-

Photo
- - - - -

Campaign for the release of "1776" to Blu-ray: Spread the Word!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,595 posts

Posted March 06 2012 - 01:51 PM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

CAMPAIGN 

FOR THE RELEASE OF 

TO BLU-RAY

Here is the situation as I know it at this point...

Sony had put "1776" on its schedule for Blu-ray release.  It was to be released this July.  It was supposed to be the Special Edition release that fans had been begging for ever since the Restored Director's Cut DVD release in 2002, which was a bit of a disappointment compared to the Pioneer Laserdisc Editon 10 years prior.

That 1992 laserdisc release of 1776 was one of the most incredible video restorations ever done. It incorporated 40 minutes worth of footage that had never been seen by the public since early screenings in 1972.

Director Peter Hunt had agreed to go back to the editing table and put back many of the sequences that originally appeared in the 1992 laserdisc, but were omitted in the 2002 Director's Cut DVD.  The branching features of Blu-ray would allow viewers to select between the Theatrical, Director's Cut and Kitchen Sink versions.

Sony suddenly pulled the title from its release schedule most likely over concern that they could not effectively sell this catalog release.  As all of you are aware, the classic market has been greatly shrinking over the past few years and studios are licensing such releases to other companies.

Peter Hunt is willing to give the fans the release they have been asking for.  There is a wealth of material that can be put back into this film.

In order for Sony to put this project back on schedule for 2013, they need to be convinced that they can sell such an extravagant Blu-ray release of a classic musical.

It is my understanding, it would not be impossible to convince Sony to reconsider their plans if enough interest were shown.

We need all fans of this film to do the following:

1. Send an email to Sony at this address:  consumer@sphecustomersupport.sony.com

2. Send a snail mail to Sony at this address:

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment

c/o Marketing

10202 West Washington Blvd.

Culver City, CA, 90232-3195

3. Go on other Blu-ray and film discussion forums and bring this message to their members.  This is extremely important.  We cannot effectively run this campaign from one forum only.  

I have provided a sample of what you can write to Sony.  However, I am sure many of you can do better.

Please reprint the letters you write to Sony in this thread to help and motivate others compose their own.

Dear Sony,

It is our understanding that plans were initially put forward to release an extended Special Edition of the 1972 film, "1776" to Blu-ray.

However, fans are now learning that those plans have been cancelled.I understand Sony is very apprehensive about putting out classic titles that they feel won't sell.However, we are asking fans "1776" to write emails and letters to Sony in hopes of convincing the studio that there is a large number of individuals willing to purchase the Special Edition they have been waiting years to surface.

Director Peter Hunt is willing to use the branching features of  Blu-ray to incorporate cut footage that fans have not seen since a laserdisc release of the film in the early 1990s.  We feel this is the very last opportunity your studio may have to put together the ultimate fan edition and make it available on a disc format.  

Please consider putting "1776" back on schedule and allowing Director Peter Hunt to assemble a release that will be widely embraced by a huge fanbase who have loved this musical for the past 40 years.

Thank you in advance.

Ron Epstein

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 30 GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,120 posts

Posted March 06 2012 - 02:04 PM

Count me in.

Dear Sony, I understand from reading the online forums that a Blu-ray release for the movie 1776 was being planned for release this year, as a Special Edition, including branching features to include footage cut from previous versions. I am a fan of this movie, already own the DVD, and would be eager to purchase it in the Blu-ray format upon release. However, now I understand that the plans for its release may have been cancelled. Say it isn't so! Please accept my vote that you reconsider and proceed with plans to release this fine musical production so that fans may enjoy it in the best home video format. Thank you,

#3 of 30 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,495 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted March 06 2012 - 02:17 PM

Letter sent:

Dear Sony, I understand from reading Home Theater Forum that there were plans to release the musical 1776 on blu-ray this year, but that those plans have been shelved. Please reconsider! I owned the Pioneer Special Edition laserdisc that restored some 40 minutes of footage to the cut film, then the DVD that restored less but was longer than the original theatrical run-time. I would definitely buy the blu-ray if you released it. Now I understand that 1776 director Peter Hunt has expressed interest in using the seamless branching feature of blu-ray discs to present the longer version of the movie, including scenes that have not been seen since the Pioneer Special Edition laserdisc. This is my holy grail blu-ray title. Please consider putting it back on the release schedule, and engaging Peter Hunt to prepare a special edition that all the fans of 1776 would love. Respectfully, Steve Tannehill

(OK, Remo Williams is also my holy grail...I can have two, can't I? :D )

#4 of 30 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted March 06 2012 - 02:44 PM

Thanks, Ron!  I sent a brief e-mail note and will follow up with a snail mail letter also.

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#5 of 30 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,595 posts

Posted March 06 2012 - 02:47 PM

Thanks, guys.

Very important to do snail mail as well.

I believe the studio will take it more seriously than email
(though not to belittle the importance of sending electronically).

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#6 of 30 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,695 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 06 2012 - 03:53 PM

Here it goes for the snail mail.  To help 1776 and the USPO.  Here's to success.
Quote:
Dear Sony:

This past summer I was very excited to hear of news that you were considering and planning a Blu-ray release of 1776.  It was even more encouraging that you had planned to include the director, Peter Hunt in those plans and create an excellent special edition of this wonderful film. 

However, I am now learning from many posts on the internet that you have reconsidered those plans and have placed it on the back burner.  I am writing you to ask that you reconsider this decision and move forward on releasing a Special Edition of this wonderful film.  I own the laser disc and the DVD and treasure both of those incarnations.  A Blu-ray incorporating both versions along with Peter Hunt’s involvement would create a very special presentation. 

Please place this important film back on your schedule and I am sure you will be happy with its acceptance by its large fan base and others that will discover this film. 

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#7 of 30 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,368 posts

Posted March 06 2012 - 04:06 PM

This was an email...I may go ahead and do a snail mail version tomorrow. Dear Sony, I was disappointed to hear that plans for a blu-ray edition of the film musical "1776" had been cancelled. This is a favorite film of mine, and I would like to see it in all its high definition glory. I understood that the original director was willing to go back and make a final director's version of the film, and that would be a plus. I was looking forward to seeing the deleted scenes and any other extras that may have been produced. I hope that Sony reconsiders 1776's blu-ray potential for the recent future. This and many other wonderful films and television shows in your catalog will be instantly purchased by me and many others the moment you make them available! Thank you

#8 of 30 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,595 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 01:55 AM

If any of you are members of other DVD/BD discussion

forums, please forward this campaign there.

We are not asking you to provide a link back to HTF
if you think it will cause problems, but at least get the

message, email and snail mail addresses out to other fans.

Thanks

Ronald J Epstein

#9 of 30 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,867 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 07 2012 - 02:16 AM

Ron,

It has been posted with a link to this thread on bluray.com in the whishlist section, hopefuly it helps

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#10 of 30 David_B_K

David_B_K

Screenwriter

• 1,469 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 02:36 AM

Thanks for kicking off the campaign, Ron. I, too will send both electronic and snail mails to Sony.

#11 of 30 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,495 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted March 07 2012 - 04:34 AM

I'll snail mail this weekend. Thanks everyone for your help!

#12 of 30 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,161 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 07 2012 - 04:36 AM

I should be able to get both of mine off later today.

#13 of 30 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,495 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted March 07 2012 - 05:19 AM

Just got the following from Sony:

Dear Steve, Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your interest in Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) products. SPHE is grateful for your feedback and comments regarding our products. We are forwarding this information to our marketing department for future consideration. Thank you for your continued patronage and for taking the time to contact us. Regards, Jeremy Kimmel SPHE Consumer Affairs

#14 of 30 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,177 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 07 2012 - 06:08 AM

Here's my email:

Dear Sony,

I have been extremely impressed with the quality of catalogue titles you have released. I was excited to hear that 1776 was coming to Blu-Ray in the 1990s and that director Peter H. Hunt was going to create a "kitchen sink" version that included everything from the 1992 Pioneer Laserdisc as well as the 2002 Director's Cut and the theatrical version via seamless branching. I was even more shocked and saddened to learn it has been pulled from the schedule.

