Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Disney announces: The Color of Money; Ransom; Cocktail (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,959 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted June 06 2012 - 05:54 AM

Third time's the charm! I'm glad to report that the Ransom Blu-ray looks super! The disc sports a very pleasing image, sharp but not processed, nice and clean. Got it for $12.99 at Best Buy. Also nice not to see a Mill Creek or Echo Bridge logo on the back cover.
RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,187 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted June 06 2012 - 09:07 AM

Nice to hear about Ransom. I'm holding my thumbs the same is true for "The Color Of Money".

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted June 06 2012 - 10:36 AM

Very disappointing that "The Color of Money," directed by Martin Scorsese, earned an academy award for Paul Newman, and also starring Tom Cruise, who is still a very big star, is touted as a "25th Anniversary Edition," but doesn't contain ONE SINGLE EXTRA.

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,187 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted June 06 2012 - 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williams /t/319091/disney-announces-the-color-of-money-ransom-cocktail-blu-ray#post_3935279 Very disappointing that "The Color of Money," directed by Martin Scorsese, earned an academy award for Paul Newman, and also starring Tom Cruise, who is still a very big star, is touted as a "25th Anniversary Edition," but doesn't contain ONE SINGLE EXTRA.
Agree, but at the $13 pre-order that's winging away to me as I type I'm really hoping for a great transfer. :(

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,402 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 06 2012 - 11:19 AM

It definitely blows the old DVD out of the water, but I only checked it on a 40"-ish monitor at work, so I'll leave the more specific scrutiny to others.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 830 posts

Posted June 07 2012 - 02:06 AM

COM Blu Ray is very disappointing. Looks like it was made for DVD with no HD fidelity in mind. Not good enough any more, even at reduced price. http://www.blu-ray.c...y/39675/#Review

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Hank E

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator

• 159 posts

Posted June 07 2012 - 07:19 AM

COM Blu Ray is very disappointing. Looks like it was made for DVD with no HD fidelity in mind. Not good enough any more, even at reduced price.
http://www.blu-ray.c...y/39675/#Review

The DVD Beaver.com review offers a different viewpoint.

http://www.dvdbeaver...ney_blu-ray.htm

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,625 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 07 2012 - 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank E /t/319091/disney-announces-the-color-of-money-ransom-cocktail-blu-ray#post_3935633

Shocking!

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,187 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted June 07 2012 - 08:19 AM

It's already on it's way to my house so I guess I'll spin it instead of returning it if it's piss poor.

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,402 posts

Posted June 07 2012 - 08:49 AM

Well, like I said before, in a small sample size it looked to me to trounce the DVD. My co-worker - who is a Scorsese nut - was quite adamant that it was a big improvement from the DVD to his eyes. But again, we were checking a couple scenes on a 40" monitor, with only our memories of the DVD in our minds.   I never saw the film theatrically so I have no idea if it's photography lends itself to looking muted. It wouldn't completely shock me, as it is a film that mostly takes place in dimly lit bars. Or this could just be wrong.   For what it's worth, at bluray.com some people are saying it's pretty much how it's looked on recent HBO/HDNet broadcasts.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,833 posts

Posted June 07 2012 - 09:52 AM

I never saw the film theatrically so I have no idea if it's photography lends itself to looking muted. It wouldn't completely shock me, as it is a film that mostly takes place in dimly lit bars. Or this could just be wrong.
I viewed it theatrically, but that is so long ago that I don't completely trust my memory. Having said that, my (vague) recollection is that the film does have a dark, muted, gritty look to it. There are a number of dimly lit interior scenes in the film, so I do not expect the BD transfer to 'pop'. The BD is already on its way; perhaps I'll give it a spin this weekend. - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,402 posts

Posted June 07 2012 - 10:24 AM

Some interesting info:

"The color of money, everybody knows, is green. The color of pool table felt in Martin Scorsese's 1986 movie The Color of Money is ... blue? Wait a sec--rewind. That's not quite right, is it? Actually, it's wrong. The blue pool tables in The Color of Money have nagged the makers of the film since it was shot. When Scorsese began preproduction on the sequel to the classic movie The Hustler, he toyed with the idea of shooting in black and white. The studio, Touchstone, wasn't crazy about the idea, so Scorsese opted instead to "paint with color" for this story of an aging pool shark (Paul Newman) and his cocky young protégé (Tom Cruise). For the first two-thirds of the film, which takes place largely in a wintry Chicago, Scorsese, production designer Boris Leven and cinematographer Michael Ballhaus designed the film in gray, black and white. The results were striking, with one slight hitch: "Because of the nature of the lighting, the green felt of the pool tables kept going blue," recalls film editor Thelma Schoonmaker, a longtime Scorsese collaborator. "There was nothing we could do about it, because we wanted to make sure the skin tones were right, and the overall look of the film was right; so we let it go."

Last summer, Schoonmaker was at New York's Technicolor Creative Services staring at those blue pool tables again. When the film was first made, there was no fix for the problem, but thanks to digital technology, she could now correct it easily. "All we had to do was open digital windows on the pool tables and fill them in with green, without affecting the rest of the shot," Schoonmaker explains. Why was a multiple-Oscar-winning editor concerned with color correction on a 20-year-old movie? Because, like many classics from Hollywood's archives, The Color of Money is about to be reborn."

"I held off writing about [Gangs of New York's first Blu-ray release] until I got an assignment from Popular Mechanics in the fall of '08, to write a major feature on the craft and art of high-definition digital transfer and how it relates to Blu-ray discs of classic and contemporary films. My hook—my 'you are almost kinda-sorta-there' anecdote for the lede—involved Martin Scorsese's editor Thelma Schoonmaker supervising a high-def transfer of Scorsese's The Color of Money. In the course of my interview with Schoonmaker, I brought up the Gangs Blu-ray, which another of my interview subjects, film preservationist and restoration expert Robert H. Harris, pronounced as among one of the worst he'd ever seen. Schoonmaker practically shuddered when I brought it up, saying that while she hadn't yet seen it, that it had been made without the input of her and Scorsese, and that she had heard what a disaster it was, and that she was almost afraid to look at it."

"Scorsese's The Color of Money is arguably an improved product over even its theatrical release, because it was remastered with care and attention."

http://www.popularme...eater/4295496-2

Would Disney really not bother to use the new supervised HD master for this blu-ray when they spent all the $$ to make it? Seems unlikely to me.

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 830 posts

Posted June 07 2012 - 12:49 PM

That site never stops to "amaze" me...

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 830 posts

Posted June 07 2012 - 01:01 PM

Would Disney really not bother to use the new supervised HD master for this blu-ray when they spent all the $$ to make it? Seems unlikely to me.
Who knows. The stills show a pasty mess of a transfer.

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,795 posts

Posted June 07 2012 - 02:12 PM

As "disappointing" as the blu-ray of COM may be, the stills alone give the impression that it is noticeably improved over the DVD. I look forward to more reviews of this particular item. I'm having a hard time being convinced it this has a 1/5 video transfer. I'm guessing its an "average" quality blu-ray. I've never bought the DVD, so I'll likely pick it up eventually since I doubt Disney will finance any sort of restoration anytime soon.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,187 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted June 07 2012 - 02:24 PM

Someone get a copy to Robert Harris, QUICK! 

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   AL KUENSTER

AL KUENSTER

Second Unit

• 359 posts

Posted June 08 2012 - 01:50 PM

1 out of 5 for Color of Money does not sound promising, but Bluray.com said it was the best it has looked on home video, for whatever that is worth.
Al Kuenster

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Hank E

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator

• 159 posts

Posted June 08 2012 - 06:46 PM

I was able to watch it last night. I was hoping DVDBeaver's review was going to be the more accurate one and that the dark/gritty/muted colors look was what had people so upset (I'm sure 90% of the "lynch mob" at blu-ray.com hasn't even seen it). Unfortunately it does look like an encoding problem. I'm not enough of an expert to say exactly what happened, but the image has been way over-processed. Faces are very pasty with a two-toned look, contrast in some scenes is too high, and I think edge enhancement is one of the big problems. There are several scenes where Tom Cruise looks like he's been cut and pasted into the movie. Also, near the end of the movie where Helen Shaver is in Newman's hotel room and she hands him the cue chalk there's a close-up of their hands.... I had to pause and go back because I couldn't tell what I was looking at. Newman's fingers are two different colors (and neither is flesh toned!). It looks almost like a painting, pink and orange. I went back and forth with the DVD on a few scenes and while the blu-ray is cleaner and a little clearer, I have to say I think I'll stick with the DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users