-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Weekly RoundUp 3-13-2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 of 41 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,995 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 10 2012 - 04:05 PM

Posted Image

The Features

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/
– George Clooney (The Descendants – 2011)

– Michelle Williams (My Week With Marilyn – 2011)

–The Adventures of Tintin – 2011

–Anna Magnani (Bellissima – 1951)

–Charlize Theron (Young Adult– 2011)

–Willem Dafoe (The Last Temptation of Christ– 1988)

–Kirsten Dunst (Melancholia– 2011)

– Milla Jovovich (The Three Musketeers– 2011)

–Virgin Witch – 1972

The Prices
Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

SD-DVD TITLE                                                                    Amazon BestBuy Target
The Adventures of Tintin $15.49 $16.99 $17.00
Alfredo Alfredo $14.99 $19.99  
American Pie Presents Unrated 4-Play Pack $19.99 $24.99  
Bag of Bones $15.99 $24.99  
Bellissima $20.99 $24.99  
Black Butterfly $12.49 $12.99  
Conversation Piece (1974) $26.99 $24.99  
Coonskin $13.49 $9.99  
The Descendants $14.99 $14.99 $17.00
Doctor Who: The Face of Evil $18.99 $19.99  
Doctor Who: The Robots of Death SE $18.99 $19.99  
Doctor Who: The Three Doctors SE $25.99 $29.99  
Doctor Who:  The Tomb of the Cybermen SE $25.99 $29.99  
Grimm's Snow White $11.99 $12.99  
God's Mighty Servant $22.49 $19.99  
Happy Feet Two $14.99 $14.99 $14.00
Hercules: Legendary Journeys: Season 3 $21.99 $19.99  
Killer's Moon (Remastered Edition) $14.95 $12.99  
The Killing: Season 1 $35.99 $24.99 $28.00
The Looney Tunes Show: Season 1 Volume 3 $13.49 $12.99  
Loosies $22.49 $12.99  
Melancholia $13.99 $16.99  
My Joy $24.99 $24.99  
My Week With Marilyn $14.99 $17.99 $17.00
Neverland $14.99 $14.99 $14.00
Scooby-Doo! Music of the Vampire $14.99 $14.99  
Screwball: The Ted Whitfield Story $16.99 $19.99  
Stuck Between Stations $14.99 $19.99  
Superjail!: Season 2 $13.99 $14.99  
The Three Musketeers (2011) $17.99 $15.99 $15.00
La Terra Trema $20.99 $24.99  
Virgin Witch (Remastered Edition) $12.99 $12.99  
La Visita $24.99 $24.99  
Wallace & Gromit's World of Invention: Complete Series $9.99 $12.99  
Xena - Warrior Princess: Season 3 $19.99 $19.99  
Young Adult $15.49 $16.99 $17.00

Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

BLU-RAY TITLE                                                                  Amazon BestBuy Target
The Adventures of Tintin (Combo pack) $21.99 $22.99 $23.00
The Adventures of Tintin (3-D) (Combo Pack) $27.99 $27.99 $30.00
American Pie $13.99 $14.99  
American Pie 2 $14.99 $14.99  
American Wedding $14.99 $14.99  
The Descendants (Combo Pack) $19.99 $22.99 $23.00
Grimm's Snow White $19.99 $19.99  
Happy Feet Two $19.99 $17.99 $18.00
Happy Feet Two (Combo Pack) $24.99 $22.99 $23.00
Happy Feet Two (3-D) (Combo Pack) $29.99 $29.99  
Killer's Moon (Remastered Edition) $14.99 $14.99  
The Killing: Season 1 $44.99 $34.99 $32.00
The Last Temptation of Christ (CC) $27.99 $29.99  
Melancholia $18.49 $19.99  
My Week With Marilyn (Combo Pack) $19.99 $22.99 $23.00
Neverland $17.99 $19.99  
Scooby-Doo! Music of the Vampire $19.99 $24.99  
The Three Musketeers SE (2011) $19.99 $17.99 $23.00
The Three Musketeers SE (3-D) (2011) $24.99 $19.99  
Triad Trilogy $19.99 $34.99  
Virgin Witch (Remastered Edition) $14.99 $14.99  
Wallace & Gromit's World of Invention:  Complete Series $10.99 $12.99  
Wizards (35th Anniversary Edition) $24.99 $29.99  
Young Adult $19.99 $22.99 $23.00

(CC) after a title = New release in the Criterion Collection.

Individual Titles in the Collections Listed Above:

American Pie Presents Unrated 4-Play Pack  (DVD):  Band Camp, Naked Mile, Beta House, The Book of Love.

The Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

--Best Buy is advertising a SAVE $3 sticker on the cover of the DVDs and Blu-rays of The Adventures of Tintin...to save more.

--And, BB Reward Zone members get Triple Reward Zone points with the purchase of EITHER the DVD or Blu-ray of The Adventures of Tintin.  Limit one points offer per member.

--At Best Buy, save $10 when you buy BOTH The Killing: Season 1 AND the Breakout Kings ($27.99 DVD).

--BB is advertising The Game of Thrones on blu for $49.99.

--Best Buy is advertising FREE John Carter movie cash when you purchase any of these $14.99 Blu Combo Packs:  National Treasure, National Treasure 2, Remember the Titans.

--Best Buy has the following Blu-rays on sale for $9.99 this week:  Kick-Ass, Groundhog Day, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, The Matrix Reloaded/The Matrix Revolutions 2-pack, Gattaca.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends:  None to report.

--I wonder if Target is going to keep up with this week's apparent conversion to prices without 99-cents attached...  All the prices in this wek's flyer are "dollars only."

--Target this week has two EXCLUSIVE RELEASES:  Fairly Legal: Season 1 and In Plain Sight: Season 4.  Both DVD sets are on sale for $25.  Quantities limited, no rainchecks.

--Target also has a FREE MP3 AUDIO BOOK with their copies of My Week With Marilyn.  A $30 value.

--Target is also advertising the Star Wars Saga on Blu for $80.

--Target Odds and Ends: a short list of $7 DVDs.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 41 Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted March 10 2012 - 04:14 PM

Tintin 3D for me from Best Buy. Wonder if the $3 coupon & the triple points apply to it or just the dvd & blu ray combo pack? Thanks for the roundup, Mike.

#3 of 41 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,698 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 10 2012 - 04:51 PM

Thanks Mike.  TinTin for me, American Pie when they go on sale for $9.99 sometime later this year.  For those of you who still don't have Kick Ass or Scott Pilgrim, they are well worth the $9.99 sale price at Best Buy.  Both have had multiple repeat viewings (and are due for another round) in the Gregorich house.

#4 of 41 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,640 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 10 2012 - 05:29 PM

The adult in me held off on three releases I was going to grab from last week...and nothing again this week.  Though I may not be able to hold out through the rest of the week.  I'm weak when it comes to those discs...

Thanks Mike!

#5 of 41 Peter McM

Peter McM

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted March 10 2012 - 05:37 PM

I had hoped for a better price on the 35th anniversary of Wizards. I may wait for a drop.
I am Car Salesman of Borg. You will be assimilated with no money down and easy terms available.

#6 of 41 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,832 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 11 2012 - 12:46 AM

Thanks as always, Mike, for the RoundUp.

I'll have the review for The Killing up later today. My Week with Marilyn should be up tomorrow. I'm expecting Wizards and The Descendants this week, but they haven't arrived yet.

#7 of 41 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,605 posts

Posted March 11 2012 - 02:56 AM

Thanks for the roundup, Mike. My Tintin review will be going up this afternoon. Excellent movie and terrific disc!

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#8 of 41 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,650 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 11 2012 - 03:10 AM

I'll be picking up The Adventures of Tintin and maybe Young Adult this week. I may get the American Pies when they go on sale (which could be in a few weeks when the new movie opens). The Descendants is well worth a rental. Thanks for the prices, Mike! :)

#9 of 41 EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,461 posts

Posted March 11 2012 - 03:17 AM

Tempted to rent The Killing....but nothing for me this week!

#10 of 41 Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 687 posts

Posted March 11 2012 - 03:59 AM

Im getting...Tin Tin, My Week with Marylin, Happy Feet 2 3D, Wallace and Grommit and also several not mentioned this week but are coming out: Doctor Who Tomb of the Cyberman. Doctor Who The Three Doctors, Doctor Who Face of Evil, Doctor Who Robots of Death

Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#11 of 41 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,995 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 11 2012 - 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Towergrove 

I'm getting...Tin Tin, My Week with Marylin, Happy Feet 2 3D, Wallace and Grommit and also several not mentioned this week but are coming out: Doctor Who Tomb of the Cyberman. Doctor Who The Three Doctors, Doctor Who Face of Evil, Doctor Who Robots of Death

Gee.  I thought they were listed, alphabetically, in the SD price table....     Posted Image

Posted Image

Doctor Who: The Face of Evil $18.99  http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=hometheaterforum-20&l=ur2&o=1 $19.99    
Doctor Who: The Robots of Death SE $18.99http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=hometheaterforum-20&l=ur2&o=1 $19.99  
Doctor Who: The Three Doctors SE $25.99http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=hometheaterforum-20&l=ur2&o=1 $29.99  
Doctor Who:  The Tomb of the Cybermen SE                    $25.99http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=hometheaterforum-20&l=ur2&o=1 $29.99  

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#12 of 41 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,995 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 11 2012 - 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich 

Thanks Mike.  TinTin for me, American Pie when they go on sale for $9.99 sometime later this year.  For those of you who still don't have Kick Ass or Scott Pilgrim, they are well worth the $9.99 sale price at Best Buy.  Both have had multiple repeat viewings (and are due for another round) in the Gregorich house.

I can't agree enough about Kick-Ass.  If you haven't seen it (and like action films)...you'll be pleasantly surprised.  It is quite a fun ride.  I'm due for another screening, in fact, and even though I remember a fair amount of violence and obscenity (involving some young people) I remember being overwhelmed with the light tone of the film.

From the HTF's Blu-ray review thread:

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich ../..

I'm interested to hear what Mike and Man think.  I for one really enjoyed Kick Ass--and for $12.99 you can't go wrong!

Mike loved it!  ../../img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif

I had another couple of hours to spend with my HT this weekend while my wife was involved in other projects and it was Kick-Ass which got pulled off the shelf.

I thought the film was inventive.  The story and characters were fresh as fresh can be.  I enjoyed myself from beginning to end.  I was hooked right at the opening sequence when the guy takes the dive off the skyscraper.  When the film was over, I realized I had a big grin on my face.  The cast was terrific.  There was humor, action, pathos.  It was a coming-of-age, action thriller...I guess.  ../../img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif  I remember when I was a kid...reading my DC comics in the '60s and '70s...hoping upon hope that it would be possible to get the ability to fly.  ../../img/vbsmilies/htf/blush.gif  this movie really spoke to my childhood in that way.  Great premise.

One of the things I found the most fun was the constant realization on the part of the characters about how difficult it would be to be a superhero in the real world...but to then, as a viewer, get caught up in some of the amazing action sequences only to be challenged to suspend your belief that these characters could really be performing these acts.

Hit Girl absolutely stole the film.

Many HTF members said it's one of their favorite films of recent years.  Even RAH loved it!

#13 of 41 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,817 posts

Posted March 11 2012 - 07:12 AM

Yeah, both Kick-Ass and Scott Pilgrim are highly recommendable for anyone not likely to find them offensive. My wife actually liked Kick-Ass a lot -- more so than Scott Pilgrim. Then again, she does generally prefer action flix a bit more than so-called chick flix. :D Anyhoo, thanks for another WRU, Mike. _Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#14 of 41 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,461 posts

Posted March 11 2012 - 07:47 AM

Thanks for the RoundUp Mike. Lots of rentals for me this week, but no purchases. How are you feeling Mike? I hope you are doing better.

#15 of 41 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,995 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 11 2012 - 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by DavidJ 

How are you feeling Mike? I hope you are doing better.

Well...I wasn't going to make a big deal about it...but since I've been discussing it along the way...

I was actually back in the hospital this past week--again.  After the recent round of blood clots and pulmonary embolisms, I was put on a lifetime of blood thinners (not an unusual decision considering it ws my time of throwing a blood clot from my legs into my lungs).

But, weirdly, I threw yet another clot this past week--even though on the blood thinners.  THAT'S not good.  So I had to go in and get a filter installed in my vena cava to catch any errant clots.  The procedure went extremely well...but the appearance of new clots has set back a lot of the progress I had made after the long bout with pneumonia and the first round of clots.

But, I'm just thrilled to still be ticking and churning out RoundUps!  Posted Image 

And, thanks to David (and everyone else) for your best wishes.

#16 of 41 TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,007 posts

Posted March 11 2012 - 09:01 AM

Yeah, both Kick-Ass and Scott Pilgrim are highly recommendable for anyone not likely to find them offensive. My wife actually liked Kick-Ass a lot -- more so than Scott Pilgrim. Then again, she does generally prefer action flix a bit more than so-called chick flix. :D Anyhoo, thanks for another WRU, Mike. _Man_

I own both and enjoyed both movies very much. Jacob

#17 of 41 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,817 posts

Posted March 11 2012 - 12:51 PM

Sorry to hear that it's been that serious -- guess I missed much of the detail posted before. Glad to hear that you're still able to find some joy and peace despite all that though. Will be praying for you then... Peace... _Man_

How are you feeling Mike? I hope you are doing better.

Well...I wasn't going to make a big deal about it...but since I've been discussing it along the way... I was actually back in the hospital this past week--again.  After the recent round of blood clots and pulmonary embolisms, I was put on a lifetime of blood thinners (not an unusual decision considering it ws my time of throwing a blood clot from my legs into my lungs). But, weirdly, I threw yet another clot this past week--even though on the blood thinners.  THAT'S not good.  So I had to go in and get a filter installed in my vena cava to catch any errant clots.  The procedure went extremely well...but the appearance of new clots has set back a lot of the progress I had made after the long bout with pneumonia and the first round of clots.  But, I'm just thrilled to still be ticking and churning out RoundUps!  :D   And, thanks to David (and everyone else) for your best wishes.   

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#18 of 41 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,605 posts

Posted March 11 2012 - 01:35 PM

Mike, my review for The Adventures of Tintin can be found here

Stay well!!

Neil

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#19 of 41 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,995 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 11 2012 - 02:01 PM

And Matt's review of The Killing can be found HERE.

But, I'm afraid we've had an incident with the pricing grids this week and links are sorta problematic at the moment.  Posted Image

#20 of 41 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,832 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 11 2012 - 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon 

And Matt's review of The Killing can be found HERE.

But, I'm afraid we've had an incident with the pricing grids this week and links are sorta problematic at the moment.  Posted Image

Thanks for finding the review, Mike. Much appreciated even if there are problems with the links this week. No biggie for sure.

P.S. I still plan right now to have My Week with Marilyn up tomorrow night.