Lots of people were upset that Mr. Hunt did not include all the scenes from the laserdisc version onto the DVD version. For this reason, I still have my laserdisc along with the DVD. I would be willing to purchase a Blu-Ray set that included all three versions (similar to the Close Encounters of the Third Kind Blu-Ray), and I would definitely encourage others I know with an interest in movies and musicals to do the same. I would also love to see more extras included, such as the isolated music score that appeared on the LD but not the DVD.

There is an interest in classic movies on Blu-ray if they are done right and people are aware they exist. I have been championing them for years to my friends, and I would love to be able to show them the definitive version of 1776 in my home theater on an upcoming Independence Day.

Thanks for your time, and I trust the eventual release will be a spectacular one.

Sincerely,

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#15 of 30 classictvfan91

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted March 09 2012 - 01:44 AM

Here is my letter: Sony Pictures Home Entertainment c/o Marketing 10202 West Washington Boulevard Culver City, CA 90232-3195 Dear Sony: Several months ago, I heard that you were planning a special Blu-Ray edition of the movie "1776". I have recently learned that these plans have been cancelled. There are many fans who still want to see it on Blu-Ray. Peter Hunt, the director of the movie, has agreed to use the branching feature of Blu-Ray so viewers can select between the Theatrical version (1972), the 2002 version, and a "Kitchen Sink" version. There is a lot of material to restore to the movie. Will you please reconsider "1776", so Peter Hunt can put this release together? Also, I would like to see special features on this edition, including three audio commentaries (1992, 2002, and a new commentary), a documentary on the making of the movie, trailers, screen tests, extra footage with Howard Da Silva as Benjamin Franklin, the "St. Elsewhere" episode based on "1776", production notes, and more.

#16 of 30 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,161 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 09 2012 - 09:52 AM

Sorry for delay.  Emailed this today, and just signed my, uh, John Hancock to the paper version which will be in the snail-mail within the hour:

Dear Sony:

It has been my understanding from reading Home Theater Forum that plans were put forward to release an extended special edition of the 1972 film "1776" to Blu-ray.  I have subsequently learned that those plans have been cancelled or postponed indefinitely.

It was also my understanding that director Peter Hunt is willing to use the branching capabilities of Blu-ray to incorporate all versions of the film, each of which has a multitude of fans.  Many are happy with the theatrical cut as released on DVD.  I and many others are much more thrilled with the laserdisc cut assembled with Mr. Hunt’s cooperation and blessing in the early 1990s.  A new “final director’s version” by Mr. Hunt would also be most welcome.

As one of the purest translations of a hit Broadway musical ever filmed, featuring many of its original cast and creators, “1776” is priceless, and a “kitchen sink” version incorporating all available footage represents a unique opportunity in the history of both theater and film.  In addition, there already exists a wealth of supplemental material that a deluxe edition of “1776” deserves.

I know scores of people who, like me, have waited for this release to surface for years, and for whom “1776” will be a first-day purchase.  Please put "1776" on schedule and allow director Peter Hunt to assemble a release that will be widely embraced by the fans who have loved this musical for the past 40 years.

Sincerely,

#17 of 30 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,161 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted April 10 2012 - 06:56 AM

It was quite a disappointment to find this in my mailbox today, nearly a full month after being mailed.

You can't see it all, thanks to the sticker, but I can assure you I proofread that sucker before letting it go.

Did anyone else get one back, or could this be a fluke?
If there's another address to use, or if this is still confirmed to be correct, I'll be more than happy to send it again.

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#18 of 30 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,595 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 07:29 AM

Yup.  Got mine returned as well.

Really pissed off that nobody at Sony wanted to
accept the mail.  It went to the correct address and

I confirmed it with someone at the studio.

Ronald J Epstein

#19 of 30 classictvfan91

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted April 11 2012 - 07:24 AM

A couple of weeks ago, I got an email from Bill Hunt of The Digital Bits on this, and he said that Sony told him that 1776 is still coming. He says that he will try to find out more about it.

#20 of 30 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,595 posts

Posted April 11 2012 - 01:35 PM

Bill may be basing that response on old information.

We all thought 1776 was still a "go." I actually did not

find out otherwise until I contacted the studio directly.

I will try and find out if the title is back on track or not

and get back to all of you.

Ronald J Epstein

Forum Nav Content I Follow