Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

iCloud + Digital Copy destroys any need for Ultraviolet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,065 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted March 09 2012 - 01:48 AM

Here we go!

Tech of the Hub’s Gabe Gagliano unearthed a particularly nice new feature: in addition to storing movies purchased through iTunes in the cloud, Apple will also back up at least some digital copies of movies that come with purchases of a DVD or Blu-ray. As Gagliano points out, this hidden feature is somewhere between iTunes Match for movies and Ultraviolet‘s disc-based movie locker: I purchased the 2009 release of Star Trek on Blu-ray which came with a digital copy… In the earlier versions of the Apple TV software, I was able to watch it via iTunes home sharing, streaming from my iMac (and iTunes had to be running). However, I can now stream the movie directly from Apple’s cloud. Star Trek shows up under my purchased titles and the iCloud icon appears with it. It’s just like iTunes match for music! I doubt it goes as far as iTunes music match, grabbing any movie it finds, including ripped DVDs. What Apple is doing here seems very similar to UltraViolet. Star Trek streamed in 720P and Dolby Digital (in theory it will be in 1080P from the new Apple TV). Apple calls this the “iTunes Digital Copy,” program; it’s been around for a while, and according to Apple, “most of the movies you buy on DVD and Blu-ray now include bonus iTunes Digital Copy discs.” The cloud matching doesn’t enable any new digital movie copies, but it makes it much easier to actually stream them to the Apple TV, or any other iCloud-capable device, from an iPhone to an iPad or another Mac.

Like I said, Ultraviolet solves a problem nobody has, and now that there is an even better solution that makes an -EXISTING- feature even better there really is no reason for UV to continue. Unless, that is, you refuse to use any Apple products. Have fun with that. http://www.wired.com...tunes-and-more/ http://m.electronist...imited.to.720p/ Can't wait to see the responses to this one. /grin

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#2 of 27 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted March 09 2012 - 02:13 AM

Well, kind of.   Ultraviolet's whole real point to the end user (at least as far as I'm concerned) is that it reasoned the "own once" policy, which basically made it at best VERY MURKY in regards to a user backing up their own content.. as far as most are concerned, it made it virtually a given, especially with later extensions made to UV.

In the end, I generally dislike both basic systems; the fundamental problem with any of these online digital locker solutions is that you are tied to what the companies want to put in their digital lockers, which isn't going to be a lot of rarities.  More then that, it may not even be the versions you want.. and what if you buy a version and find that it's been changed after the fact (looking at you, George Lucas!) does your digital locker keep it as the way you originally purchased it, or is it changed to store the 'new updated'.. these are questions no one is quite sure of.

The digital locker format is a great concept in that for most people hunting for the most popular movies, it works great.  And I guess people really don't care a whole lot about full HD audio, etc. we'll settle for "good enough" which is fine for traveling with, certainly. 

But I don't know if I ever have any real interest in signing up to anything that will store my film and movie collection online.   I'm not sure I want people having that much information on me.. sure, it's not happening now, but the next step is "now with iGenius 4, we see you sure like a lot of XYZ, would you be interested in supporting cause ABC?"   We can say "oh that won't happen.." eventually, data tends to find a way to grow in all the expected ways, like weeds.

Then again, I keep thinking of Carman's mother in German pr0n, and having that digested ;)

I guess that's my "get off my lawn" rant.  :)

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 27 OFFLINE   dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted March 09 2012 - 02:15 AM

I have only seen about 38 of my 100 or so digital copies make it up there. UV is dead to me the last few times I tried using it it kept going to buffer. It was like there servers couldn't keep up where I was able to stream from Netflix just fine. I have been waiting for Apple to add this and 1080p support for Apple TV. I'm now very close to pulling the trigger on Apple TV.

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#4 of 27 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,065 posts

Posted March 09 2012 - 02:48 AM

Fox and Universal aren't on board yet David, that could account for it. Word is they should be within a few weeks. I know it's not a perfect launch but it's better than UV which will NEVER get Disney on board. Matt: Your objections are covered by the fact that with so called Digital Downloads you get a copy of the file you can control yourself if that's what you want to do. The Locker is only used when you don't want to manage those.

#5 of 27 OFFLINE   Cory S.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted March 09 2012 - 05:28 AM

Fox and Universal aren't on board yet David, that could account for it. Word is they should be within a few weeks. I know it's not a perfect launch but it's better than UV which will NEVER get Disney on board. Matt: Your objections are covered by the fact that with so called Digital Downloads you get a copy of the file you can control yourself if that's what you want to do. The Locker is only used when you don't want to manage those.

Yep. And with this, I'm basically tied to Apple for as long as I love movies. I'm not completely dumping BD. But for me, this is it. I've been trying to find a way to still collect movies and yet get rid of the physical nature of the collecting culture when it comes to movie collections. Say what you will about the quality of BD and DVD but, it's becoming taxing trying to manage the physical space to keep all of this stuff and maintain it. Not to mention, time. In theory, yes, I could just go to the theatre (which I do alot) or rent instead of purchasing (which I don't do as often) but I still like the idea of a collection. This feature gives me what I think I've been searching for. I guess the only unanswered question is what happens if and probably when these license agreements with the studios end with Apple? What happens to our digital locker? Oh, and bye bye large HD's.
"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves.  But, not the one it needs right now.  So, we'll hunt.  Because he can take.  Because, he's not a hero.  He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector.  A DARK KNIGHT."

#6 of 27 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts

Posted March 09 2012 - 05:54 AM

I'll have to see how universally playable the file structure is.. ie, can it be played inside of something that is not an apple device?   If no, then it's kind of 'eh' for me.  I need true universal portability.

trakt.tv

#7 of 27 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,065 posts

Posted March 09 2012 - 06:07 AM

Keep in mind that the -media- side of iCloud is not accessible from the www.icloud.com domain but there is no reason to assume that will always be the case. Once the HTML5 version of iTunes Match gets tied into it you could theoretically access it from any device.

#8 of 27 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,065 posts

Posted March 09 2012 - 03:45 PM

CHECK YOUR LIBRARIES. 3 of my Disney Movies (Monsters Inc, Up and Wall-E) were n my hard drive but not showing in iCloud. I re-redeemed em and they popped into iCloud, but get this, they had to fully download again before they showed. No sweat but if I'm due em I want em. Now to just figure out how to get iTunes codes for the UV movies I won't redeem, Hugo and Green Lantern... ;) Anyone know if this is still working? http://gigaom.com/vi...es-ultraviolet/

#9 of 27 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,065 posts

Posted March 10 2012 - 10:05 AM

Cool, WB is indeed gonna send me a code (via snail mail!?!). Will have to serif Paramount will too.

#10 of 27 OFFLINE   Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 793 posts

Posted March 12 2012 - 12:38 AM

Cool, WB is indeed gonna send me a code (via snail mail!?!). Will have to serif Paramount will too.

Sam do you have the number or email to get in contact with Warner? I have several that I would like to get codes for as well.
Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#11 of 27 OFFLINE   Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 793 posts

Posted March 12 2012 - 12:49 AM

Yep. And with this, I'm basically tied to Apple for as long as I love movies. I'm not completely dumping BD. But for me, this is it. I've been trying to find a way to still collect movies and yet get rid of the physical nature of the collecting culture when it comes to movie collections. Say what you will about the quality of BD and DVD but, it's becoming taxing trying to manage the physical space to keep all of this stuff and maintain it. Not to mention, time. In theory, yes, I could just go to the theatre (which I do alot) or rent instead of purchasing (which I don't do as often) but I still like the idea of a collection. This feature gives me what I think I've been searching for. I guess the only unanswered question is what happens if and probably when these license agreements with the studios end with Apple? What happens to our digital locker? Oh, and bye bye large HD's.

That's the big question for me as well. What does happen if the agreements expire? They need to spell that out clearly or give us notice so we can download our copies. This could be a big issue for them in the future as I can see this setting up for lawsuits or if it effects many people congressional action. We do need a e commerce bill of rights for things like this. I do think Apples system is seamless and very consumer friendly. I was pleasantly surprised to see most of my digital copies acknowledged as a past purchase thru the iTunes system. Their DRM isn't too top heavy although some may disagree since their DRM has recently been cracked. (except that you cannot play it currently on anything but apple products or a PC). I am also happy to see what they are doing with their AppleTV product.
Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#12 of 27 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,065 posts

Posted March 12 2012 - 03:18 AM

Sam do you have the number or email to get in contact with Warner? I have several that I would like to get codes for as well.

sure, here ya go: http://support.ultra...t.flixster.com/ I didn't research the Paramount link yet.

#13 of 27 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,065 posts

Posted March 12 2012 - 06:33 AM

Studios warming: http://online.wsj.co...MjExNDIyWj.html

#14 of 27 OFFLINE   Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 793 posts

Posted March 12 2012 - 01:50 PM

sure, here ya go: http://support.ultra...t.flixster.com/ I didn't research the Paramount link yet.

Thanks Sam! Sarah

#15 of 27 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,065 posts

Posted March 14 2012 - 03:20 AM

quality comparoo: http://arstechnica.c...ay-shootout.ars

#16 of 27 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,275 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted March 14 2012 - 03:33 AM

Do digital redemption codes still expire? If so this too is useless to me. I've got a handful of discs with digital copies. But I think the codes all expired. I don't think about getting the copy until I specifically want it, and then it's too late. I If so, this

#17 of 27 OFFLINE   Cory S.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted March 14 2012 - 04:00 AM

Do digital redemption codes still expire? If so this too is useless to me. I've got a handful of discs with digital copies. But I think the codes all expired. I don't think about getting the copy until I specifically want it, and then it's too late. I If so, this

They say they do expire but a lot of the times, they don't. Purchased Clash of the Titans 2011 on BD last week. The code expired, I think 8 months ago. It still worked.
"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves.  But, not the one it needs right now.  So, we'll hunt.  Because he can take.  Because, he's not a hero.  He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector.  A DARK KNIGHT."

#18 of 27 OFFLINE   Shane D

Shane D

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted March 18 2012 - 03:36 AM

ive been going thru and redeeming all the digital copies i still had on my shelf, the only one that had expired was scott pilgrim. everything else i've had has worked.

#19 of 27 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted March 19 2012 - 09:07 AM

Not sure if you were finished Dave....but I too only redeemed digital copies, after I had a specific need (traveling). But I don't understand how studios hope to "sell" a copy of anything with an expiration date. Either sell it to me, or give it to me. I can understand either:

a. giving away a free copy and putting an expiration date on that. IE: "for a limited time, with the purchase of this Blu-ray, a free: (digital copy, cheeseburger, you name it). It's a promotional item added as an incentive.

b. selling a digital copy for a period of time and then removing it from the market place. IE: selling some cheese and when it's expired, it's thrown away & removed from sale. But these digital copies continue to reside in the box with the physical package well after their expiration date. Shouldn't a discount be offered because this expired thing was still being sold?

#20 of 27 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts

Posted March 19 2012 - 09:14 AM

I've tried to figure out how this relates to me.   So, I have my new iPad3.  It's connected to my iTunes account, (which also has iMatch or whatever on it).  I redeem some digital codes, iTunes downloads the flick, fine.. but they don't show up as streamable on my iPad anywhere.. am I missing something here?

trakt.tv