What's new

Streaming: What is the best service and means for paid rentals? (1 Viewer)

tomcar

Auditioning
Real Name
tom
I'm new here and have a ton of questions! I got a new (2011 actually) Panasonic 1080p Plasma last month and am trying to figure out whats the best way to Stream rentals. Ive been using Netflix and Redbox for years and am quite used to them. My tv has a few "apps" including Netflix, Amazon Prime, Cinema Now and my Samsung Blu-ray has Vudu and Cinema Now. I am thinking about getting a Roku box or a new Apple tv box (I use an iMac). The Roku will bring HuluPlus and The Apple TV will bring iTunes. So each has its pros... If you "The Expert" is gonna stream a new movie, what is the highest quality way to do it? Thanks, Tom

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm not sure if you're asking about devices or services. For services, my take is that at this point all of the products have limitations. I'd say the best is Netflix. I dropped them on principle back in Sep11, and am now using Amazon. Amazon works fine, but has less free content. If you don't mund renting the movie, they have plenty. As for devices, Roku has a nice interface, but I'm quite happy going through my DVD player or receiver. The DVD/receivers that I've tried are not quite as polished as Roku, but not by much; and they are integrated so take one connection out of the equation.

tomcar

Auditioning
Real Name
tom
Thanks for the reply. I am talking about both. Example: If I want to rent movie X, not stream old catalogue movies like Netflix and Hulu plus, what is the best (highest quality, best price) way to do it? Is the Amazon Prime feed going through Roku better than renting through iTunes and Apple TV? What about Cinema Now through my Blu Ray? I am hoping someone has figured this out :) And btw I have good hdmi cables and 17meg download speeds.

Eddie W.

Stunt Coordinator
I've found VUDU to have the best quality among the streaming PPV services. Most new releases are available in 1080p with Dolby Digital Plus audio (if you have a receiver capable of decoding it). Plus their catalog is much deeper than most others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks