What's new

new receiver questions (1 Viewer)

ADKstorm

Auditioning
Real Name
Moto
I currently have a JVC RX-5020V with speakers and subwoofer. I'm looking to upgrade the receiver that has HDMI ports. The current receiver is a 500 watt. The speakers are rated for 100 watt RMS at 8 ohm. I was looking to get the Onkyo TX-NR509 5.1 Channel Network A/V Receiver which is 80 watts per channel. Available on Amazon for $239.11. Questions:
  1. I assume going lower than the speakers will be safe for the speakers...correct?
  2. I don't really listen to movies real loud but will this unit be adequate for the speakers?
  3. Will quality suffer or will it be the same?
  4. Are there any other receivers that would be a better replacement for the same cost or lower?
Thanks for any help! ADK

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Moto, The Onkyo should work fine for your speakers. I'll try to answer each of you questions below. 1. Yes, it will be safe. The rating for your speakers is how much power they can handle before they break. It is not how much they need. The important spec for for this upgrade is the impedance of 8 ohms. This rating means you can safely use the speakers with the new receiver. 2. It will be more than adequate. The difference between 80 and 100 watts is almost nothing. Plus, I'd bet the Onkyo is actually putting out more than the JVC (better amp and better power supply). 3. The quality will be similar. It is the speakers that make the sound. A new receiver will not greatly impact how they sound. 4. Onkyo is a good brand. You could also look around for similar models from Denon, Pioneer, and Yamaha (if you feel ambitious). One thing you do not mention is if your sub is powered or passive. Does it have its own amp (do you have to plug it into an electrical outlet)? If the answer is no, it will not work with the new receiver. You will either have to use a separate amp to power it or replace it with a powered sub.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Don't be concerned too much with receivers or speakers power ratings. 99% of the time you won't use anywhere near the maximum power of the receiver or the speakers, especially if your system is setup properly. The Ohm rating (8 ohm is good) and the speakers sensitvity (SPL) are far more important. And that JVC receiver really won't come close to 100 wpc with all 5 channels hooked up. It only consumes 180 watts. 180 divided by 5 is 45. Times that by 80% effeciency and you're looking at about 35 wpc which is about what most receivers in that price range will do. 80, 100, 110, etc. You really won't be able to tell the difference even if those numbers were actually accurate. The 509 will actually be a bit more powerfull than your JCV because Onkyo uses a very good amp section (second maybe to Harman kardon). A new receiver also has many settings and features that really enchance the sound quality like Audyssey room correction and the ability to decode the new Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats found on BluRay discs. The 509 is a nice entry level receiver that will really be an upgrade from the JVC, which may have been nice in it's day, but it's day has passed. Also consider the Denon 1612 (my personal favorite in that price range), Pioneer 821, Yamaha 471 and H/K 2650 but the 509 is a very choice at that price.

ADKstorm

Auditioning
Real Name
Moto
David Willow said:
Hi Moto, The Onkyo should work fine for your speakers. I'll try to answer each of you questions below. 1. Yes, it will be safe. The rating for your speakers is how much power they can handle before they break. It is not how much they need. The important spec for for this upgrade is the impedance of 8 ohms. This rating means you can safely use the speakers with the new receiver. 2. It will be more than adequate. The difference between 80 and 100 watts is almost nothing. Plus, I'd bet the Onkyo is actually putting out more than the JVC (better amp and better power supply). 3. The quality will be similar. It is the speakers that make the sound. A new receiver will not greatly impact how they sound. 4. Onkyo is a good brand. You could also look around for similar models from Denon, Pioneer, and Yamaha (if you feel ambitious). One thing you do not mention is if your sub is powered or passive. Does it have its own amp (do you have to plug it into an electrical outlet)? If the answer is no, it will not work with the new receiver. You will either have to use a separate amp to power it or replace it with a powered sub.
Yes, the subwoofer needs to be plugged in to an outlet for power. Thanks for the info and advice.

ADKstorm

Auditioning
Real Name
Moto
gene c said:
Don't be concerned too much with receivers or speakers power ratings. 99% of the time you won't use anywhere near the maximum power of the receiver or the speakers, especially if your system is setup properly. The Ohm rating (8 ohm is good) and the speakers sensitvity (SPL) are far more important. And that JVC receiver really won't come close to 100 wpc with all 5 channels hooked up. It only consumes 180 watts. 180 divided by 5 is 45. Times that by 80% effeciency and you're looking at about 35 wpc which is about what most receivers in that price range will do. 80, 100, 110, etc. You really won't be able to tell the difference even if those numbers were actually accurate. The 509 will actually be a bit more powerfull than your JCV because Onkyo uses a very good amp section (second maybe to Harman kardon). A new receiver also has many settings and features that really enchance the sound quality like Audyssey room correction and the ability to decode the new Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats found on BluRay discs. The 509 is a nice entry level receiver that will really be an upgrade from the JVC, which may have been nice in it's day, but it's day has passed. Also consider the Denon 1612 (my personal favorite in that price range), Pioneer 821, Yamaha 471 and H/K 2650 but the 509 is a very choice at that price.
Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks