What's new

An R-Rated GALAXY QUEST Cut Exists Somewhere?! (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Love the movie in its present incarnation and would love to sex-filled/cursing version![/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]From SyFy's [/COLOR]Blastr News Page[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]: [/COLOR]

Most sci-fi fans know of the (semi) family-friendly Galaxy Quest, which served as a capable and sometimes hilarious meta spoof on Star Trek. But did you know the original cut of the PG film was actually rated R?

In an interview with Collider, John Carter producer Lindsey Collins spilled about a meeting she had with Galaxy Quest star Sigourney Weaver, who told her that a sexy, curse-filled cut of the movie is floating around out there somewhere.File this one under awesome.

"We had lunch with Sigourney [Weaver] who was telling us that there actually used to be an R-rated version of that movie which was awesome. It was the director's cut and it was R-rated and everybody was swearing and there were sex scenes, and the whole thing," Collins said. "They didn't know what to do with it, so they had to re-edit the whole thing and made it what it is today. We were like, 'How do we get our hands on the R-rated version ofGalaxy Quest?' She said 'I don't know!' and we were like, 'Come on, Sigourney!'"

Considering the genre and premise, it seems the studio felt a softer cut would have a better chance at success. It's not terribly shocking to believe, as the theatrical cut did have that vibe of raunchy adult overtones floating just below the surface—but our curiosity is definitely piqued to see this lost version.What do you think? Should the studio put out an ultra-awesome-R-rated director's cut?

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
It sounds interesting that is for sure. I would guess it would almost be a totally different movie. I didn't remember that the movie was PG. I guess I need to sit down and watch it with my son at some point.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Didn't Tony say that his character was stoned which explained why he wasn't freaked out being on the spaceship?

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
There's definitely some changes in the movie where the lips show the actor saying a swear word that was overdubbed later. Just type "galaxy quest cursing dubbed" into Google and you'll see lots of discussion. But I like the movie as it is.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
The movie is an absolute classic as it currently is. Making any additions or changes (as the suggestion of uncovering R rated material), would be a great disservice to one of the greatest films made in the last 20 years.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Would it be any different to releasing any of the "unrated" versions of comedy movie made over the last twenty years? A conscious move was made by Dreamworks to shift the picture into family viewing territory by making a dialogue substitution defusing an F-bomb and cutting a scene of Sigourney Weaver coming on to a couple of goons and dropping a steel door on them. The latter scene is available on both DVD and Bluray and would do little for the movie being added back in by seamless branching IMHO. I think if there had been any more material on the cutting room floor it would have been included in previous editions, so I don't think this mythical "R-Rated" version would actually be greatly different from the movie we all know and love.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Though I don't think upping the raunchy factor to R-rating levels would fit in with the tone of Galaxy Quest, I WOULD like a PG-13 version that reinstates Sigourney Weaver's f-bomb when she and Tim Allen have to cross the "Chomper" room. Somehow the phrase, "Screw that!" doesn't do the situation justice. It's not helped by the fact you can clearly see her mouth is not saying the word "screw."

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Personally, that was the biggest laugh in the picture for me and my family. I'd think it would be a good compromise to offer an alternative soundtrack which reinstates the f-bomb and Tommy's "You are so full of **it!" (and any other instances of substitution).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
jim_falconer said:
The movie is an absolute classic as it currently is. Making any additions or changes (as the suggestion of uncovering R rated material), would be a great disservice to one of the greatest films made in the last 20 years.
I like the movie plenty but would never think it was one of the greatest movies during any 20 year period.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by TonyD

I like the movie plenty but would never think it was one of the greatest movies during any 20 year period.

To each his own. To me, there hasn't been a better movie made in a long time. It's a great ensemble comedy and also a terrific homage to the the original Star Trek. If I had to guess, I'd say I've seen Galaxy Quest at least 2 dozen times...and I'd venture to say I'll be watching it that many times in the future as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks