's speaker settings as well, possibly the center was turned down or off? What sound mode do you have the receiver set to? Set it to "Auto" and see if it detects the sound codecs properly.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein